3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: LW climbing stick math ?  (Read 756 times)

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
LW climbing stick math ?
« on: October 11, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
Hello all - I have another Lone Wolf climbing stick question.  I have searched and reviewed a few threads and am still left with a question.  I am contemplating a future purchase and would appreciate any explanations and experience.

These are advertised as "Approximate height 3 pack 15-16'"  Several folks here have stated that they are at 16+ feet with 3 sticks.  A few have posted that they are at 20' with four sticks.  However, when I look at the sticks, at 15" between steps, I can only figure 15' to the top of four sticks if you use 15" between sticks.  If you stretch to 20" between sticks I can still only calculate <17'.  If you step high up onto a treestand platform you will be at 18.5'.

I feel like, if I want to play it safe and have the top step at platform height, you would realistically need four sticks to get to 16 feet.

What am I missing?  I am not criticizing here, just trying to figure it out.  Trying to decide between the sticks and enough individual steps that I could get to 24' for the same price.  The steps could be more flexible and actually give me two stand sites rather than one with sticks.  The steps would pack around easier.  The sticks could go up quicker.

Sorry for the ramble, just thinking out loud and looking for some experienced comments or correct math.  Maybe I'm over thinking it but $150 is worth some brain time.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: LW climbing stick math ?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
Yeah, I always wondered the same thing. They must be jumping off a stump to reach the bottom stick if they are ending up at 16'.

And you are right, you should NEVER step UP onto a stand. My harness strap is attached before I step down onto my stand.

LW sticks are really nice. I carry in two sections to reach tie on steps that start at 8'. So far, the stand has not been stolen.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Forester,,,I'll be totaly honest with you,I don't really know how high I get with 4 LW sticks and it doesn't really matter to me.ButI do know they are alot quicker and easier than 10 or 12 screw in steps. For probably 10yrs or better I carried 12 screw in steps with me because I put up a stand every time I hunt, ounce I figured out a system with the sticks I don't know why I had not gone to them sooner! They are a pricey investment, but for me it was well worth it.
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Treestand height might have a direct correlation with how far a successful shot is made  ;)  

I have four to do exactly what you mention.  

You could add a length of rope to each one...a stirrup...that will get you close to or at 16 without the 4th.

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
Good math.  If you are at 16 feet with three sticks, you have them streached out.  The steps on the sticks are not far apart.  The question is, how far do you want to put the sticks apart, and how far from the tree stand.  I agree that you need a step somewhat close to the platform, but I usually use a couple EZY climb screw in steps at the top and then leave the stand.  Just put up the sticks when I come back to hunt.  To go to 24 feet you are probably going to need more than four sticks, or add some screw in steps. If you go to 24 feet, that is almost 2 1/2 stories.....and a tad higher than I go.  The shooting angle gets tough from that high, but it also depends on the lay of the land.  
Good luck.
Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
Good Heavens, I started to type a reply and there was three more replies before I got done!

Nice to see Red Beastmaster jump in here!  Good info from him.

Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
I will leave the math up to you. What I will tell you is that I kill deer frequently using three sticks and my brother only uses two. Three sticks gets me plenty high and I am only 5'5" so I am not stretching them.

I have a bunch of individual strap on steps that would get me way higher but I never use them. With the sticks you only have to secure three items. That makes them fast and requires less time engaged in one of the more dangerous aspects of treestand hunting (IMO).

To give you some idea how much I like the sticks, I have a LW sit and climb that stays home most of the time.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses folks.  I’ll need to think this through again with your confirmation.  Again, I wasn't criticizing, just trying to be smart.  You have brought up good points for safety and good shooting, all of which I agree with.

The way I set up a treestand now:  I use rope-on-steps to get to a comfortable height according to terrain and the cover/branches in/around the tree.   This puts me between 8’ and 17’ platform height with 14’ – 15’ the norm (doubt I would go above 18’ platform for any reason as I also do not like a very steep shot angle nor a very high stand).  I usually have 18” – 20” between steps which is a comfortable and natural step for me.  Using 10 rope-on-steps I usually step slightly down onto the stand.  I have an extra safety line above the stand that I clip to from below before removing my climbing safety rope, so I am never free of the tree.  I can carry ten steps, the extra line, and a stand bracket in the cargo pockets of my pants.  Actual installation time is between 15 and 30 minutes depending upon the set-up.  Less time spent could be safer but I am always strapped on lineman style during installation so I'm comfortable with that aspect.

