3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Ohio?  (Read 536 times)

Offline mellonhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Ohio?
« on: August 08, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Me and my son are looking into hunting Ohio this fall.  I have been looking at the maps of public lands on the eastern side of the state.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good hunting spots on the eastern side of Ohio.  Thanks.

Toby

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Ohio?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
Wayne Nat. Forest is awesome. Plenty of wildlife. Just get in shape because everything is straight up and down.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
I've tried to explain it to all you fellas before, there are NO deer in Ohio!  You my try a state wildlife area called Wilcat Hollow.

God Bless,
Frank
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
There are places that still have good deer populations, but it sure has dropped off the cliff the last 3 years. Our state harvest has declined by roughly 10% for the last 3 consecutive years. That's a big decline. It has declined nearly every year, except one I believe, for the last 8 years.

I'm not saying don't come or that you can't kill a good buck, but I figure you should have some information before spending your money. There are some huge bucks on public land, but they aren't as plentiful as they used to be.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »
Tappen lake and Piedmont are two great areas

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Wildcat Hollow is in Morgan County and the two surrounding counties also offer plenty of public land.
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
Why such a drop? On all those hunting shows the deer are like ants at a picnic.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
I think everyone has had the same idea

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
Come when the snow has been on the ground for a week or two,and see how many tracks you see on public land.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Bucky,

Coyotes, liberal bag limits, poaching and undocumented/unrecovered deer are the reason for the decline as best I can tell, but that is just my opinion.

I can't begin to tell you how many guys I have heard say they shot and didn't recover 2 or 3 deer before getting one. I know one guy that shot 6 deer last year, but only found one of them.....

If that translates to very many other hunters, then there are tens of thousands of dead unreported/unrecovered deer.

Anyway, back to the original post, any of the poorly reclaimed coal lands hold deer because the hunting is tough and hard to get in to.

Offline jaroddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
When I lived in Wadworth, Ohio (from 20-23), I was a contractor salesman for the big orange box store.  I can't remember how many workmates hit deer on the way into town.  One even hit three the same year.  Poor lady.  Also, I used to watch them out the front window of my triplex on the outside edge of town.  There was a field across the road.  One time I spied a very nice ten point buck.  But things do change...

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
Oh and the EHD about 5-6 years back didn't help. We lost a ton of deer to that and yet the ODNR said the deer herd was still the same size? Some of the big farms I know lost up to 40-60 deer on a single farm.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
Two cross gun "hunters" got permission to hunt the property that I've been hunting for twenty years.  I found two dead deer, one with a bolt still in it ...They claimed to have nothing to do with it.  Very sad ...
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
Big factor in low numbers is the division of wildlife has been allowing hunters to take 9 deer per year--- 8 of them does!  Seems like someone is working hard to please farmers and insurance.  Won't even get into nuisance permits.  We did have great hunting years ago, but you'll see signicantly less deer now.  Good luck on your trip here.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 05:06:00 PM »
Ive been to Ohio once before. Didn't kill or even see a deer although my partner saw the buck of a lifetime for him. Ohio has some absolutely beautiful country. The scenery and the chance of a big buck was enough to draw me back and I will return this fall. My advice? Your gonna be spending time with your son so just go hunt and enjoy yourself.

I hear some talk of Zaleski State Forest I think it is. Look into that.

Offline mellonhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. I am looking up all the places mentioned to see how they look. I am about an hour from Youngstown on I-80.  I would like to find a place that I can drive about an hour or less after I get into Ohio.  That would make for a 4 hour total commute.  So I could camp or drive back home on the same day if needed.  Keep the info coming. Thanks.

Toby

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
If you plan on camping you'll probably want to focus on Wayne Nat. Forest or some of the state forest. Ohio doesn't offer much in the way of primitive camping and hunting, at least on the WMA's.  I am still researching a few places a little west of where your looking but can PM you with anything I come up with.

