3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mountain Goats Wisdom  (Read 2308 times)

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mountain Goats Wisdom
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
Keep it coming! Those vistas are amazing!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
Wow... a hunt of a lifetime mate!
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
:jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:    :archer2:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »
You done well, close to that many griz and still typin!!   :D  

Patiently waiting for the next installment!!   :bigsmyl:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2015, 09:52:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
I made my way down to the only cover I could find and tried to tilt the wind in my favor. The billy was just doing billy stuff: mainly peeing on everything and pawing the ground making a bedding pit.

I moved when he was distracted and at one time he stood with his butt to me I actually stood instead of crabbing. That's when he elected to do a 180 and almost catch me. Maybe he did as he stared for quite a long time and seemed not so sure. I was in an unsteady spot and tried to make contact.

Finally he relaxed and walked parallel to me. By this time I was back to my knees. I picked a spot, Drew and dropped the string. To my horror I got into my rain jacket and watched my arrow sail over his back into the space beyond. I was sick. I tried making another move on him but the footing was awful...I slipped and Sharlene was almost lost forever. My arrow did slide away and it took some crabbing to get out of that bad spot. I saluted him as he hung to the rock wall in the fog, looking like a specter in the fading light. I made my way back up with tears and a smile if that makes sense. I knew it was only day 5 but realized I had lost an excellent chance.

*Can you spot the ghost?
Mike Davenport

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
I have tears in my eyes just imagining that arrow sail high, but I suspect another one flew true.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
Been there myself bud, just not woth goats. Easy how the emotions flow on some of our adventures. Go Team Yeti!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
great story, its always the story and not the kill that matters and you have a great story.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
What a great story so far, keep it coming.  When done would you let us know what rain gear you would have taken if you could?  Best of luck to you.
habujohn

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
The walk out was tough. Cold, wet, heartbroken, but still determined. A coach once told me I didn't have a lick of talent, but I out worked everyone else. I just told myself I had to outwork 'em. I felt bad for my guide as he walked the miles with me and that arrow kept both of us from our families. To make it just a little more fun this is what was in our boot tracks going out  :)  

Sometime during our climb up a nice sized griz had walked our our trail. I told myself to just keep walking. I was glad to see the trailhead to the truck 3 miles later. To say it was rough sleep was an understatement.

Days 6,7,8: Beat up but not beat down
Rain, snow, low ceiling: all the things a goat hunter hates. The precip causes flatlanders to slip. A low ceiling causes guides and hunters to go nuts not being able to glass. We basically spent the three days walking into different valleys and glassing. Mainly we were walking getting wet and just dealing with the conditions. Tough on both of us as the time clicked away. Truthfully though I was in good spirits. How could you not just love the mountains? I kept smiling, kept my feet moving and soaking up the goat experience.

Day 9: still raining, still dreaming

We hiked into the area I had missed the goat, 3 miles in to glass. I wanted lightening to strike twice as he was not buggered up. He couldn't even see me in that soup. Unfortunately it was an empty slide. We covered a couple more miles and found a young billy in a good spot. Just like that it was on! We had to climb some crappy slick stuff. Once again I found that my rain gear wasn't all that hot. Everything was wet even though the rain was just a mist.

We climbed and climbed and I took a couple of spills. You'd figure my size 14s would give me a little stability. No, not really. We finally had a stalk plan. I love to look at the route and wind and try it. It is my favorite thing! As it was, it wasn't a long stalk. I came out below him as he had moved higher during the hour we had lost saw him. Busted...he did the vanishing goat thing, climbed 300 vertical and dared us. We slunk out with our tail between our legs. The walk out took a little longer, my shoulders were starting to slump, but Troy kept me laughing. He reminded me I was a sneaky bast***, and that I was going to get a chance. The problem was I was to get on a plane tomorrow. My time was up...until I called my wife. She assured me that she wasn't leaving me, and that my honey-do list could wait 24 hours. I slept good, pleased that we'd have good weather tomorrow for the first time all week.
Mike Davenport

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
I'm on the edge now too...and?

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
Keep it flowing man!