That makes for $85 in steps to reach a safe 15’ and they are carried in my pockets.  I’m guessing the sticks would be a little quicker, maybe quieter, and less physical exertion so a stealthy hang and hunt may be simpler.  But if it costs $60 more and I have to carry 4 sticks across my back it may not be worth it.

Thanks again.  I needed a sounding board with experience and TradGang comes through.  Hunt safe everyone!

LV2HUNT - what kind of strap on steps do you have collecting dust?  Looking to move them?
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
That's why I use Rapid Rails instead. The rails nest together, have sides on the steps so you are more secure going up or down, you can stand on the rail on top as well, and with four rails I can get up over 18 feet..even being vertically challenged and overweight as all get out. They weigh a little more...but they offer more stability in my opinion.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
"what kind of strap on steps do you have collecting dust? Looking to move them?"

They are one piece strap ons that I got from Cabelas long ago. They do not seem to make them anymore. I think I will hang on to them as you never know.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
JMTC
I don't beleive they are talking about where your feet are, but where your arms are.
All in the advertising. They get to add more height without adding more stick.
For example, in construction a condor or scissor lift is for the actually working height where your arms can access a apoint rather then the height your feet are standing at.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
I think most people are estimating how high they are and probably not as high as they think. I usually put my stands about 16' high and quickly found out that to be safe, I need 20' of ladder, otherwise I am trying to climb UP off the TOP of the ladder into the stand, not a good plan.

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
Forester, I think your math is right.  I just bought four sticks, and practiced quite a bit with them, and agree with what you came up with.

as mentioned, above, we often feel higher than we really are.  I brought a tape measure with me, and the base of my stand was aprox 18', and I would have sworn I was over 20'.
(you are right, that the 4th stick becomes your step/handle to safely get on your stand)

As for the sticks, when I mounted my first one, and stepped on it, I thought "no way this is going to work", but they work great, don't budge or wiggle, and act like they become part of the tree.  I'm really impressed.  In fact, it's like they are glued to the tree.

Like others, I'm stretching them out to get a bit more height also.  I never used screw-in steps, but I am really pleased with my Lone Wolf hang on stand, combined with the steps.  Quality product, for sure.
Good luck.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
If you pick a tree with some limbs you can get some extra height. I use two or three sticks based on the tree.

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
Its that same math you used in high school. The distance between the marks is 6" [            ].
 I have  used the Lone Wolf and simalar other brands. I wouldn't use any other type step. The only complaint that I have with Lone Wolf is the alternateing steps when it comes hanging the stand.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
I use four sticks and get plenty high. Fallguy, If when i hang the stand I am off by a step I just reverse all the steps on the sticks going down and then it comes out the way i want it beingthe last step my right foot.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
JDinPA,

If you are using tree limbs to extend your climbing height have the wife call your insurance agent and raise your life insurance limits, and purchase short/long term disability (AFLAC): the odds are in her favor she will either be a widow or a wife to a wheelchair inhabitant soon.

I really want to urge you to NEVER use tree limbs to climb in a stand. I am not joking around..this is serious business.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
With the first step attached at at least 2' from the bottom of the tree,and I always step up to get into my stand(no lectures please),I am getting an easy 20'.My pull up rope has knots every 5' that I put in it,and is attached to the stand platform.Most folks probably measure height to the seat,not the platform,so 20' is very easily attainable with a 4 set of Lone Wolf sticks.........at least in my experience,and I've been using them for about 4 years now.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
The guys getting that high are using the stick above them to pull themselves up to the next step.  The Lone Wolf sticks are solid enough to do that; try it on the bottom step first   ;)  

I will do it for the first step, but set the next ones so I can just stretch enough to get to the bottom step of the higher step.

I am 6'-1" and I can get PLENTY high with 4 steps.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
I just tried out my new LW sticks and AA lock on today.  What a great system.  The lineman's belt makes it all effortless and safer than I've ever been whilst climbing trees.  I kept the lineman's belt attached and had no trouble setting the stand above the top stick.  I did find that three sticks isn't quite high enough, though.  I'll have to order a fourth.  Other than that, I'm tickled with the LW stuff.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©