Offline Dave Earley

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
NE Ohio deer population, as far as our family can tell, is in the toilet.  Usually we take 4 - 5 deer between 3 hunters; that's all we can eat.  Last year it was 2, and I shot them both.  Had days of seeing zero deer.  Rumor in our area (Knox Co) is that farmers were over-shooting their deer damage permits.  I'm concentrating my energy on elk in Colorado this year; keeping the hopes low for deer.
Dave Earley

"Papa shoot arrows at deer, we eat tasty steaks !"  Matt, my 3 yr old grandson.
Leon Stewart Slammer 64"  55#

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
This isn't catch and release.... Ohio's deer population has been in steady decline for over a decade now... I'll repost from a few months ago:

"Any public land in the state of Ohio is hammered by hunters and slim pickens now. They killed less than half of the deer this year of what they killed during our week long statewide firearm season a decade ago. Yeah, less than half, which is a good indicator of the overall population numbers...

The annual week long statewide firearm season for the 2002-2003 season was:

This year's week long statewide firearm season kill number is:

So 133,391 in 2002-2003 to 67,906 in 2014, is a difference of 67,906 less making it over 50% less killed...

Heck they killed 10 thousand less this year than last year...

These are facts, and that is how severe our population has declined the past decade...

Even the armchair journalist realize it now:

"
By D'Arcy Egan, The Plain Dealer
on January 15, 2015 at 4:44 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Ohio's white-tailed deer hunters are mad as heck and want to tar and feather the Ohio Division of Wildlife decision-makers for encouraging a major slump in this year's deer hunting success.

Sportsmen's complaints will be heard at Deer Hunting Summits, held at five ODOW district offices around the Buckeye State on Saturday, Jan. 24 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. That includes the Akron District Office, 912 Portage Lakes Dr., Akron.

Before you go, reserve a seat by calling 330-644-2293 by Friday, Jan. 23. There should be room. On Wednesday, only a handful of people had registered for the summits.

Don't expect Mike Tonkovich, Ohio's head of deer management, to agree the Buckeye State needs a lot more deer. Tonkovich and his crews will develop new deer management goals this spring after this year's complaints, promising to look at loosening the controls to allow the herd to grow a little this year. But not too much.

Deer hunters complain the ODOW has simply allowed too many deer to be killed in recent years, depleting the population.

"The criticism we've received is an expected reaction," said Tonkovich. "Hunters are dissatisfied, but so were farmers with crop damage and motorists who had hit deer. We live in an agricultural state with 11 million people.

"The first time the deer harvest hit the 170,000 mark (in 2001), it was a record and everyone was excited. After harvesting more than a quarter-million deer (in 2009-2010), the harvest of about 170,000 deer this year is being considered a shame and a disgrace, the end of deer hunting in Ohio as we know it."

Tonkovich said a buck harvest that had peaked at about 90,000 antlered deer would shrink to about 65,000 this year. Ohio hunters may have been killing more bucks in recent years, but there was a sort of disconnect in 2006 and 2007. More bucks were being harvested, but the number of bucks qualifying for trophy status with the Ohio Big Buck Club did not increase.

Deer hunting in Ohio has radically changed over the last couple of decades. While gun hunters once killed 90 percent of the deer during their short week-long season, bowhunters now harvest more than 50 percent of the deer aided by a four-month campaign. More deer are now taken with crossbows, which were first allowed in 1979, rather than compound bows or traditional longbows.

No one seems to remember a promise made long ago that the crossbow hunting season would be trimmed if crossbow hunters began to take more than their share of deer.

Making Ohio hunter success more difficult has been a loss of public hunting grounds, from mismanaged wildlife areas to vast southern Ohio tracts once opened to the public by timber, coal and electric companies. The situation is so dire that ODOW surveys of resident hunters show only about 5 percent now hunt public land only. Resident hunters who sometimes hunted public land fell from 49 percent to just 32 percent from 2000 through 2012.
"

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:
There are places that still have good deer populations, but it sure has dropped off the cliff the last 3 years. Our state harvest has declined by roughly 10% for the last 3 consecutive years. That's a big decline. It has declined nearly every year, except one I believe, for the last 8 years.

I'm not saying don't come or that you can't kill a good buck, but I figure you should have some information before spending your money. There are some huge bucks on public land, but they aren't as plentiful as they used to be.
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. When I lived there 10-15 years ago, I was able to get within 5 feet of deer around Mosquito Lake on 3 different occasions. Problem was I was always too close and couldn't  ever get a shot off without spooking them.

I used to have tons of sign on our 100 acre property, but never actually saw deer during the season. I had to go to public property to actually find them. Go figure.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©