3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Educate Me About Fletching Jigs, Please  (Read 560 times)

Offline jaroddog

• Trad Bowhunter
Educate Me About Fletching Jigs, Please
« on: August 09, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
Hello all,
As you can see, I'm nothing more than a longtime lurker here, yet I'm thirsty for some information/help and hope I'll be able to return it sometime in the future.  I shoot a RH Samick Sage 40# (Though my draw length is long so my actual poundage being 6'5" tall is going to be different.)  I also shoot off the shelf via a bear hair rest.  I have a few wood arrows, but considering I can get carbons much cheaper and have a few I've saved up slowly and surely, I'd like a way to refletch them with real feathers, hopefully before hunting season here in Missouri if I can swing one of these puppies.  Please keep this in mind:  I'm working with a real tight budget due to my bow accessory purchases recently and will not be able to afford the best (or may have to wait for my finances to improve before I can buy one and feathers, period.)  What do you like for simple jigs?  I'd be interested in right or left, whichever is cheaper depending on what you all can tell me about this subject.  Which feathers could I get by with until my knives begin to sell better this fall?  Also, what type of adhesive do you recommend?  Is there anything else I would need?  I don't have access to a lot around here, but there's always the internet.  If anyone has a used one around, I'd be interested in hearing about what you would entertain for it, probably.  I'm not too picky, just want something simple and not too complicated.  Is there anything I should know about them besides the questions I asked?  This farm boy is all ears and I'm enjoying all of your posts on this site immensely, so thanks for your input and please keep it up.
Thanks in advance,
Jarod

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Educate Me About Fletching Jigs, Please
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
Hi Jarrod,
Welcome to the site. What part of MO are you from?
As far as fletching jigs go I have a couple Bitzenbergers and a Jojan Multifletcher that both give me excellent results. There are plastic copies of the Bitz out there there are supposed to be pretty good. I'm sure others will chime in shortly with good advice.
Another thing is to check out our state organization United Bowhunters of MO. Very good bunch of guys and if you live anywhere near any of them, I know they would help you out.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
Grayling makes a pretty nice fletcher,and it's around $30. I don't think it matters as far as going left or right wing,only if you plan on shooting single bevel broadheads,then you have to match the feather to the cut on the head.

I just use fletch tite platinum as far as glue goes. A lot of people have had problems with it,but I never have.

Offline jaroddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
I'm from the northwestern part of the state, right along I-35.  I am just outside Bethany now.  Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
Take a look at JoJan mono fletcer or Grayling which is a plastic knockoff of a Bitz.No thumbs up to either one over the other.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline jaroddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
I saw a JoJan once, but I don't think it was the mono.  I'll have a look at the Grayling too.  I did see the fletchtite platinum, as well, but wasn't sure if this is what y'all used or not.  I'll just weigh my options there, I guess.  Thanks!

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
If you don't plan on flethcing a whole lot, send them my way with your feathers and i'll do it....I'll hook you up as a fellow MO native!

I use a jo-jan multifletch, but i only have right hand clamps.

I live in VA right now.  Shipping in a USPS triangle tube is about $8 i think.  Triangle tubes from USPS are free.  i'll cover shipping back to you.

PM me if you're good with this...

Adam

Offline jaroddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
Wow, a quick search on the big a yielded a lot.  I guess I wasn't figuring on the single jobs being so expensive.  What a hobby, haha!  I can see the multi fletcher machines commanding that price, but didn't figure the singles would be that high.  Has anyone ever tried slitting their plastic vanes in an effort to make them more feather like?  Or is that considered taboo?  Haha!  Thanks and forgive my ignorance to the traditional archery subject.  I shot the same wood arrows off my home made long bow for years and have devised a system (a pitchfork I curved the claws on in my forge) for finding the occasional lost in grass arrow, so I haven't needed them replaced until now, they are getting a little ratty and I robin hooded a couple the other day while I was shooting six arrows at a time in my cheapie foam target.  Should have pulled them out three at a time in retrospect.  Appreciate the answers and shared knowledge.  Thanks guys.  Maybe I can find someone local who would trade a fletcher, feathers, and glue for one of my cruder stacked birchbark puukko hunting knives.  I know a couple of traditional shooters but not all that well.  I need to network with some locals anyway.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
The Grayling jig is $34 shipped from Amazon, the Jojan mono fletching jig is $42 shipped.  For $8 more, I would go with the Jojan because it's aluminum and very sturdy.  I haven't used the Grayling, but the Bohning fletching jig turned me off on plastic jigs.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline jaroddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
Thanks, Adam!  A very kind gesture.  And I'll keep you in mind if it comes to that, but I think this is something I want to continue to do to all my arrows, even cheapies in the future.  So I'll see if I can find a way to procure one.  Plus, I'd hate to burden you with all that.  But I appreciate it, brother!

