3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mountain Goats Wisdom  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mountain Goats Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
I forgot to mention walking sticks, I would have at least one, great for side  hilling or with a load on.  just makes you safer.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »

Goats are way easier to capture with a camera than shoot with a recurve or LB. I have been lucky enough to have hunted them years ago when it was an easier draw in Washington, but I did not kill or shoot at one. I did scout and lead another of my hunting buddies to a nice billy that he did seal the deal on. Each fall after elk season I go up to goat country to wind down from my September hunt. You will be amazed at the country they can inhabit and how easily they get around the steepest rock faces. They can cover terrain in a few minutes that can take you hours to maneuver around. They are truly a majestic animal.

Your prehunt work sounds great. Be sure to have some climbing rope. We had my buddies billy fall into a spot that would not have been accessible without it. Good luck and be safe ... take lots of pictures     :campfire:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
Great photo ElkKen. Got my tag in the early 80s, was lucky to take one, when storys of Goat hunting come up I seem to always say "after that, hunting was never the same"  ..OE

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
My only thought is about wearing the boots as much as you can on rough ground.  As go the feet goes the rest of the body.  Sounds like a great hunt and look forward to the story.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
Mike

I have no advice to give and can only imagine the experience you are about to have.

Good luck and hunt hard.
Make a life, not a living

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 09:20:00 PM »
No advice to give, but I sure wish you luck. By the way, is GPS and/or map and compass in your kit?
Sam

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
Sam compass and map included. Thanks! As for the boots: they have been broken in well since last season. Working them and my feet are not a problem. Just did the 4 mile loop with my pack on...3 more weeks of trying to train like I am going to fight  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
You are in for a fight, no doubt. As much mental as physical, but I know you, and you will be ready on both counts. The one thing you can only pray for is good weather.   Regardless of the outcome it will be an epic trip.

Can't wait for the report!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
Good luck bud! Glad you are getting to do this while young enough to endure it. I am far past the age as to be able to traverse the steep areas where the goats live. I know the experience will be a winner whether or not a kill is registered. Can't wait to hear the complete story when you return.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
Have a great trip Mike.  I am excited for you!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 06:58:00 AM »
Mike,
  Best of luck, hope it all comes together for you..
 Never drawn a tag myself, but have accompanied buddies on a couple of goat hunts.

Sounds like you are prepared. Looking forward to the story.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
What an adventure! Good luck....pics, we'll need lots of pics.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 12:46:00 AM »
I just want to say thanks to everyone that chimed in...some open and some by PM and email. I rode a horse yesterday for the first time in many years to condition those "other" muscles that I am not training every day. My shooting is ready...my frame is the best I can get.

I had a long talk with my wife today about a great many things. One of them was realized dreams. It is funny but I have dreamt of this since I was a little boy reading articles on mountain goats in Field and Stream. For some their animal is elk or sheep or perhaps high country mulie bucks...but for me it's goats. Has always been about goats... The dream was seeing them, climbing for them, earning them. I think the chance to hunt these unbelievable athletes of the rim rock and canyon walls is the real dream, dead goat or not.

I am unsure whether this journey will take me to my physical and mental brink, but after hearing from many of you, I suspect so. When it does I will have my longbow in my hand, a quiver full of scary sharp arrows, and a smile on my face. Game on in 18 days. Thanks again for all the input.    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »
Best of luck Mike ...
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
I can think of no greater accomplishment in hunting than bagging a mountain goat with a stick bow. You will need skill to stalk one and put him down. I envy your opportunity and wish you the best.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 06:20:00 PM »
Go get em Mike! Good luck man!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
Good luck Mike.

Offline nock hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
September can be hot here sometimes. Bring some Dr. Scholl's powder for chafing. Its a life saver. Waterproofing your arrows is a must cuz it may not stop raining for the duration. A sil tarp is a good idea for when you get caught in a squall or storm away from camp and its light. I've been on a lot of goat hunts and the best advice on here is get above them. They're always on the look out below now that being said you may get one from below. Good Luck!
62" 61@27" Bighorn T/D Recurve
    50@27" Bighorn Limbs
62" 59@27" Algoma Packbow Longbow
62" 60@27" Algoma Packer 2pcLongbow
62" 60@27" ACS-CX 3pc Longbow
64" 49@27" ACS-CX Limbs

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
Love the post and enthusiasm. Take a good camera and journal if you can, I'm living vicariously through you.

As far as the working out deal, sounds lame but the stair master with a weighted pack has been huge for me (really smoky here not good to hike in)
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
This link has some good information that I used when I got my goat a few years ago.  Billies do some things that will let you know they are billies before getting a positive ID on them.  Be sure to page through the entire document.

ADF&G  Goat Information
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©