3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: LW climbing stick math ?  (Read 757 times)

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: LW climbing stick math ?
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
"had no trouble setting the stand above the top stick". Thats some scary stuff, I did that kinda thing when I was younger, but I know to many people that have fallen out of trees now and a couple of them are lucky to be alive and not paralyzed.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
Been using them exclusively for 8+ years.  I set it up and down every time in to hunt.  Set it about 50-60x each year.  Rather than 4 sticks I use two folding screw-ins at the bottom.  Do that math at about 16" apart. Starts you off with the bottom step of the first stick at 48".  48 + 32 + 16 + 32 + 16 + 32 + 16 to stand platform. I have lineman going up plus belt the harness before stepping on the platform.  Leaves me at about the same as four sticks would- platform at 16'.

Good hunting
Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Rick,

If I never unstrap my safety harness going up or coming down, why is that such a reckless move?

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
I think your math is good. Last year there was a guy who claimed to get 24 feet with 3 sticks.. Seems he was putting them 4 feet apart and pulling himself up (?????????)
Personally I like 4 sticks as the forth one will probably be above my stand and make stepping on and stepping off a lot more comfortable.
Seldom do I set up in a tree that I don't get a couple of freebies by way of a branch or two.
Then on the other hand the sticks are only good for trees up to 16" diameter, so believe me I keep the drill and the screw-ins handy. By the way, they make a good fence stretcher too.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Earl- not sure why you limit yourself to 16" dia.- just a loop of high tense climbers rope looped to the strap.  I always carry 12" extensions.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
KSdan...I don't limit myself to 16" that is what the sticks are rated for. Add your 12" extension and you are up to 20", still about a foot and a half short of the trees I like to hunt from.  Plus, I haven't figured out how to get it around the tree other than the first and second stick, when I can walk around the tree.. Yeah I know you can play catch, but there is always way to much junk on or around the back side of the tree. Believe me they have their limitations, and although they are not as handy, screw-ins are still more versatile, and will work in places anything that has to girdle a tree just won't get it  done.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
Forester.  I think that there are some long legged folks that stretch it as much as you were asking.  If you make a 2.5 foot step between the ground and first step and between each piece and then again at the top (onto the stand) you can get up there pretty good.  I don't feel that need lately.  

As stated very well above.  It has been concluded that stepping up into the treestand is probably not a very safe habit, as that means you have to step down at the end of the day.
ChuckC

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
Thanks for all of the feedback, your answers have been very helpful.  It sounds like everyone has worked out their own system and are happy with using the LW sticks.  I can see all of them being feasible but some of them are not for everyone.  I guess the general use/advertised application involves a little stretching between sticks - not a problem if it's reasonable and you are connected while climbing.

Nobody has complained about carrying the sticks so I guess they are pretty managable.  Your responses have helped me think this through.  I might find a place for a set of them in the future but they will have to fit comfortably in the budget.  Doesn't seem worth stretching (in $$ or climbing) for just yet.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
Ray Hammond-Rapid Rails-   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

No pointy impaling parts.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
you got it, brother. I like to keep all my insides "inside" where they belong...and all my 'outie' parts attached.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
It is always best to step down onto the stand not up to it. That way you are not fully committed if the stand shifts.  Not following that rule is how I got the name Fallguy.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©