3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Parabolic -vs- Shield cut noise.  (Read 1766 times)

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Parabolic -vs- Shield cut noise.
« on: July 31, 2015, 07:45:00 AM »
I was at a shoot recently and I was shooting shield cuts and my buddy was shooting parabolics and we were videoing with my phone just for the fun of it and I was shocked at the noise difference between the two. The arrows were loud compared to his. I told him it was because my arrows were so fast but I was kidding. I like the looks of shield cuts and have alot on hand but I am rethinking my position. anyone else switch because of the down range noise. Im sure a animal couldnt react because of the incoming arrow but could they?? I've taken many whitetail with them but not a squirrel, maybe that is the reason? Boy I get close but havent connected yet.
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Parabolic -vs- Shield cut noise.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
I also find parabolic quieter. Not sure it matters with big game.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
Yes, quieter. That is all i shoot now.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 07:55:00 AM »
You can easily reshape yours with scissor,to make them parabolic.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »
I've noticed the same thing, and I shoot parabolic. I don't think an animal would react to the sound until the arrow was too close...it's string/shot noise they react to more as well as the movement of the shot.

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
I think shields look really cool too, but I stopped using them because I could hear them.  I figured if I could hear them...  Most of us obsess over bow noise and the like.  Why would I want a noisy arrow in flight.  Parabolics for me now.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
High, worn fletching is also noisier.  Yeah, shields are a little noisier.  I burn my own.  Have been using them for about 40 years now. Killed lots of critters large and small with them.  Don't see any reason to change.

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
I've noticed many primitive arrows have a very long but short fletch.  Low profile seems to make a quiet , fast arrow.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
I initially made my arrows with shields and found that I could not make a dozen that were quiet. Since switching to parabolics years ago it remains my impression that they are always quiet. Don't know how much difference it makes but they cost the same and to me quiet is good.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
Most of these....(95%) are shield cut, and are some of my most prized kill arrows that I saved for one reason or another....but not all my kill arrows.  This pic was taken in 2013 and I've added a few more.

Noise?....maybe it was the last thing they heard.  Heck if I know or care.  They seem to work for me.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
Howard Hill commented that shield cut is noisy that is why he liked parabolic. Of course he shot a lot of his game at longer ranges than most of us would not. Maybe there is some true to ourexcuse about the deer "jumping the string".

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
Shields are noisier, that is all I claim to know about it. I switched just in case, and because you get a little more glove clearance. Critters don't like wiping a leather shooting glove across the back of a feather.....  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
Always used shield cut here, and never noticed any noise except from worn fletching. But I may put together a parabolic fletched arrow and check it out.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
My 5" shield cut fletching also makes my arrow act stiffer than the corresponding, slightly lower, 5" parabolic fletch. I might be right on the border line of "too stiff" and that little bit of difference in fletching area pushes it over the limit. I only know I can shoot about 50gr more up front on the shield cuts and get the same arrow flight. The lower parabolics SEEM (I don't have a chrono) slightly faster, but I shoot them both and since I'm nearly stone deaf, I don't worry about it.

My hunting arrows have 5" shield cut with a lot of broadhead weight up front and the parabolics are for my 3-D shooting with about 50 gr less point weight.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
But I do agree that parabolic are quieter.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
With my hearing they are ALL quiet so I got my wife who has bat like hearing to open the screen but keep head inside of window and listen to me shooting several arrows a few feet from her both parabolic and shield and she could not detect any difference or hear much noise at all.

The reason she has bat like hearing? She has never run a lawnmower, chainsaw, weed whacker, tractor, or shot ducks out of a boat with a partner.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
With my hearing they are ALL quiet so I got my wife who has bat like hearing to open the screen but keep head inside of window and listen to me shooting several arrows a few feet from her both parabolic and shield and she could not detect any difference or hear much noise at all.

The reason she has bat like hearing? She has never run a lawnmower, chainsaw, weed whacker, tractor, or shot ducks out of a boat with a partner.
:biglaugh:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Tested out some 5" traditional fletching on skinny Penthalon Timber Stick 600's, and if you're going huntin' these are not your fletching. Giver out a rather cool sound on it's way to the target, but probably not something you would want for a hunting arrow. 3D animals and stumps dont svare easily...
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
Like Michael said above, bow noise is what gets attention. I say shoot what cut makes you happy!   :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©