3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Shot, how far is to far?  (Read 539 times)

Offline kshunter55

• Trad Bowhunter
The Shot, how far is to far?
« on: July 31, 2015, 02:33:00 AM »
"The Shot"......  What is it, Who can make it, and what are its limits?  Ive been lucky enough to experience the closest encounters a whitetail deer has to offer.  My concern is when the animal is "Too Far"?????  When do you know they are?????

I'd love to be able to tell you a step by step procedure that works for everyone to take a shot at an animal.  The fact is, it's an ingrained sense learned over time and is different for everyone.  Kinda like breathing, eating, and sleeping.  We all do it, but we all do it a little different.

I get a little tired of hearing how restricted we are as traditional bowhunters.  I've heard alot of "If I had a compound I would have got him, or If I had my gun he was mine."  Obviously there are weapons that promote longer shots.  So what are "our" limits? 15 yards? 20 yards? 25 yards??????

The last three numbers seem to be a majority response among us stick shooters.  I just can't get myself to believe that is the best we can do.  I understand the physics of 170fps vs. 300fps, but I believe more in the man behind the bow than the mathematics.  

Some of the best trad bowhunters I know, tell me they have passed animals at 25 yards, but have shot and killed animals at 50.  What does this tell us?  Not every situation is the same.  Its a learned skill, just like stalking, stand placement, and the thousand others we try and perfect.

Don't sell yourself short.  You never know what opportunities may be headed your way.  Start practicing outside your box and strive to get better!  There are a million things we can talk about on this topic.  Animal behavior, species, and shooters confidence are probably the most important.  

As the thread goes on I'd like us to find an answer to "The Shot"  As in reference to shooting animals.  Not targets.  I laugh imagining a wolf reading this thread and telling me.  "Hey Andy just kill them and eat them.  It's worked for me for thousands of years".
"The more you put into something, the more you get out of it"  Rick "Rooster" Dirks

Andy Dirks

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Shot, how far is to far?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:37:00 AM »
I shot animals close and far and have passed on animals close and far.  I honestly don't have a set distance and would never pass judgement on a guy taking long shots.

Offline Hunter74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 03:14:00 AM »
I might catch slack for saying this but I have never understood why a lot of trad guys limit themselfs to 20 yrds or there about. The way I see it is the bow is capeable of sending an arrow 250-300 yrds with enough energy to be deadly so 50 is nothing even a 100 is doable the only limitation is your vision and skill.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 04:39:00 AM »
This is a topic that's different for everyone. There are way to many variables for a straight answer. I think for most traditionalist, the whole idea is to see how close they can get to the animal. We don't practice long range shots as much as the close ones, because being close is kinda the whole idea. It is for me anyway.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 05:19:00 AM »
For me switching from a compound bow to a recurve is been to test my hunter's ability to get close to the animals. When I started killing animal as far as 80 yards I realized that that wasn't the reason why I felt in love with bowhunting and the weapon wasn't a primitive weapon that concentrate more in your ability as a hunter but more a shooter. So for this reason I really prefere to take my shoots under 20 yards,also if in some cases I can shoot farther than 30. But the longer the shoot the less value it has on my judgement because I feel less the prey and care more to the shooting form.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
I practice and have taught my sons to be hunters not shooters no matter what weapon we have in our hands.    :archer2:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
If you have the slightest doubt you can make a good shot, then it's too far.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by highlow:
Yep; I don't care what anyone's limit is - all that matters is they know it and stick to it.
SWA Spyder

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
I just go with my gut.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
highlow is right. If you have doubts, then it is too far. I used to set out markers at 25 yards, and would not consider a shot beyond that distance. Yes, it was somewhat arbitrary, but it made me consciously consider distance in relation to my shooting abilities. Each hunter has to set his own limits.
Sam

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by highlow:
Yep!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
When I was 25 my yardage was longer. As I age it has lessened. I don't take any shot I don't feel 100% sure of making. I passed on a trophy whitetail at 32 yards and pigs in the road at 25-30 yards yards. I sleep well during hunting season.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
If I start thinking distance, I don't shoot.  I "know" when I can make the shot.  I hunt with a bow to get close.  If I wanted to shoot more than 20 yards or so, I'd hunt with a gun.  I pass on deer every year because I am not comfortable with the shot-distance, cover, age, angle, alertness, gut feeling, etc.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
Not every situation is the same. The man, the bow and the animal are all variables that change by the second. For me, I follow my instincts but do prefer slam dunk 5 yard shots of which Ive taken with less than desired results at times.

Ive also taken 25+ yard shots and hit the exact spot I was hoping to with ideal results.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
True story. Me and my dad was walking along logging road during archery walking into our spot. Public land. And a rabbit was sitting on the path in the grass, we walked right up on it before I realized what it was. Literally less than 5 yards away. I pulled an arrow, came to full draw and stuck the arrow right beside the rabbit. I just looked At my dad who was like really, really..... I was so pissed I said screw it.. I'm not shooting again.. Walked right up to the rabbit pulled my arrow from the ground.
That dang rabbit never moved. I figured it was frozen in fear of what ever. Kinda dumbfounded we walked along maybe 20 more yards looked to the left. Right on the path a guy was in his treestand. I know he seen the whole thing.
talk about embarrassing.... So for me, I have no effective range now lol.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
Red, that is why many of us strive to keep it close.  Things go wrong.  The farther away, the more things can go wrong.  

The arrow with a sharp broadhead can fatally pierce a deer at nearly any distance along its path,  be it 5 yards or 500 ( if you can get it to go that far).  It is hitting where you want that gets tough.  

I personally feel we owe it to the newbies who may not yet have great skills to keep the talk realistic.  Yeah, if you are good enough to shoot at 75 yards, well, that is your call.  

Most are not.  Newbies read our stuff, every word, and want to emulate.  When I speak of killing at 75 yards, they want to do the same and wonder why it isn't working.  

I don't owe the critters anything, but I feel that I want to do it as right as I can.  A good kill, or no shot at all.
ChuckC

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
IMO it is our "comfort zone" that should dictate what we shoot when hunting. Mine has been 30-35 yards since forever. I would prefer closer but real close, no. My 5-10 yard shooting is terrible, always has been. Again my "comfort zone" brings out my best in form, concentration, and follow through. If it was 20 yards so be it. In that moment of truth you should be as confident as you can be without thinking about it. Yes getting close is important but again close in your zone.

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
I have made great shots on game up to about 25 yards, and have passed on 15 yard shots because I doubted my ability to make a good shot. I guess for me it is more about my confidence when the time comes.
God Bless

Numunuu

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
I have shot a number of deer on the move that were beyond twenty yards that did not know I was there.  I have let more wired alert deer go that were fifteen yards or less than I can remember.  Being a ground hunter, the close deer that have me spotted are the ones that make me doubt my shot, I usually do not shoot those.

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
As an ethical hunter I've never killed a Deer more than 30 yrd's,with compound or traditional,here in the midwest hunting in the environment I hunt in I don't think my arrow would go further without hitting a branch or something,if I had to kill to survive it's a whole different story.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©