3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Considering reintroducing the Wolverine  (Read 677 times)

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Considering reintroducing the Wolverine
« on: August 07, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
Now that Grizzly is humming along at a manageable  pace. Since I have the dies I am considering reintroducing the Wolverine. The last version had a curved profile and I'm just not 100% sure if I want to stick with that or take it back to its former strait profile. Opinions??
Here is a picture of its last production form.

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Considering reintroducing the Wolverine
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
I liked the straight profile better, but have not shot the convex profile. Did you get the rights to the Hawks talon  as well?
Lucas Kent

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
I'm not familiar with that one Lucas. Any pictures?

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
Yes, Please Bill, consider the original!

I have a first run sample that Harry passed out in Cloverdale to vendors and bought some from 3 rivers when they came out. Shot my first longbow buck with one. Guess that helps make em special to me!   :bigsmyl:

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
Bill,

That original looks awesome. I like a straight profile though for easier sharpening. I have never shot a convex. All I hunt with is your grizzlies so I am sure they will be a great head.

Gabe

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
When I used 2 blade heads, the Wolverine 145 gr? was my favorite.  I still have some I believe.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
I dunno.  The single steel thickness at the point seemed to contribute to the point area bending fairly easily.  At least they did for me. Maybe with a heavier steel, or beefed up some way.  I like the straight edge profile better than the convex.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
Thinking purely from a business perspective it looks a heck of a lot like an Eclipse and a Tusker.  I'm not sure I'd want to compete with them, especially at that price point.  I'm sure your quality would be exceptional but the other guys are really good to in that $25-35 range.  If you can keep the start up cost low with the dies your have maybe.  

I'm all for diversity in the market, but don't forget to take care of you and Tracy.  Spending more time hunting wouldn't be to bad.  Or hell you could break down and build me that quiver hood!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
I am also are more familiar with the straight line version of the Wolverine. The convex version shown was very similar to the Journeyman head.

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
I liked everything about the straight version of this head but the single steel at the tip.  My vote would be for the straight version with a beefier tip.  Thanks for asking and good luck.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
Agreed Jerry.  The straight line version would break off at the tip if you hit heavy bone.  I had it happen on two occasions and stopped using them as a result.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
Looks good to me.  You would have to compete with the eclipse and price point will be a factor you have to meet.  A good 145 gr head should be popular IMO.

In my experience the convex head (eclipse)  is not particularly hard to sharpen and can be made into a pretty stout configuration for its weight.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
I shot a couple of elk with the Journeyman head years ago that were real dead.  LOL

I like the vintage look and with single bevel it could be a real nice head.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »
I agree either configuration is good, personally prefer the straight but both work well. Your real problem is the single layer tip.
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 02:36:00 PM »
In all honesty..

If I were thinking of a head of that shape and build I'd compare it with a tusker and may very well make my choice based on price....assuming the weight was about the same.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 05:02:00 PM »
I would love a nice thick tip single bevel Ace competitor!

Is there any benefit to a convex head? I know concave have some benefits, and I could list some for straight too. But I dont know if I have ever heard of any for convex? (though I love the old school look)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
Thinking purely from a business perspective it looks a heck of a lot like an Eclipse and a Tusker.  I'm not sure I'd want to compete with them, especially at that price point.  I'm sure your quality would be exceptional but the other guys are really good to in that $25-35 range.  
Have you priced Eclipse lately?   they are not in the $25-35 range.

I don't think the head in the opening pic would have a problem curling the tip with the ferrul overlays that close to the tip. They could be extended to the tip without to much trouble I think.

I would be in for a journeyman style head if it is 160g+ and cuts 1-1/4" - 1-3/8" hole.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
Had/have some of Harry's originals 145 grain straight profile and never had a problem with them.  Sharpened up easily, held the edge and flew great.

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
I remember sitting with Harry Elburg a couple or three springs ago and talking about his bows and broadheads...

He mentioned that had he kept the broadhead business he was planning to strengthen the tip on the Wolverine...

I have some of the originals from Harry's shop... never shot anything, but always thought that tip might be an issue contacting bone...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
I like the straight profile.
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©