3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: coyotes any good to eat?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: coyotes any good to eat?
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
All the coyotes and other furbearers we catch and shoot that are usable we collect all the urine, glands, and meat for making our own lures. We collect the skulls for selling, claws and teeth depends on the animal what is usable.

Sick animals and animals with mange get buried and out of other animals reach so it's not passed on to them. Most people don't give a crap and just throw them in a ditch or leave them lay that dosent help anything. But honestly most of them hate skinning anyway and have there excuses for leaving coyotes.

All of our furs go to auction in Canada a couple times a year and a few lesser animals not fit for the auction are sent out to be tanned. The left over meat is set in dozens of bait stations spread out over several county's for coyote calling thru out the season. That way we can take other people out to enjoy calling them in too, lots of fun     :D    

Anybody want to guess what coyotes are worth nowadays? Not what you used to get for them back in the fur boom days picking up road kills and nobody threw them away.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
I also trap, and have skinned only 8-10 trapped or shot coyotes. I'm not eating one if I know what it is. Like Tracy, I enjoy beaver meat. Haven't tried the rest.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline deltakid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
One of my assignments while  in the Air Force was on the staff of the AF's Survival School at Fairchild AFB, WA.  My flight was in the woods when we happened on a coyote that had been trapped by a commercial trapper.  Since we had the name and phone number of the trapper (WA required that info on the traps), we called him and gave the students a demonstration on how to skin a coyote and gave us the carcass.  All I can say is that it was tough, stringy, and had a very distinctive taste that I would not want to eat unless I had absolutely nothing else to eat!!  I cnosider it edible, but not by much.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2015, 12:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by snowplow:
Haha, I was just joking guys. Thanks for the info though.

Well I definitely have to try one now. Call it morbid curiosity. I'm not too picky with meat anyhow.
i think i saw a recipe for it in a cook book called "50 ways to wok your dog"

Offline Recurve Amigo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2015, 06:56:00 AM »
When you eat the meat of a predator you risk getting  a nerve sickness can't remember what it's called

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
Haha thats hilarious Kurt!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
I ate the first one I ever killed pictured in my avatar. I used some in chili, tried it slowly sautéed and finally grilled a hind quarter at a college football tailgate party. About 25 different people tasted and/or ate some. Some thought it was not good. Most thought it was okay but wouldn't need to try it again. Two or three thought it was tasty.

It was pretty tough and stringy and I thought it tasted along the lines of overcooked roast beef. I did not eat the only other one I've killed, but am not above trying it again.  Would probably put it in a pressure cooker with a lot of spices and veggies.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
Basically, they are dogs that eat carrion. I wouldn't even think of eating one.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
I think most of us enjoy pork and they eat anything and everything. I have had dog in Vietnam. It didn't taste bad and those things scrounged what ever they could find in the garbage. Bear are pretty tasty and they also have a varied diet.

I think the meat-eaters spoil quicker than animals who eat only grass and plants, but the key seems to be in proper preparation. If I ever get an arrow in one, I'd like to at least try it.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2015, 12:58:00 AM »
After all this I might try one . But most of mine are cold and mangy. Less hair to burn off.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
I have seen buzzards take a pass on coyote.

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
Now on the Beverly Hillbillies, granny made a fine possum stew.  Once place we lived had a nasty possum that would sit on our porch above the door and snarl at us when we came home.  My little girl was only a year and half old and very curious with animals, so I put a deadhead through the possum.  I thought, POSSUM STEW FOR SUPPER. It was tough to skin, but when I gutted it and thinking about eating it, I gagged a tonsil out. I wish coyotes were worth the money they were years ago, we shot enough fox and coyotes to pay for our hunting supplies and gas. But eat one?Never.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »
Buzzards and worms seem to enjoy them
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline bowheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
Raven worse thing I ate most anything will not eat a Raven ,Bethel Alaska in Spring time locals get together shoot stray house cats and dogs at the dump I enjoyed eating feral cats but could not eat mans best friend just love dogs to much.
The Rock-Star of Trad-Talk

White Wolf Max P 40-55 lb adjustable longbow..

Border Harrier #53 carbon fast as A BOW CAN BE.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
I wish coyotes were worth the money they were years ago, we shot enough fox and coyotes to pay for our hunting supplies and gas. But eat one?Never. [/QB]
Still are worth plenty if know what your doing and good at finishing your furs right. Coyotes are the one fur that are still selling good but the market has been creeping down slowly for several years.  

All our trapping money pays for hunting and fishing for the next season    :thumbsup:    

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Gatorkountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
Coyotes? Do they have a split hoof and chew the cud?    :nono:
Jeff Martin

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Gatorkountry:
Coyotes? Do they have a split hoof and chew the cud?     :readit:
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
I have eaten plenty of stuff most never would try due to my travels in military in back country spots...  wild ox tongue, snake, dog, monkey, banana rat, sloth, donkey, horse, gazelle, bush pig....etc.

yote is something I never want to smell or taste when cooked again.  Period!
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
Like someone else said, there may be a circumstance in which I would eat one, though I take great pains to avoid such circumstances in life.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2015, 01:55:00 AM »
If I were in a real life or death survival situation and somehow managed to kill a coyote......I'd leave it lay til the buzzards came to it. THEN I'd kill one of the buzzards. THEN I'd pluck a few feathers and set a trap for a bobcat. I'd then catch the bobcat and eat it. I hear tell that bobcat is good clean meat. Every one I've ever skinned was clean and the meat looked decent. Moral of the story....I'm not eating a stinking, nasty, filthy coyote. Nastiest things I've ever had to skin. I do take great pleasure in reducing their numbers every chance I get. But I ain't eatin' 'em!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©