3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Driving me absolutely nuts!  (Read 441 times)

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Driving me absolutely nuts!
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
I'm having a unique (maybe) issue. When I used to shoot compounds, the longer my shooting session was, the better I'd shoot. Now with my longbow, My first 4 shots or so are the best and then it seems like I get worse.I love to shoot and I know practice is important. Can you shoot too much? Do you guys shoot short sessions and call it a day?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Driving me absolutely nuts!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
Well, right off the bat, you are holding how many pounds with the compound ( using a release no less) ?  #10 ? #15?

When you shoot a stick, you hold way more than that, on the ends of your fingers no less.  That counts for something.
ChuckC

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
thats when you walk away after those 4 shots take a breather and head back.... I only count the first 3 arrows of the morning because when I'm in my stand its the 1st arrow and maybe the second arrow that counts.

whatever you do don't force practice and risk developing bad habits.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
Many variables here.  Bow weight is a FACTOR. I try not to shoot much when I get tired, as I developed bad habits. It's easy to be OVER BOWED with traditional equipment.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
How much weight are you shooting? Yes I do find myself to tire out and get frustrated with long shooting sessions. I find that 2 arrows and then pull is about perfect with hunting weight bows.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
You might be right on the verge of being overbowed, nothing wrong with dropping a few lbs of draw weight if it means you're more consistent.  Try shooting less arrows at a time before retrieving them.  I only shoot 3 or 4 then I stop and retrieve them.  This allows me to extend my practice sessions without fighting muscle fatigue which leads to poor form, bad habits, and shattered dreams.  I'm not saying that's the best way, I'm sure others do it differently but it's what I've found to work the best for me.  

Like others have pointed out, shooting traditional bows is a much different animal than compounds.  When I shot a compound, I would shoot a dozen arrows before retrieving them and I never noticed a loss in consistency because you're only pulling the peak weight through a small portion of the draw cycle and you're only holding between 8-14 lbs at full draw.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
I have only been shooting traditional for 4 years.  I have already owned nearly 20 bows and until just recently I discovered what I am most comfortable shooting and most accurate shooting.  Started out shooting around 50lbs then went up to around 54-56 for a while and after all of that time I came to discover that 46lbs is pretty much perfect for me.  I am able to be consistent with my form and I can shoot all day and in all temperatures, frigid included!  I agree with some others that you might be overbowed.  When I was shooting compounds 70lbs was no problem because with 80% let off it was like 18lbs or something.

Try videoing yourself on your phone and see if anything you do is changing shot to shot!

Also, have a PMA!  If you think about the fact you will mess up the shot after your 4th shot or whatever...you probably will mess up!  Think about how you're going to drill the bull and stack arrows in there and see what happens.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
I certainly hope I'm not over bowed. I'm right around 46# at my draw length. I don't struggle with it as long as I expand my chest and engage my back muscles.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
Bear, you should be able to get to a point to where it takes an absurd amount of arrows before your form starts breaking down and shot fatigue creeps in.

I'll be honest, after coming indoors for spot league in the winter after a long season of minimal shooting while hunting every chance I get, I admit that arrows 45 through 60 are a bit rough.

But with a solid form and shot sequence, you can muscle through those moments of fatigue and execute a good shot.

Right now at the peak of the IBO competition year and gearing up for hunting, I'm shooting roughly 100 arrows per day, and if it weren't for obligations around the house and family, I'd be shooting 150 to 200 if time permitted.

Focus on your form, bone-on-bone support in your bow arm, and good back tension, and you should be able to shoot way more than 4 good arrows per session.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
Yes to tajue17 and Michael's response, in my experience anyway.

Howard Hill's quote about shooting for hunting and shooting for competition comes to mind.  Although when I shot in a league, I think it did help me with consistent form, but even in that my goal was to become that best hunting archer I could become.

I seldom shoot more than 2-3 arrows in a group, Often it is one at a time and then retrieve the arrow; always that with broadheads.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
Can you diagnose your own form ? Because it's more than likely a form issue.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »
Quality over Quantity.
Better Practice is better than more practice.  Standing in front of the target shooting hundreds of arrows might not be the best approach. for some people it works but the minute you start feeling fatigued, you should stop and walk away.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »
Focus is a key also.  I know if I shoot a lot of arrows, sometimes I start to lose focus and I am just winging arrows in the general direction of a spot on the target, but not really focused.  Just shoot your four, retrieve, then shoot four more.  Every time visualize the shot of your lifetime. If it does not get better, take longer breaks between your series of shots.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
Try shooting one arrow at a time and make it count. Shoot and then go pull the arrow. Stay focused and pick a spot, good form and follow through after release. That is what i do. Don't get me wrong its fun to shoot a tight group but when you start to tire out you get sloppy and then your form and focus go away and thats when bad habits start and then you get all messed up...been there myself many times. One other thing when you start to tire end your shooting on a good note and stop.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
As soon as I start to loose my groove I'll really comsentrate shoot one more satisfying group or even just one more good arrow. Then Put the bow away.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©