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
WOW! What an adventure. Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with all the good threads on this site. But I do have a piece of advice for anybody that's gonna be riding a horse on a hunting trip and doesn't have access to horse. Ride a bicycle. You sit on the same muscles and it will toughen them up. Can't wait for the rest.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
Day 10: Last Day
I awoke with a spring in my step. I felt, I don't know, right. Breakfast was filled with hope. I just knew something cool was going to happen. We elected to give the billy from the day before a look and walked way back in there again. For once we had a clear look at the mountains. The temps were 60, 60 bleeping degrees after a week of freezing and initial stages of hypothermia.

When we got there to the basin we glassed up a large group of nannies and kids. No billys. It was kind of deflating. Then he popped up, right where we needed him. Young billy but definitely worth a climb. Off we went, 2500 vertical through some steep slides and a few glacier fed seeps. It was slow going, taking about 2 hours. We tried the end around in full view of the nannies and kids. They were safe on the cliffs and just looked at us strange, we little bipeds with low V02 max and inefficient hearts.

After easing ahead I spotted our goat, not where it was supposed to be bedded, but a couple hundred away. I eased in to close leaving my pack but taking my arrows. I had little cover and new it was a gamble. I tried it for the heck of it, really as our options were nothing. As I got to about 50 yards, the cover was up. The young billy was looking smaller, I had a weird feeling like this wasn't my goat. Matter of fact, it was looking like a young nanny. Conflict, uncertainty as I just laid there on the side of the mountain watching a perfectly good goat that I didn't really want to kill.

Nanny? Hell I still don't know. Too young to tell.
Mike Davenport

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
Wow really sounds like a great trip, love the story.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
Time kind of drug on and I decided not to shoot but close some distance if I could. I started crawling when he/she laid down. The darn black flies were wearing both us out. She would flick her ears and I would curse them like a sailor as I couldn't move. At some point she got up and stared me down as I had moved into the red zone of sorts, say 35 yards.

She walked off a little and I was on the fence as to follow. I sat up to one knee and pinched a black fly sadistically and caught a slight noise above. Someone had kicked a rock, and as I turned here was a billy, a young but good billy taking a walk right down central. Before I knew it he was into range and I let it rip. A no-doubter in my mind. I looked back a Troy with wide eyes. I might have said a bad word in shock, I don't know.
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
It happened so fast and he covered so much distance before I could stand. He did what goats do when trouble starts: they climb. He was out of sight before I knew it. We didn't have much sign and no arrow. Time was running out as we had an hour plus to go before dark and we still had some real nasty stuff to climb out of. We figured we had an hour to get the goat found, butchered and out. We walked and glassed some to try and find him and picked up a few drops of blood. We finally climbed onto and bench and saw white.

I walked up on my billy and became the first person to lay hands on him. I was happy as I have ever been and thanked God out loud. I mean look around...how could you not believe with majesty such as this all around.

We had to work fast knowing there were some bad spots just to get to the valley floor, not to mention the bloody walk 4 miles to the truck. The photos were rushed, and we worked as a team quartering him. As always the heart was buried by me nearby and I had a moment to thank him for the life to feed my family. I deboned everything and took the liver as well as a gift for Troy's dad. We were loaded heavy but happy heading down the mountain.

*Loaded with my billy, Sharlene riding close

We made it out to the valley just as we needed our headlamps and made the long trek to the truck. A happy walk with a friend, talking about hunts to come. I will be back to this part of the world to hunt again, goats again maybe. Bears for sure.

I made my flight the next day on 9/11. I thought about the freedoms we have. How a man can go to another country and hunt, travel home safely to his family and enjoy the freedoms of our republic. I am blessed, we all are.

So today my family and I cleaned up our meat, canned some and froze some. That animal that 72 hours ago that made me so happy (and maybe a little sad) is now going to feed my hungry family for many meals.

Tonight we had braised backstrap and talked of wild animals that live in cliffs and look down on us from above. All is right in the world.

Mike Davenport

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
What a great hunt and story telling! Glad you had a great hunt and ended with a fine trophy, congrats!!! Now good luck this deer season!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
Congrats!!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©