3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mountain Goats Wisdom  (Read 2300 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Mountain Goats Wisdom
« on: August 08, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
I am sitting on 23 days and a wake up for goats in BC. I am still working hard on the bike, hiking with my pack on as many hills as I can hit here in Illinois, and rolling at the jiujitsu school 3 days a week. I know it is a bit unconventional training but it is helping with weight loss and conditioning. I know nothing can prepare me for those climbs but that is what I am doing...

I will be with an outfitter who has guided Tradgang guys before and I feel confident with my choice there. After reading many posts about Nanny mortality and spending my nose in the excelent book "A Beast the Color of Winter" it will be Billy or photos. If anyone knows me they know it is the experience that I want.

We will ride into the backcountry on horses and climb from there. I am logging some saddle time but remain a neophyte. I know since I have not hunted goats before I am in for an education. I have done 12 DIY elk and mulie hunts and would have loved to draw a tag in my lifetime for goats here in the states but I will die an old man before that happens. It is now or never and I totally appreciate the opportunity in BC. Six years in the making for me, sacrifice both financially and family wise, and I just want a chance to see a Beast the Color of Winter with a bow in my hand.

So words of wisdom anyone? I have read every thread here but would like to hear some more. My bow setup is good, my body is a work in progress, and my gear kit seems squared away...but I will give you my stuff and you tell me. Thanks in advance!

Bow: Talltines longbow 60 at 30, Tuffhead Meathead with a 100 gr insert on a 31 inch GT 75-95. Arrow weight 668.

Pack: Eberlestock Black Widow 35# with one bladder full
2 Bladders
Lightweight tripod
Vortex Spotting Scope Razor HD 50mm
KUIU Soft shell jacket
Cap
Sunglasses
First Aid kit
Cabelas MT050 Packable Rain Gear
Extra socks
Havalon knife
Headlamp
Emergency kit (fire, water tabs, reflect mirror, etc)
Synthetic sleeping bag
Thermarest pad
3 days of food (4 pounds)
20' Para Cord for hanging pack
Stocking cap for sleeping (bald head)

On Person
Swarovski 8.5x42
Bow w arrows
2 layers (wicker and a top layer of assorted Mtn Garm)
Boot liners with wool blend outside
Gloves in pocket
Lucky hat
Bear mace

Fitness level: moderately active: martial arts 3 days a week,
60 miles a week on road bike, 3.5 miles in hills with full hunting/spike pack, 4 days a week.

Weight today 221...down 23 # since January
Height 6'3"
Mike Davenport

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mountain Goats Wisdom
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »

We'll expect a full story so take notes. You are a lucky man. My window of opportunity slammed shut several years ago.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
Charlie, you can count on it!!! Thanks sir    :thumbsup:
Mike Davenport

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
I've never hunted the West, but I'm dropping pounds and conditioning for a DIY elk hunt in 2016 (and 2017-18-19...).  I wish you the best of luck, sounds like you're doing all you can.  I can't wait to read the details of your hunt!  Congrats on the draw, hit it hard!

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
Sounds like a lean mean machine to me. Good luck-Hap

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »
Bucket list , I wish you all the BEST on your adventure....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 11:27:00 PM »
I am envious, good luck to you.  Can't wait for the story when you come back.  I got within bow range of a nice goat on a non-hunting hiking trip, years ago.  A very special animal for sure.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 11:30:00 PM »
I think your on the right track good luck looking forward to this adventure

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
Scouting the Rubies 3 years ago, had a nanny and kid saunter by.  Impressive animals, but I have never applied for a tag. Luck, and bring back pics
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 11:51:00 PM »
Not going this year, instead trying Moose in BC.  I have been 6 times and plan on going many more, but will never consider myself anything but a amateur. which part of BC? If coastal, it can be wet, foggy, snowing cold, windy and/or very hot and sunny.  a couple things off the bat, flash light and small tarp, I would lose the spotting scope and tri-pod, outfitter likely has one and I have never had a use for. at altitude you want some sun screen.  meat bags (keep stink and blood out of your pack),  Get the best boots you can(and break them in), a water filter (steri-pen) just in case, expedition merino socks and some mole skin, Advil back and joint medicine.  Take two knives (very rocky pelts)!I always take harness and half rope between me and buddy.

here is gear lists I have used in past:

If you open the link they are not so blurry....

I have learnt the hard way on many trips, what to take, how to prepare, etc.  One big part of goat hunting everyone forgets or doesn't talk about is mental preparation and know how to push yourself but not to the point where your compromising safety (which is really important with goat hunting.  I have learnt to push to get the best possible experience and trip but making sure I return to my family.  I am not scared to say, I have cried, broke down, been awed, had the greatest experiences, all in several hours of a goat hunt.

Abs and legs are the most important, do squats, bells, running up very steep hills, balance exercises. "mental...mental....mental" empty your tank in several workouts (water, food-slow and fast sugars, etc.) and this will allow you to see your mental strength.  

most important take lots of pictures until you think you have way to many and take a hundred more.

Please share what ever the outcome.  good luck and savour the experience.

If you want to talk more email me....
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
3T many thanks for that! I will look over things and take those suggestions to heart. Appreciate it!
Mike Davenport

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 05:15:00 AM »
Hope you have a great time.