Offline jaroddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
That's a good point, CIC, I might make sure mine is that way too, though I won't be picky if I find one locally.  What suppliers do you guys like to use for your feathers and do you have a preference in terms of shape/size/color in relation to cost effectiveness?  If I order some feathers, I want to be sure to get a good fall/winter hunting color of fletching for the hardwoods and fields here in Missouri in terms of ease of finding them and make sure I don't sacrifice performance by getting too short of fletching, if there is such a thing.  Thanks.

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
I now use a Bitzenburger, but the Bohning Pro Class Fletching Jig is hard to beat for the money. It's basically a nylon version of the Bitzenburger. I fletched a lot of arrows (everything from Axis to 11/32" wood) through the years with mine and have zero complaints. It sells at 3Rivers for 32.99, but you can occasionally find them even cheaper. The only major advantage to the Bitzenburger that I have found is that you don't have to be as careful when scraping the old dried glue off the clamp. That being said they also sell extra clamps for 9.75 instead of 34.25 for the Bitz clamp. As for glue, the Loctite Ultragel Control Super Glue is hard to beat and will run you 4 - 5 bucks almost anywhere (I usually buy at Wal Mart or Lowes). As far as feathers go, I think it's hard to beat the Bearpaw feathers that Kustom King sells. The colors are great and the grind on the feathers is consistent. Their artificially barred feathers don't look as nice as some, but don't look bad, and are much less. That's my $0.02 anyway...if I can ever help you in anyway feel free to shoot me a PM.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by jaroddog:
What suppliers do you guys like to use for your feathers and do you have a preference in terms of shape/size/color in relation to cost effectiveness?  
Amazon or 3Rivers Archery.  I like right wing, 5" parabolic cut feathers.  Color is a very personal thing, I like white arrow wraps with white feathers, but I think a pink wrap and pink feathers would probably be the easiest color to see if you are trying to find your arrow in the woods.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline jaroddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
You're probably right about pink being very easy to spot as its not much of a natural color.  But I may have to draw the line there, just because I might as well enjoy the way my arrows look.  5" might be the ticket for me too, considering my arrows are long.  They would probably be more proportionate and stable that way.  Thanks, sir!

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
My only experience has been with a Bitz. I've had it for over 30+ yrs. and can't recall the price when I bought it but was probably around $45. Now it's almost $100. Does a great job but only one feather and one arrow at a time. This suits me fine as it prolongs the fletching experience which I truly enjoy. I use Fletch Tite Plat. Just make sure shafts are free of any residues. I clean the shafts with iso alcohol. Running down the feather spine with a Q-tip and alcohol doesn't hurt either. Nothing is cheap anymore, not that it ever was.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
Another vote for the jo-jan mono Fletcher. If you want to make it even easier use fletching tape instead of glue. You only have to glue the front edge of the feather, and for me it always comes out alot better. Easier to clean and refletch as well. I personally like banana feathers the best, but most any will do.

Offline jaroddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
So true, highlow.  I do have plenty of isopropyl alcohol that I use on my knives for cleanup of epoxy and many other maintenance issues, so I'll definitely try that.  Thanks!

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
Another thing to consider for visibility is using wraps. The reflective ones are awesome and light up like they have batteries when you hit them with a good light in the dark. It adds a little cost, but is worth it in my opinion. If for no other reason, because it is much easier to refletch later without messing up the shaft. I get all my wraps from Onestringer, but you can order them just about anywhere you order feathers.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline jaroddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Thanks, Cory!  I'll definitely keep that in mind as I'm often after the rabbits and coons in my garden just around and after dusk.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
I used a mono Fletcher for 42 years with complete satisfaction.  Not even sure if it is a Jo Jan or?  The only markings on it is a sticker from the shop that sold it.  The only downside of the mono Fletcher is speed.  Now, I know patience is a virtue, but 12 hours or more to Fletch a dozen shafts is a long time.  I used to take the project to work and Fletch all day and part of the next    :biglaugh:    I now have a JJ multi Fletcher and love it.

But, you have economy concerns so a multi might be something for the future.  Just keep it simple until you can invest more heavily.  You don't need any cresting at all, just get your jig, a tube of platinum and some feathers.  You can save on feathers with the solids as opposed to barred.

Good luck on your project.  Once you get started making your own arrows it just gets better and better.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©