3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with leather gloves or bowhunting gloves?  (Read 785 times)

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting with leather gloves or bowhunting gloves?
« on: August 06, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
I've been shooting with the 3 finger leather glove that straps around my wrist thus far. When I go hunting, I had imagined that I would cut off the first three fingers of my camo bowhunting glove and put the leather finger glove on over the top. Then I realized I could probably just use the bowhunting glove and leave the leather glove at home (one less thing to forget). The material is softer and more prone to wear. So if I practiced with it on I'd probably wear holes right through the fingers over time. What does everyone else do for hunting?

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with leather gloves or bowhunting gloves?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
Big shot kangaroo krossover glove from American leather. Used use a Damascus glove but like the krossover more..
 Don't usually wear anything under it unless it's cold.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
My dad practices and hunts wearing just a pair of leather gloves.

Offline bosteldr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
For hunting I ditch the tab and use leather work gloves.  You need to practice as they shoot a little different than tabs and figures get sore if you shoot a lot.  They do not protect you figures as well as tabs. I paint the back side of them with black spray paint to help camo your movement when swatting bugs.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
I used a very open fingered tab over some deer skin gloves for temps 20 and up, but I found that putting a fleece glove over my shooting glove was warmer and gave a better release.

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
This is the second time someone mentioned liking the Amerivan Leather kangaroo glove. Yet there is no mention of this on their website or anywhere else that sells them. Only options I see are elk or buffalo.  Can some one help me with this?

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
I had to call them, its not listed on the site yet.  Very nice glove
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
The Kangaroo model is my very favorite by far, I need to get another one.  My fleece glove slides right over the standard Kangaroo model, if I need the warmth.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
Here in FL when hunting I'm either wearing my Bear Paw Black Glove or a pair of thin camo hunting gloves.  They have a synthetic material on the fingertips and work just fine for a hunting shot which I was able to prove last season.  I don't like wearing leather hunting in the FL heat it gets all soaked.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
I cut the three fingers of all my string hand gloves and I use the American Leather glove. What gloves I use to cover my hands depends on the weather, so from very light weight mesh to wool. If you choose to hunt with the glove only with full fingers and not your regular  shooting glove be sure you practice with it  enough to feel comfortable to hunt with … different gloves can affect your release and ruin an opportunity if you don't practice.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
So that Kangaroo crossover looks similar to what I have currently (although it looks a bit beefier and better constructed). Something like their Handwarmer Glove:  https://americanleathers.com/shop/handwarmer-glove/  looked perfect at first glance. When I looked closer I realized the glove and leather are still separate, and you'd just cut the fingers of the glove to leave off where the leather begins. So that's what I'll try first. Just cutting off the first three fingers of my bowhunting glove and seeing how that works.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
I am normally a tab user but got the Kangaroo Crossover glove this summer and really like it.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »
When I hunted in the cold I used the brown cloth work gloves and my Black Widow tab. Pretty much given up cold weather. I also use the new Kanagroo glove. I really like mine.

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 12:58:00 AM »
Here's what I ended up with. Tried the leather inside and outside of the glove and outside seemed to work a little better.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 06:18:00 AM »
Bowhunter15, where are you located in Minnesota.
 I'll be in windom the 1st week in October for a little bowhunting.
 You glove set up looks like it will work just fine although it looks like its on the wrong hand. Ha ha
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 06:18:00 AM »
Double post
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 06:36:00 AM »
That's great should work fine. Try putting your shooting glove on first/under the glove for warmth. To me this seems to give a more normal feel. For the coldest weather I also get the fleece gloves from an outdoor store like EMS that have a retractable mitten part that your fingers can slip out of. Once your fingers are out the pouch either uses Velcro or a small magnet or a snap to keep the material out of the way, back toward your wrist.
Works great.

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by kevsuperg:
Bowhunter15, where are you located in Minnesota.
 I'll be in windom the 1st week in October for a little bowhunting.
 You glove set up looks like it will work just fine although it looks like its on the wrong hand. Ha ha
I'm in the Twin Cities area. Do a lot of hunting around there and Western WI from September to January.

Sockrsblur, I like that idea too. It also keeps everything in one piece when I take the gloves off, so I'm less likely to lose something.  When I tried putting the shooting glove underneath the other glove, I'd curl my fingers, which would stretch the shooting glove band, but when I relaxed the fingers again the materials wouldn't slide relative to one another. So then my fingers were no longer reaching to the tips of the shooting gloves, and I'd constantly be pushing the shooting glove back on tight whenever I moved my hand around. I'll keep playing around with it though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©