Get above them; they don't expect it and it really befuddles them for awhile afterwards if they spot you.

They generally look a lot bigger with their hides on.  The hair can be real long (although not too long in early September) so consider that when you shoot.

Camp up top if you can.

Definitely bring some blister stuff.

Some kind of crampons. Depends on the terrain but I like kahtooli microspikes.  Great on steep mud or grass slopes.

If you have a way to take pics thru your spotting scope its a lot of fun and you can really look the animals over via pics on your camera.

I didn't see a hiking stick or two but maybe I missed it.  The screw/rotate ones seem to break so I like the ones with lever locks.  Better yet, get a black diamond whippet or 2.  It's a hiking stick with an ice axe for a handle.  Been meaning to get one myself but don't really need one this season, and I already have an ice axe.

Hope you get a big one.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 06:09:00 AM »
i haven't hunted mtn goats, (i've seen them though) but i have DIY hunted tahr.
this is good advice-

Originally posted by Hummer3T:

I have learnt the hard way on many trips, what to take, how to prepare, etc.  One big part of goat hunting everyone forgets or doesn't talk about is mental preparation and know how to push yourself but not to the point where your compromising safety (which is really important with goat hunting.  I have learnt to push to get the best possible experience and trip but making sure I return to my family.  I am not scared to say, I have cried, broke down, been awed, had the greatest experiences, all in several hours of a goat hunt.  

take stock and enjoy the time on the mountain. when it's go time go hard.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 06:16:00 AM »
x2 all of this-

i rate getting above them a higher priority than getting the wind right. you have near zero chance of getting into trad bow range from below so i get above them and take my chances on the wind. (which are better than approaching from below)

Originally posted by chinook907:

Get above them; they don't expect it and it really befuddles them for awhile afterwards if they spot you.

Camp up top if you can.

Some kind of crampons.  

get a black diamond whippet or 2.  It's a hiking stick with an ice axe for a handle.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
Wow! lucky you! The biggest thing I would suggest is to have fun. Don't stress yourself out and enjoy it while you can. I'm not a expert in anyway but agree with everyone else and get above them if possible. That's how I got mine. I got supper lucky and a group walk into a little finger wash where I could get above them with ease without them seeing me. With my limited experience with goats, mainly scouting them the lost wallet technique seems to work if you get busted or had to cross in open ground. Take some picks and keep us posted.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Thanks all of the advice: I did forget my hiking sticks. Lever lock kind. I will look into the crampons as well!

The advice on mental prep is spot on. I have put myself into the red zone many times on this journey. Believe it or not, that is where the Brazilian Jiujitsu comes into play: rolling for an hour straight with a black belt nearly being choked out and fighting through, pushing past my exhaustion level with basically no air and NOT quitting until the lights go out. The key is to know where that line is I guess, and taking advice from you fellas, walk it.

The plan is to sleep high in a spike camp to make our glassing and hunting closer than the 2500 vertical we have to climb to get there every day. I have done that many times with high country mule deer but I am sure nothing as steep as this. The climbs I have done into the Rio Nat'l Forrest were at 13,000 plus but the gradient was less steep.

Thanks again for all the advice and well wishes. I have 3 more weeks to prepare mentally and physically. Keep 'em coming if you got anything!
Mike Davenport

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
Spent two months solo hunting them here in Idaho last year. One thing I would suggest is to take along a piece of white sheet, doesn't have to be big maybe 3'x3'. Goats are curious animals, especially Billys in rut. Drape over rock or bush where they can see it. Often they will come to investigate. Good Hunting, Mike

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
I realize weight is a concern, but have you thought about one extra bow string. some people really like those trekking poles. I personally would not take one. you also may think of a way to strap your bow on your pack for the really steep climbs. most of all enjoy and be safe    :thumbsup:
Kevin Day

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
One other thing: my tripod and scope are my camera...I use a phonescope which turns my Samsung S5 phone into a darn fine camera. I have experimented with both video and stills. Anything inside a 1/4 mile is fair game. Closer and you get really good pics/video. I decided on this instead of my expensive camera that mostly likely would be beat to death.

The white sheet idea is cool. I have a very light hooded jacket made out of cheesecloth material. I use it for cover for snow when I am hunting on the ground.

I am already thinking through my gear list. I am a medical person by trade and have a base camp kit with suture stuff, IV fluids, dressings, etc. I will make a point to put together a little blister kit to go with my little first aid kit in my pack.

Thanks again everyone!
Mike Davenport

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
Dang Mike that sounds like an awesome trip.  You're already better prepared than many and it's good that you have two goals in mind, Billy or photos.

Just have a few suggestions after a life spent outdoors and in the military...

1. Two is one, one is none.  Consider the minimal kit that you'll need to be successful and double those items.  

2. Three is a guarantee and four is more.  You can take this too far but you get the point...

3. Pack a couple of cloth bandanas.  Amazing how many times they come in handy.

4. Read 'Bows on the Little Delta' by Glenn St. Charles.  His enthusiasm and self-deprecating manner on high-country hunting really shines through.

5. Remember to give thanks, always and frequently, for life and the opportunity to experience it.

I'll be following your adventure along with the gang.  Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jack
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©