3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flintknapping Tutorial  (Read 3578 times)

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flintknapping Tutorial
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
Absolutely fantastic.  I liked your website too, very nice.

Chris

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
This thread is printed off and will go into my flat fold Knapping Notebook, for easy table top reference, as will the one on Arrowheads you plan to do next, and as did one or two from Paleoplanet by other great knappers on slightly different (knapping) subjects. I have a couple of these Notebooks (with printouts of threads on knapping, Cane arrow making, stone point hafting, "nutters", and other subjects of interest to me) and they have been and will be a big help to me when doing/attempting these skills, since my memory doesn't always retain like I wish it would and it is hard to refer to a Table top Computer while working. They also will be of value to someone else someday, I am sure.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sir_h_c

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2007, 02:44:00 AM »
I have seen beer bottle bottoms being used for points.  is this even worth the effort? I am just starting to think about knapping, should I learn on stone from the start?
straighten up and fly right...Dangit!

Offline Bpaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2007, 03:51:00 AM »
If you aren't worried about getting legal hunting points, beer bottoms work great.  May take some talent/practice to get a workable point with enough width/weight out of one tho.

Great practice material.

One of the best learning stones is obsidian, and other than more impurities, it's just glass, really the same thing as beer bottle bottoms, at least from a flaking perspective.

Of course I'm a newb and should let someone experienced pipe in LOL.
Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath, no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does.  
          -George Bernard Shaw

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
Beer or wine bottles, obsidian, all good.  Check out plate glass dealers in your area.  Ask about their scraps or cut-offs.  If it isn't tempered or safety glass, it'll knap great.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
sir_h_c here's a link to making an arrowhead from a beer bottle

http://www.geocities.com/knappersanonymous/bottle.html
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©