3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flintknapping Tutorial  (Read 3579 times)

Offline pjsnell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flintknapping Tutorial
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
Beautiful!

I have often wondered how strong these blades would be (more importantly, how long it would be before I snap the tip off).

I will be buying a copy of Mr. Blackwell's DVD.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
Excellent!!!

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
Thanks Woody, got your DVD in december what a great tutorial! Been looking for chert  ever since, only to find out it is EVERYWHERE! Appears in bands in dolomitic rock.I grew up in sight of the Cradle of Humankind /Sterkfontein, Kromdraai etc I Lived out there for a few years and would find middle stone age and a few later stone age handaxes etc. At last I can follow a clear process,the knife is fabulous.
Chrisg

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
like I have been telling you....YOU'RE THE MAN!!! In or out of a pimp suit!   :scared:      :biglaugh:

I got to lay on a couch in an air conditioned hunting camp last July for two afternoons and watch this stuff being done.

You fellas wouldn't believe how fast Woody is at this stuff...while talking mind you, explaining what he was doing, his hands were like swallows flitting over a mosquito pond- moving, hitting ever so gently- flipping- studying- tapping- and a rock the size of a small boulder became a hand held 9 inch knife that was paper thin and razor sharp in less than two hours. the man has so much talent...and if you can believe it, he's only been doing this for about 10 years.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
Woody, you just make that look so easy... but I know better!  You're a real artist at work here, and it sure is cool to watch the process.  Thanks!
Last summer at Comptons I was sorely tempted to buy one of your blades, but didn't pull the trigger.  I don't know how long I can keep resisting!  Those are beautiful!  :notworthy:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
Really nice tute Woody, thanks. This one has got to go on the tute page!!!  :notworthy:    :archer:
Andrew

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Many thanks, all.  Pjsnell, as far as cutting soft tissue goes, nothing is better.  If you're taking a hip joint apart, the blade will break.  The stone is just too brittle to take that kind of bending and twisting.

Ray, I know I look young and beautiful (HAH!!!), but I've been at this for almost 17 years.  And I was a late bloomer, at that.  GGG   I was in my early 30s when I started.  What I wouldn't give to have gotten started in my teens...  But if that's the worst regret I'll have today, then it's a darned good day.    :)    :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
Just great work,,, that's all I can say!

Thanks for sharing this with all!

Well I have too say it again,,, GREAT WORK!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
Absulutely fabulous as always Woody! There's not many things more enjoyable than to sit and watch a talented Craftsman like yourself perform his magic. Thanks again Buddy!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Little Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2007, 02:07:00 AM »
That knife is super-fine! I wish someday I will be able to do that! Or something remotely close even! ...that is awesome.

Offline Haf2hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2007, 05:56:00 AM »
Absoultely amazing work.  I truly admire your abilities.  I'm a fledgling knapper and have watched your DVD about 20 times already and seem to pick up something new everytime I watch it.  Thanks so much for this tut.  Sure wish I had your talent.
Hink
"Uva uvam videndo varia fit."  
We don't rent pigs!

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »
Woody,  That is a work of art.  I can't wait to see the next one.  I am going to get a copy of your DVD.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Guys, I really appreciate all your comments.  I wish it was possible to cover knapping in depth, but as any knapper will tell you, this tutorial barely scratches the surface.  Knapping is a lot like playing the guitar:  it's easy to pick up the basics, but it'd take a lifetime (or three) to master it.  After a few tons of rock and 17 years of hard practice, I feel like I'm getting the hang of a few things, but there'll never be enough time to master it all.  The good thing about that is I'll never get bored.  GGG

Chrisg, I'd love to see pics of some of the chert you're finding over there!  This week I've gotten rock from Poland, England, France, and Denmark.  Never had the chance to see any from South Africa, though!  If you're up for some kind of trade, let's chat.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
In Oregon there is a lot of obsidian. I would think that would be good stuff to knap....?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
Snag, obsidian (not the snowflake kind) would be GREAT to learn on!  Cheap, easy to knap, cheap, instant feedback, cheap, and nice to look at.  The price for it isn't bad, either!    :)    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
Beautiful job, Woody, on the knife, and on the teutorial. I don't care how your modesty suffers, I'm here to tell folks that you are a "National Treasure" (and you never even show signs of knowing it).   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jcsnapshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
Man you made that look easy  :)  Beautiful knife, now I am going to get my stuff out and try figuring this stuff out again. Thanks for sharing your knowledge

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Great tute and a great looking knife.Looking forward to more instalments.  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline DirtyDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
Woody,

Outstanding tutorial.  I have been knapping about three years, but your explanation is so simple and sensible, it makes me wonder why I make so many mistakes!  I love your DVD also.  Thanks for sharing this.

Dan Spier

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
Woddy,  :thumbsup:  
excellent pics and superbly explained. I certainly will wait here for the rest ...

Falk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©