3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stillwater self bows by Gene McGlashen .. what do you know ??  (Read 2359 times)

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stillwater self bows by Gene McGlashen .. what do you know ??
« on: August 08, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
I have a beautiful Stillwater self bow by Gene McGlashen and have not been able to find out much about him or his bows. Anyone have one or know Gene. This bow was donated to PBS back in the 90's … Beautiful Osage

best to ya, Ken

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stillwater self bows by Gene McGlashen .. what do you know ??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
Gene is from Michigan and has donated a several bows to the PBS over the years.  I have one, too.  He is a master craftsman of the English style longbow; long with a deep "D" profile and horn nocks.  Mine is a wonderful shooter and surprisingly efficient for a self bow.  I don't think he hangs out on the internet much but does show up at some of the Michigan events.  Good guy.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
I picked up two of his bows this year and the man I purchased them from said they were among the last he sold. One is an osage selfbow and the other is a laminated bush bow with a hickory back and osage belly. Both have fancy nocks.

Here is a link to a tribute to Gene from an archery organization as he passed on 11/4/2013. See page 9 for the tribute.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53962ccee4b0c2d878beb9ed/t/53e0f84fe4b0262219c545ce/1407252583539/Sticktalk+July+2014

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
Yes, Gene was a master craftsman, bowyer! He also built fine glass bows, too! I was fortunate to build strings for him back in the '90!

I have some wood he cut, Osage and ironwood in Michigan, and also have his VCR how to tapes. He built an awesome Grumley style bow!

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Thank you gentleman for the information ... I am sorry to read in SportHunters link that Gene has passed. I did find something in the Trad Gang search on a post by Ron LaClaire on his Grumley style bows.

best to ya, Ken

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
No problem Ken, I was in your place a few months back when I bought those bows and was searching for information myself. There isn't much on the web to find but what keeps resounding is that the man was a very fine craftsman and well respected bowyer.

The examples I have were bought to study a masters work since I build some myself. RIP Gene, I never met you but your bows will continue to throw arrows in your honor for years to come.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
Didnt Stillwater bows advertise in TBM way back?
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »
Gene was from Harrison MI. he was a regular at the K-zoo expo with a table full of beautiful bows, always loved looking at his work.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:
Gene was from Harrison MI.
Bought my first bow from Gene when he lived in Lawrence, MI.  A Stillwaters Aberdeen 3-pc takedown recurve.  I sold it but, I know where it is and the current owner has not shot it.  I may very well buy it back one of these days.  Very nice gentleman and bow.
homebru

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
Hey Kennym, yes he did advertise in TBM in the 90s issues!
Gene built a foward riser recurve. He was also sued for an issue with one of his bows, bought used. With the help of others in the Tradtional archery builders and business, he won out.

If memory serves me, there was also an article wrote about him and his bows in TBM
A fine gentleman, Gene was!  RIP

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
You have a wonderful Bow Ken. 2 years ago this weekend, At the Great Lakes Longbow Inveitational, was the last time I was to speak with my friend Gene, as he passed away that November.
He was one of the Best bowyers around and I was indeed blessed to have spent a fair amount of time with him in his shop, and at the shows over the last 5-6 yrs before he died. this weekend has brought back many memories for me as I indeed miss him. He taught me much about bow and wood, as well as life in general. We shared Many long talks at the events we sat up next to each other at. I surely miss him.
Back to bows,
His self bows are second to none and speak for themselves, I have a Sterling that he made for me, that was the ELB.  I regret never having pick-up a Grumm, or any of them for that matter. They are so pleasant to just hold and look at.
I now have 3 of his Aberdeen take downs. Working on a forth. I also now own what he had left on hand for making his glass bows. I have the form for the Aberdeen T/D and some of the Templates for the 1pc Dundee. I have been working on my skills he passed on to me for wood bow making, but those are HUGE shoes to fill. After 15+ yrs of self bow making, Gene showed me that I was just getting warmed up and showed and taught me how to move beyond my current level. Now I finally have time to once again set up my stave bench. His wonderful wife allowed me all of his bow making tools after he died so I am ready for this challenge.  this winter will be a fun time for me.  I just remembered I also have a big stack of logs, staves and billets that Gene gave me. Fun is on the way.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
Thanks Mr Deshler for the additional info … the bow I have is marked "Stirling" and has wraps around the limbs that look like those on a fine fly rod. I had never seen that before.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 06:38:00 AM »
Chuck, that is great to hear! Wish you the best!

Elken, the wraps were usually used to cover a knot or cluster of pin knots or other flaw. Then another wrap on the other limb to match. Gene's osage bows were very clean wood! He chose great wood!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
I also forgot to mention that I have his bow bench. I should have this installed in my shop by weeks end.

Frank, That is one thing Gene did advocate, "Clean Wood!" And he was a master at using it.  The way he Dressed up a finished bow was very unique and beautiful. I am nervous to try and reproduce his "Footed Nocks". I have never seen anybody else do them, and he was keen on telling me I needed to be able to add them. I will be sure to give it a try.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
Chuck.....now I know what rekindled your self bow journey!  When craftsmanship and sentimentality collide.....well, there's going to be some beauty to behold.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
Thanks Rob. Its been a few years coming,  but I think the time is right.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
Decided to tune and hunt with an Aberdeen this year. I hope to get it set up this Weekend.
Stay tuned for pics.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
Footed nocks Chuck? Can you describe them or post a pic? Id like to see them.

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
Good luck on the new bow line, I have seen several of Gene's bows and they were all extremely well done. I would also love to see his self nocks, he truly had a gift for wood.
Lucas Kent

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
I cant find the pictures of the self nocks on my computer.  they might be on a card, but I will have to look later. Hope to be making some soon.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©