3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The advice you wish you would've received  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The advice you wish you would've received
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zbone:
"A quick climb isn't worth the pain of a long fall."

Stuart - Feel for you, wish you the best...

Do you mind it I use that quote?

I fell last November 5th and got busted up pretty good, ended up in hospital and left shoulder still isn't right... Happened during peak rut here and missed the rest of bowseason, and as said still ain't right and likely be bother with my shoulder the rest of my life...

Again, best wishes and good luck...
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Oh, and you can use that quote. I'll be praying for your shoulder as well as my ankle.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Floxter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »
I wish someone had told me about eye dominance before I invested all that money in righthanded bows, quivers, tabs, etc., since I'm left eye dominant.
Jack

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
1. There is no magic bow.
2.Shoot a bow that feels good to you. It will be the one that shoots best.
3.Its not a sin to miss. It happens..get over it.
4. Spend time learning to be a woodsman. The better you are at it the closer your shots will be.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
Anchor point. I grew up anchoring first finger corner of my mouth. Even in wheel days. Shot recurve long time same way first finger corner mouth and I shot good.
Tried anchoring second finger corner mouth, wow, my groups tightened so quickly and my yardage extended as well.
Very weird after 30yrs shooting same way but it is worth the effort to switch.

STUMP SHOOT! It is the best practice you can get into. 3Ds too but I don't like shooting with folks - just one or two buddies is all and stump shooting really fits the bill.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
RC and Eric Krewson! Great advice -
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2015, 12:54:00 AM »
Do everything your pastor tells you to do... He is always right!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2015, 06:41:00 AM »
Really?
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
Interesting thread.  As you would imagine, there are different ways to skin this beast.

There is some great advice within this thread. But some of what is here I heard early on and found it to be bad advice. I make a point to make sure I don't pass on those myths. The ones that concern me most regard shooting form. These myths are in part why 70% of archers develop "target related issues" that run them right out of archery.  

I'll elude to only one: If you leave the bow arm unmoved until the arrow hits the target you will be fighting what the active bow arm muscles "want" and should be allowed to do during follow through.  The bow arm will eventually collapse (if not immediately) unless you keep it active.

The first order of business is to select proper equipment to learn to shoot. Then learn to shoot. Determine your personal effective range and stay under it when bow hunting. Don't expect the Accuracy Fairy to make a visit on a shot that is beyond your practiced and proven effective distance.

Your challenge is to determine the the right from the wrong.

I really like Michael Arnett's list on page 1.

Offline Wvforester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
Hunt the wind. To get on a buck, hunt the does. Pick a landmark after a hit to know where the blood trail starts (especially if you gun hunt), don't look a deer in the eyes, a deer will commonly flick its tail before raising its head, that dark loamy fluffy soil attracts bucks for some reason, smell your arrow before taking to a blood trail (bumped a few bedded  deer not hit well in my youth). Sit still, let the young fellows who can't sit still push deer to you. Lol!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2015, 12:20:00 AM »
1) Don't over think this or get too technical.  Even here on TG I think we make it too difficult at times.

2) Shoot at animals.  Shoot small game and the first deer you get a chance at.  Get some harvests under your belt.  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2015, 05:24:00 AM »
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but practice in your hunting clothes. Not doing so will cost you the shot and may lead to a long fruitless blood trail. (It did me)

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
Randy
Have the time of your life!
Lots of good advice here.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
1. Clear all the leaves from your ground blind or the base of your tree.

2. Walk into your stand like a deer moving through the woods. Walk and stop... walk and stop.

3. Deer don't seem to look in waterways. If you can hunt in a ditch or stream bank, give it a go.

4. Don't be afraid to get out of trees and hunt in the brush. Use an old scrub tree/bush to hide near.

5. Look with your eyes BEFORE you turn your head.

6. Many deer know where you like to set up and will literally stand totally still/silent 70 yards away just scanning your usual areas to see if you are there.

7. Using a climber, drop the seat to your feet after you have climbed to your desired height. Then lean against the tree and the deer are less likely to spot you up there. You can always bring the seat up to sitting level for a few minutes if you absolutely need to sit.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
1. There is no magic bow.
2.Shoot a bow that feels good to you. It will be the one that shoots best.
3.Its not a sin to miss. It happens..get over it.
4. Spend time learning to be a woodsman. The better you are at it the closer your shots will be.
and hunt where the deer are!!do your scouting-don't waste time!!
Mike

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
Aim small, miss small.... don't look at the animal, find a tuft of hair behind the shoulder or a shadow line in the shoulder blade point.... PICK a SPOT and take your time. Don't rush the shot.

I think another good tip is watch the ears and tail. Those are sensors telling you if they are at full alert, or relaxed. Tail up, ears forward... you don't have a shot mate. They'll jump the string every time.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
Don't overbow yourself.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
Enjoy Yourself.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Beau J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Lots of good advice here on this topic...If your shooting is good and you can get into deer then I would say "get aggressive when it comes time to shoot" If the critter gives you a good shot opportunity TAKE IT don't wait on a great shot opportunity because it may not happen. This plagued me when I started as a teenager with a compound and for the first two years with my longbow...Maybe I'm too passive but I got to block out all the "what if's" and just go for it...BeauJ

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
don't put off that hunt time waits for no one you wont always be healthy enough to climb that ridgeline.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Randy Strickland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by highlow:
Really?
Don't worry highly, he is my pastor. The one who is responsible for me kicking the wheels.

Thank you all for the awesome advice. This has been a really cool experiment and I can't wait to put it to work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©