3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead/arrow Setup for Elk?  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead/arrow Setup for Elk?
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by looper:
Basinboy, you can still be just as accurate with the heavier shafts, but you'll need to spend the time with them to train your eye to the new trajectory. Once you decide on what you are going to use, stick with that weight exclusively. When the moment arrives, you don't want to be thinking about anything but the spot you want to hit.
Yes but thats the problem i dont have much time to retrain my brain for their trajectory. I leave from work in the morning offshore. The day i get in from offshore we leave for colorado.
This evening i put the simmons head on the 3355 shaft with the 100gr insert for a 560gr arrow. Thats 11.9 grains per pound out my 47# Palmer. It only took me about half an hour to get used to the trajectory.
Thanks for all the advice gang. Best of luck to you all!
Btw, i have killed a bull with my 52# recurve with a 550gr arrow and a 150gr Magnus Stinger.  20 yard shot, watched him tip over at 40 yards   :)
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
Dead elk walking!  Good luck Corey
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
Does CO have a bow weight minimum? And if so, how do they check it? Up to the outfitter?
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
Minimum is 35#.  Never heard of it being checked.  Unless they are going to carry equipment to check it, they are pretty much limited to the markings on the bow, IMO.

As far as I know, there is no mention of the actual draw length of the individual hunter.  So, it may be perfectly legal for a short drawing hunter to be hunting elk shooting at 25 or 30 pounds.  If that hunter Followed the 10 GPP recommendation they could be seriously under bowed, IMO.

It points out the folly of etching these rules in stone.  I think it far better to have wildlife agencies and hunting organizations provide information and educational material to the hunting community.  That is already done to a great extent and given that, very few hunters are going into the field with inadequate equipment.

That said, Some of the wheel bow set ups with over draw rests, very light arrows and mechanical heads can be inadequate at well over 35#.

All this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by highlow:
Does CO have a bow weight minimum? And if so, how do they check it? Up to the outfitter?
Minimum draw weight is 35 pounds in Colorado

5. HAND-HELD BOWS A long bow, recurve NEW!
bow or compound bow on which the string is not drawn mechanically or held mechanically under ten- sion. String or mechanical releases are legal if they are hand-drawn or hand-held with no other attachments or connections to bow (except bowstring).
a. Hand-held bows, including compound bows, must
use arrows with a broadhead having a minimum 7/8-inch outside diam- eter or width and minimum of two steel cutting edges. Each cutting edge must be in same plane for entire length of cutting surface.
b. Only legal, hand-held bows allowed during archery seasons.
c. Minimum draw weight of 35 pounds required. Let-off maximum of 80
percent.
d. No part of bow’s riser (handle) or track, trough, channel, arrow rest or
other device (excluding cables and bowstring) that attaches to riser can contact, support and/or guide the arrow from a point rearward of the bow’s brace height behind the undrawn string.
e. Bows can propel only a single arrow at a time. No mechanisms for auto- matically loading arrows allowed.
f. NEW! Scopes, electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incor- porated into or attached to bow or arrow, with the exception of lighted nocks on arrows. Recording devices such as cameras or video recorders attached to bows may be used as long as they do not cast light toward the target or aid in range finding, sighting or shooting the bow.
g. Hydraulic or pneumatic technology cannot be used to derive or store energy to propel arrows. Explosive arrows prohibited.

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2015, 02:55:00 PM »
"Btw, i have killed a bull with my 52# recurve with a 550gr arrow and a 150gr Magnus Stinger. 20 yard shot, watched him tip over at 40 yards."

If you can shoot a 52# recurve, why wouldn't you use it for elk rather than the 47# bow?

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Orion:
"Btw, i have killed a bull with my 52# recurve with a 550gr arrow and a 150gr Magnus Stinger. 20 yard shot, watched him tip over at 40 yards."

If you can shoot a 52# recurve, why wouldn't you use it for elk rather than the 47# bow?
I can shoot an 80lb tradbow but I'm not deadly accurate like I am at a weight that is comfortable for me to shoot....
If your not confident in your shooting, you just as well stay home in my book

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
I've killed elk. I use simmons sharks.
<><
<------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »
Basinboy, I dont think Orion was making a comment as to whether or not you are able to shoot a heavier bow, as in physical ability.  but, you do have a 54 pound bow in your stable, per your signature.  

If a guy can shoot 80, in my experience then 54 feels like a child's bow.  That being said, that little bit more efficiency might just make all the difference.  Why not use it on an animal that is far larger than deer and hogs?

All that being said, I shoot a 72# bow and often use simmon's tree sharks (this year it's cutthroats, they are local).

Like Cory said, I've killed elk.  And it looks like youve shot at least one?
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Colorado rules.  Does anybody know what this means "and minimum of two steel cutting edges. Each cutting edge must be in same plane for entire length of cutting surface."   I can visualize several scenarios of " same plane".
CHuckC

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
That is meant to define exactly the way a typical two blade is built.  There have been heads that had a corkscrew twist to the blades.

So, at least a two blade broadhead with edges that do not twist or spiral.

Not sure I explained that very well.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkbreath:
Basinboy, I dont think Orion was making a comment as to whether or not you are able to shoot a heavier bow, as in physical ability.  but, you do have a 54 pound bow in your stable, per your signature.  

If a guy can shoot 80, in my experience then 54 feels like a child's bow.  That being said, that little bit more efficiency might just make all the difference.  Why not use it on an animal that is far larger than deer and hogs?

All that being said, I shoot a 72# bow and often use simmon's tree sharks (this year it's cutthroats, they are local).

Like Cory said, I've killed elk.  And it looks like youve shot at least one?
What boils down to is accuracy. Yes I can still shoot my 52# recurve but due to it being a tad too much bow for me these days I chose to hunt with what I have more confidence in which happens to be the lighter longbow. I will put it between the ribs for you guys so I'm sure to get enough penetration  :)

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
May I be so bold? Congrats buddy!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michael Arnette:
May I be so bold? Congrats buddy!
True dat!!
   :clapper:

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2015, 06:27:00 AM »
Guess you have the answer now,congrats on your bull. Great shot placement.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
:clapper:  I think 47# was enough after all   :goldtooth:   Again, CONGRATS!!!!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
Well he killed the elk a day before I predicted (took him two days instead of three) and it ran 15 yards less than I predicted (60 yards instead of 75 yards).

I guess I better start giving this guy more credit!      :goldtooth:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
Im late to the party but I will post anyway. First congrats on the Fine bull. Second any of your setups are will Do just fine. 47# is plenty, 400 grain arrow will do just fine. You mentioned you would pick one arrow over the other because it is heavier. They are only 40 grains difference. You arent going to see any difference in penetration between the two. Ive actually never weighed my arrows, Im sure most will say my arrows are too light. I will tell you this they work just fine. Ive shot thousands of arrows with no bow damage. Tune your arrows to fly true with a sharp BH I feel is the key to good penetration.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
I see some people are chewing on some shoe leather now. Congrats on a fine animal  :thumbsup:
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
Thanks gang! I had confidence in my shooting and knew that if given a shot opportunity I could put it where needed.
I thank God for the blessing.

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©