3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone have experience decoying whitetails?  (Read 572 times)

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Anyone have experience decoying whitetails?
« on: August 02, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
I'm just wondering who has had success decoying whitetails. I have a set of collapsible Montana decoys that I won as a door prize at a game dinner s few years ago. I've never used them. I got into thinking about one of my hot spots. It's a large piece of open hard woods where you can see forever. I was thinking of setting them up in this long draw that has a steep hill that over looks it. I have both a buck and a doe. Any advise, stories or pics, good or bad are greatly appreciated.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone have experience decoying whitetails?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
Not intentionally. I left my target out in the back yard once during the rut. When I looked out the next morning, the pieces of the target were scattered all over the place.
Sam

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 02:40:00 AM »
They work great for young bucks, think it's hit and miss for mature bucks, but once they see them you can get away with murder as far as standing up to shoot etc. The does will absolutely stay far away from them though!!!!  I use a grunt call in conjunction with. Not worth the effort if it's not rut time.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 06:30:00 AM »
I don't have experience either but hunt with a fellow who does use them.  He'll set a doe or two or three out in a corn field just in front of his stand in the hedge row.  He has some tail flicking thing too.  Once a doe sees the decoys they slowly make their way over to them.  He thinks it's a security in numbers, coast is clear thing.  We hunt public land too.  It doesn't hurt.  You got 'em for free, try 'em out!  Let us know what worked and what didn't.

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 06:45:00 AM »
That's interesting to hear the multiple does will attract other does because singular doe decoys sure doesn't. Might need to give that a try next time I draw a whitetail tag
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
I just bought a Montana Decoy small buck that was in Cabela's bargain cave.  I've been wanting to try decoying Whitetails for a long time.  We'll see how it goes this November. Any tips would be appreciated.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
I've played around with one for several years and have killed one buck and passed on several small ones. One doe and passed on some of them too but have spooked quite a few of them.

Here's a pick of the decoy from the stand, decoy is only 15yds looks farther. Five scrapes under the tree we were siting in and the deer had been coming into this corner of the clearing from behind us on 3 different trails.

I have videos and picks on another computer let me look for them tonight. I will say that I have killed several turkeys with the deer decoy, seems to act like a confidence decoy I think.

We are going to try several size racks on the decoy this year I have plenty and use a couple AvianX turkey hens with the set up to see if they act any different. It's not that it's not working but it seems like the only bucks that come in are of equal size or smaller, the big guys always hang up just out of range. Many times!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
I have used the Montana's.  I've killed a couple does over the doe decoy as well.  Make sure whatever set your using, to position it or them so you can shoot the down wind side.  They always circle.

My brother came up with the idea to position the doe laying down one year when he forgot the leg stakes.  He had an eight pointer run right in but missed the opportunity as he tried to take a cell phone pic.  We learned from that.  During the rut, when in the woods, put her laying with her back up against a brush pile or tree top where she can be seen at "deer level" for a distance and keep your bow ready.  Any buck that sees her is coming in to check her out.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
I tried it in a small field a few years ago.  The deer was in the upright position and thst seemed to put the deer thst came into the field on alert.

I have thought a head down/feeding decoy might work better.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 06:22:00 AM »
Interesting. Thanks for the input guys.  I'm going to play around with it a little during the season.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
Sean, Hopefully Littlebigman will chime in. If you followed his 5 pines farm hunt thread last year, he did a bit of decoying.  

It seemed to me the deer were spooked once they realized the flat decoys were flat.  If thats the kind you have, try to position it in a place where you will get a shot before the deer can see the flat angle.

It sounds like he was able to decoy in the smaller bucks and does became cautious or left quickly.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »
I've never shot a buck over one(montana) but have passed on some pretty easy shots on small bucks. Most does will spook from them so you must not use them in thick areas. I like the edge of a cornfield. The other thing I did was to make a small pair of antlers out a milk jug and paper clip them on my doe decoy. It stopped does from spooking. They will be confused when they get in line with it and it disappears but as soon as they see it again they come in. It's fun but I haven't had any big bucks come in so I can't say how they'll react.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
I heard to put some clothes pins on the decoy so it looks like a spike and that will lure in the bucks and keep the does from spooking.

Maybe the does know all the other does in their area but since spikes get kicked out of their area they are used to seeing new spikes all the time?
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
I'm sure that there's s time and location for both a Buck and doe decoy. I thinking of setting the buck up just as bucks are cruising for does and starting to chase.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
I used a decoy while hunting a lease in Illinois a while back when, I hate to admit this, I hunted with the compound. I was able to shoot my biggest buck to date when he came cruising down the crp field edge and spotted the one horned buck staring at him. He laid his ears back and came right in. I would suggest only using half a rack, as some smaller bucks could be intimidated by a larger looking buck. Also, placement is key. Bucks will come in nose to nose when squaring off, so place the decoy in a way that will present the best shot opportunity for you. I arrow ed my buck at 13 yards broadside. It was quite the experience! Good luck!

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 07:29:00 AM »
These Montana Buck decoys have small antlers, I may cut them down smaller. We'll see what happens.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »
check this out

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51550276@N08/15057524174/in/dateposted-public/

had I wanted to kill this buck he circled the decoy 3.5 times and gave me numerous 8 and 10 yards shots.

I decoy hard each year and look at this time as the most exciting part of my bow season.

I have the Montana decoys too but they have lots of issues a 3 d one doesn't.
Make a life, not a living

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
Shoot quick when they come in. Ive been successful with a foam silhouette of a deers head set in brush and once with a home made monstrosity. In my experience they come in fast and leave just as fast.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
Tracy,
Have you used the decoys in conjunction with calls, such as rattling sequences and grunting?  I would think that having a decoy(s) may give a mature deer something to focus on after hearing such calls, rather than you the hunter.  This interests me because I have had success both rattling and making verbal calls like a grunt or a wheeze.  However, when bucks do come in they come in a full alert.  A situation we can all agree is not ideal.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
Cool video Jim. I'm using the Montana cause the price was right, I may breakdown and buy a 3d. I've always wanted to give it a go but I could just never deviate from my routine.  I did see one of the Wensel/Mitten videos that they had a Montana decoy with clothes pins.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©