3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: im looking for a snowshoe hare honey hole in michigan..  (Read 999 times)

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
im looking for a snowshoe hare honey hole in michigan..
« on: October 11, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
I want to try and give snowshoe hares a try this winter... where is the best place to go in michigan...???????
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: im looking for a snowshoe hare honey hole in michigan..
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
ttt
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
Don't Snowshoe Hares live at 9,000 ft. I know that they are found in Colorado, and other state with large mountain chains.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
they may live at 9000 feet....but they also live in the cedar and spruce swamps of northern michigan.... I hunt cotton tails heavy in lower michigan..but would like to head north and chases some snowshoes.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
I did some reading, and never mind. interesting fact: Because the hare reproduces quickly, population densities can range from 1 to 10,000 hares per square mile.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 06:21:00 AM »
They, like everything else, are cyclical and can be heavy or light depending on the year?  I did a lot of shoe hunting back in the day around the Houghton Lake area on state land with great success but you never know.  Gotta get out and pound the cedars.

Bob Urban

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
Drummond Island Steve!!  I have heard that is where most people in the state go to hunt them!!  I will do some looking around and see what else I can find out.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
Don't know if its a "honey hole" but we have a lot of them near my place in the UP; Luce County.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
any of the swamps and low lands of the NLP have pockets of them.  But once you cross the bridge, you'll find a lot more of them.

A friend and I hunted a chuck of public land on the north/west side of Higgins off Military Road and kicked out a few last year.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
I'll 2nd Drummomd Island.  When I was a kid my uncle and aunt hunted them religiously thru the Cedar Swamps of Chippewa County in the U.P. They use to fill the freezer with em every winter.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Long Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
Steve,

We use to have a bunch up in Indian River. We've had some family land up that way for 25 years now, and have taken a few over that time. I can't say that I ever just went out for them, kind of just stumbled across them while coming out of the deer woods. One thing we do have is an abundance of cedar swamps!
Derek W.

"I never thought missing could be so much fun!"       -Me

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
im not afraid to cross the bridge either...im gonna find some snow shoes this winter....anyone else it on this trek????
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
I am with ya Steve.  Let's make a plan and run with it.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
Depending on when you go, I may partake in this adventure.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
im thinking a weekend in january ...gotta let the deer season get over...sounds like it would be a good warm up for our annual bunny hunt in february....do we need to have beagles for these hares..or can we just stomp thru the cedar swamps and hope to get lucky??? you guys start tossing up some ideas and areas for possiblities...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
I know I'll be in TX the weekends of 1/12 & 1/19 so That cuts me out of a large part of the month.

I've always hunted them by tracking and stalking but that is kind of dependant on fresh snowfall.

EDIT:  Jan as a whole is always a bad month for me so don't go out of your way to plan around my dates.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
I'm there! just let me know when..
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
I'm in fellas...always wanted to do that.  I would love to hunt with some good dogs.  I think ol' Whitebuffalo has got one...

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
jason...does have a nice dog...but old rosie might have some problems if the snow is deep...we'll be hunting with beagles in february the first saturday after valentines... i think its the 18th.... love to have you steveo...it will be in st johns, mi this year... Whitebuffalo and I will post more info and start sending out emails and pms the beginning of february..Should we make this snowshoe tromp in the northern lower or are we gonna head to the u.p.?????
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
i just wanted to make it clear that the snowshoe hunt is seperate from the valentines hunt....just didnt want anyone to think they were one in the same...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©