3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Ohio?  (Read 535 times)

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Ohio?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
Should be bucks only on public land so the kids can at lease see a deer.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
Ok, I have to chime in here a minute. Yes, the deer numbers are down that's for certain. But I'm here to tell you the big bucks are still there. I have been fortunate to have had the same lease for over 18 years now. Yes up until last year we were not seeing as many doe. But to have the quality bucks we have in this state you have to have the doe/buck ratio right. We saw an increase in the number of deer this past season. We were even lucky enough to harvest 2 quality bucks. But we saw several more. Ohio has the misconception that there is a big buck around every tree. Sorry folks that's just not true.

So, as far as the post, depends on what you are looking for in your hunt. If it's just to get away and hunt with your boy and maybe have a chance at a bruiser then by all means come on down. If you just want to fill your freezer of venison then go to WVa and shoot all you want.

Some great hunting opportunities on public land if you are willing to walk a bit. If you stay close to the raods then you will see the same things everyone talks about. Look up Egypt valley wildlife area and if it interests you send me a pm and we can chat. I'll get you somewhere to camp don't worry.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
I see and have opportunities on public land every year.  I look at it like elk hunting you have to get away from people.  That said the number of deer seen in a season has dropped dramatically the last five years.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:
[QB] Ok, I have to chime in here a minute. Yes, the deer numbers are down that's for certain. But I'm here to tell you the big bucks are still there. I have been fortunate to have had the same lease for over 18 years now. Yes up until last year we were not seeing as many doe. But to have the quality bucks we have in this state you have to have the doe/buck ratio right. We saw an increase in the number of deer this past season. We were even lucky enough to harvest 2 quality bucks. But we saw several more. Ohio has the misconception that there is a big buck around every tree. Sorry folks that's just not true.

So, as far as the post, depends on what you are looking for in your hunt. If it's just to get away and hunt with your boy and maybe have a chance at a bruiser then by all means come on down. If you just want to fill your freezer of venison then go to WVa and shoot all you want.

Some great hunting opportunities on public land if you are willing to walk a bit. If you stay close to the roads then you will see the same...

Couln't of said it any better.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 05:29:00 AM »
I live in the middle of Ohio National forest land and I hunt it 90% of the time and don't have any problems seeing plenty of deer. As said before you just have to get off your rear and get deep in the hills and thick cover. The deer are there you just have to find them. I would probably look at the PIEDMONT or EGYPT VALLEY area to meet your travel requirements. Just my opinion.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©