3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets talk LW strap on Tree stands.  (Read 676 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Lets talk LW strap on Tree stands.
« on: August 01, 2015, 05:34:00 AM »
I currently have the hand climber but I need a strap on for those times when I already know a certain area doesn't have any good climber trees and/or I just don't feel like trimming much.

I'm really thinking to get the lightest possible stand then only using two ladder sticks because I don't like to be too far above the lower canopy maybe 10 max!  sticks I'm thinking stick with Lone wolf but if there is another option I need lightness and the folding rungs would be nice for packing in and out.

so need opinions on the alpha, assault and 3rd model they make forget the name,, was thinking the 11lb alpha.  

any opinions?
"Us vs Them"

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets talk LW strap on Tree stands.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 06:47:00 AM »
I have three lone wolf stands. Two alphas and one from the 90's that is the size of the assault. I love bow the sticks attach to the stand and you can pack it all in on your back. I prefer the larger alphas with foot rest because I can sit longer in them and your first time in  a spot is your best opportunity.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
Sure do wish their seat was taller!!! Or adjustable!!

After having double knee replacements a couple of inches makes a heck of a difference when you try and rise from a seated position.

bretto

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Check out Chippewa Wedge Lock. I heard they are back ( original owner retired).  It is another option, a well made stand, seats come in several heights (not adjustable, made to order), they come in several sizes from tiny to very large.

LW is a great stand, but so is the CWL
ChuckC

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
I have the Alpha with 4 sticks but will only use 3 this year. After using the Alpha, I won't use my climber again, regardless of the trees in the area. It is that quick and easy, once you get your system down.

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
X stands hang on stand is another great option.  If my facts are correct I believe the stand and 4 sticks combined is only around 20 pounds.  The steps have rungs on both sides which makes hanging the stand easy.  It's a nice package for the price. SS

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
Checkout the XOP Air Raid.  Alpha knockoff for $50-$100 less.  New innovations with their sticks too.

You can also add a runner strap that mountain climbers use on lower stick and have the option to go a little higher if needed.

BTW, neither the alpha or the air raid is 11#s.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
I have 3 Loc-On-Lem Spirit stands that use with the LW strap-on tree steps.  I forget what the LW steps weigh for a set of 3, but my stands weigh about 9lbs each. I replaced the cinch rope/chain on the stands with LW strap-on tree stand straps which made it much easier and quieter to set up.   The LW steps are bungeed to the stand for carrying.    Overall it works pretty good.  Like stated before, it may take a little practice or experimentation to get your set up down, but once you do its almost as fast as using a climber.   If I didn't already have the Loc-On stands, I would probably  get a LW Assualt.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
Checkout the XOP Air Raid.  Alpha knockoff for $50-$100 less.  New innovations with their sticks too.

You can also add a runner strap that mountain climbers use on lower stick and have the option to go a little higher if needed.

BTW, neither the alpha or the air raid is 11#s.
How does the guy who invented the Lone Wolf, after selling the company, and years later after HIS original patent expires, redesigns and improves upon said original product create a "knock off"? I'd say "knock off" is grossly inaccurate there.

I've got 5 "pre China" Lone Wolf stands, and won't be getting rid of them but I am very impressed with my 2 XOPs and will be buying from the D'Acquisto's for the foreseeable future.

You can definitely get to 10' with 2 LW sticks.  Most guys start the first stick quite low and use very little spacing between steps.  My Assaults are my favorite of the LW family. Not sure why but they are more comfortable on all day sits for me than the Alphas.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
thanks for the info I will check out these other stands,, never new the guy who sold LW started up again.
"Us vs Them"

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
Cody, Andres son is running XOP which is basically the Lone Wolf line. And bretto, they do have taller seats available, and they will fit the older LW stands.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
Ah. .  D'Acquisto is back in business! Quite a hunter as well if I recall. ..

LW and sticks are my one and only, go-to portable unit.  2 sticks can easily get you 10'.  Use 1-2 screw in steps and that 10-12' is really doable.

bretto- I modify all my stands. Being 6'4" the first thing I do is raise the seat.  I just insert a piece of square tube aluminum to the top post. A couple holes drilled. A nylon spacer to the seat holes. And replace the bolt. If you really want luxury- add just the right length so when the seat is folded UP (against the tree), the front edge of the seat rides at the bottom of your buttocks.  When standing- you can actually lean against the tree resting your butt on the seat edge (you can even put a little cushion here).  I can stand most of the day that way.  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
I have two Alpha's and one Assault.  Easy to hang, solid and quiet in the cold.  As good as I have used.  I use the Alhpa on my permanent sites and use the assault for my walk in hunts.
T ZZZZ

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
[/QUOTE]How does the guy who invented the Lone Wolf, after selling the company, and years later after HIS original patent expires, redesigns and improves upon said original product create a "knock off"? I'd say "knock off" is grossly inaccurate there.

I've got 5 "pre China" Lone Wolf stands, and won't be getting rid of them but I am very impressed with my 2 XOPs and will be buying from the D'Acquisto's for the foreseeable future.

You can definitely get to 10' with 2 LW sticks.  Most guys start the first stick quite low and use very little spacing between steps.  My Assaults are my favorite of the LW family. Not sure why but they are more comfortable on all day sits for me than the Alphas. [/qb][/QUOTE]Ok, knockoff may have been a misnomer.  How about third generation model
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
AW--being a smooth talker is not my fortè so hopefully you did not take offense.

I'd say it is the original inventor going back and starting with a fresh slate. The hollow tubes are the Achilles heel of the LW, the cast riser if the XOP is perfect. Since the LW are still out there in production and they are tweaking continuously, it probably is not as accurate to say 3rd gen either but it is much better than knockoff    ;)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 05:23:00 AM »
so is everyone saying the XOP is better than the Chinese made Lone wolfs?

some folks mentioned the pre china models???  

that's all great but I need to buy a stand for Septembers opener and if there's no pre-china models to be found then I will take a Chinese model as long as it doesn't creak and its safe.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 06:17:00 AM »
The LW stands are made in the USA again. There was a period of time after the sale when the new owners moved production to China. You could tell the difference and people complained. To their credit, LE brought production back home. Lone Wolf stands WITH cast aluminum bases are great stands.

XOP stands improve on the only deficiency the LW stands have; the hollow upright tube for the seat. They've come up with a cast aluminum upright. Quieter.

Both great stands and choices.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
I have three Alphas.  Used to have a few Assaults as well.  Regardless of which brand, LW or the XOP, I'd recommend the larger platform if you do long (as in all day) sits.

Still light enough, very solid, and quiet.  I also find them quite comfortable.

Offline RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
I love my lone wolf stand but really the climbing sticks are even better in my opinion.  Very well made and 3 sticks easily get me high enough for all of my hunting.  I'm fairly tall and space them quite far apart.  I'm no expert for sure, but I can have a stand in place quietly in no time at all with their sticks.  I always have a few screw in steps too, if need be but haven't used them much.  I have an Alpha II....very solid, quiet and comfortable.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
XOP is cheaper but then not by much I hadn't ever heard of them til this thread.

Just a note saw a great tip on making sling steps from 1" webbing. be able to start the first stick a bit higher.

Getting a LW assault this year with a couple sticks.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©