3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best commercial groundblind for trad bowhunting  (Read 527 times)

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Best commercial groundblind for trad bowhunting
« on: August 05, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
Survey question...

What is the best commercially available groundblind for hunting with a tradbow.  My son is 6'5" and shoots a 60" bow.  Ready set go...
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline stack

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best commercial groundblind for trad bowhunting
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
Gillie suit

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
I've had good luck with the Ameristep Penthouse, but it seems every time I buy a new one something has changed in the construction.

No problem shooting a 66" longbow from mine--killed several critters from different ones.  Big enough that two people can hunt from the same blind (only one can shoot at a time though).

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:22:00 PM »
Just bought a barronnet bigcat, nice blind. Big90x90.check it out

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
barronett or primos xxl

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »
I love my Hidden Hunter blind made up in Iron Mountain, Michigan. It's plenty tall enough for my longbow but the best thing about it is the low windows which allow you to shoot at something really close.

Darren

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
Just a word of caution on the Barronett blinds, the hubs are made of cheap cast aluminum or at least the Snake eye 360’s are and  they will exploded without warning.  I had 4 hubs break the first two times I set it up. Called Barronett and they would not make right on the defective product.  I will NEVER purchase another Baronett product again. It's to bad because I really liked the design and size. Currently I use Amerstep blinds and have had good success with them.
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
If your son is 6'5", like me, I assume he has a long draw too, in the 31-32" range. If that's the case, he will have a problem not only with the height of the blind but also the width.

I loved the Primos XXL for it's height (shooting 64" recurve) but it was too narrow for me to extend my bow arm and hit full draw without the arrow sticking out the window 6". You can remove the screen netting, but I like it for turkeys.

I went back to using my discontinued Yukon Tracks blind which is 90x90" wide.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »
Gregg,
I'll bring you a hidden hunter this weekend. I'm not using it. All you have to do to keep it as yours is post "GoNoles" on Facebook. Just that, with no future retractions for 1 week
DonD

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
If you have good place to set it up, where it won't get stolen, the hidden Hunter is it.  I have found Big Jim's Bush in a Bag to be a great and portable alternative.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
I own this one.  It is HUGE and i got it for under $120.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 05:20:00 PM »
Barronett Big Mike! Have been using mine for 3 years with no issues. Can stand straight up and shoot in it. The price is right as well.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by alligatordond:
Gregg,
I'll bring you a hidden hunter this weekend. I'm not using it. All you have to do to keep it as yours is post "GoNoles" on Facebook. Just that, with no future retractions for 1 week
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
The Hidden Hunter is great for trad archery hunting. Get a comfortable swivel seat in it and you are all set for comfortable hunting and maybe even a nap. It is tall enough to shoot a fairly long bow from a sitting position, which I find to be much better than trying to shoot from a kneeling position. Easy to set up too.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by alligatordond:
Gregg,
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
Hidden Hunter looks nice, but I haven't used one so can't offer an experienced opinion on it.

I do have an older double bull matrix recurve model that I love.  Added a Primos last spring that seems like it will be a nice blind, but haven't spent enough time in it to give a good test.  I think it is 70" tall at the center and that is borderline for me.  I have to be careful with my upper limb tip.  Reed will need at least that much height.

Desirable features are a vent in the roof and flexibility in opening windows both for viewing/watching and for shooting. Must be able to keep windows on the opposite side of game movement closed or you will be silhouetted and easily busted.  They need to be silent.  

I had Barronett once which has windows that only unzipped from the top down.  Couldn't see out of them while seated without opening all the way, leaving me silhoutted from all directions or not able to see behind me. And they were noisy.  There is another Barronett model that has screen on the inside, so the windows can only be opened from the outside. That's a bad design!  

Lots of options out there.  But my experience, like most things in life, is you get what you pay for.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
I like my hidden hunter,and it's made here in the U.S.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
Bass Pro "Blackout" blind.  We have used them for years with great success.  82" center height and will hold 3 people.  Low windows which is a big deal.  Very tough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©