3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: skunk  (Read 1361 times)

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
skunk
« on: October 11, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
Do blunts work there magic on polecats?

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: skunk
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
They might, but I don't think I'd want to be a part of that experiment!    :bigsmyl:
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
I'd be hesitant.  I think the skunk would have a good chance to cast a spell of his own....
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
have to hit them in the head for it to work right..

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
trust me...hit'em in the head is no different than hit'em anywhere else. I have a good bit of experience with these critters and somehow (instant death or not) they always leave you something to remember them by.

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
I saw a picture in an old TBM of a kid holding a dead skunk.  ONLY thing I could think was WHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
Never put an arrow to one before, but lots of bullets and syringes.  My advice would be a sharp point passing thru the lungs.  Head shots will cause them to convulse involuntarilly more times than not.  A "sting" thru the chest allows them to maintain control of their functions, and then bleed out peacefully.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
I would make sure it was a long shot. Caught one in a conibear trap once, it juiced up the whole area. Most recently, my dog got it in the face 2 nights ago. I'm again reminded of how potent that stuff is. I let you do the shooting.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
I think the best arrow for a skunk is a borrowed one. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
Leave the skunks to the Great Horned Owls that's my 2 cents.

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
skunks are really not that bad. shoot them in the head or chest they will spray. The best way to dispatch one is with a syringe and some acetone. They are dead before the needle is removed!

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
I shot one when I lived in georgia. Shot him from above because he wouldn't leave at dark.  I tried yelling at him but he wouldn't leave.  He was too busy eating persimmons.  So I stuck him between the shoulders.  Man are they tough!!!  He wouldn't die.  I climbed down the opposite side of the tree with my climber.  He was spinning around the arrow because he was pinned.  I didn't want to waste any more arrows so I got a log and hit him in the head.  Mistake!  That just pissed him off and he tried to spin around and gas me.  I had to run off a ways.  Then I got to thinking " Hell I got a twenty guage in the truck!" So I got it and drilled him.  Thats when the stink came.  

So in other words if want to shoot one I'd use a broadhead and carry back up.  But then again I just leave them alone now days.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
Hey pintail,  How do you get close enough with that syringe?
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
try moth balls, that got them out from under the house..haven't seen any in 3weeks now...Had some rain so I'll put out more..

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
i saw this one teen take one with his 45lb bow on tbm mag.....

all i asked was.....why......why would u want to take somthin that stinks.......
whyyyyy!?!?

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 02:43:00 AM »
you would have to be brave to get up there and stick him with a syringe .   :bigsmyl:
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 06:39:00 AM »
When i was a kid, some of my friends and I use to trap together, we caught a lot of skunks in those days. One I remember in particular was dispatched with an old recurve and a homemade blunt, only after several misses and poor hits was the beast Finally dead. This whole fiasco took place in a abandoned chicken coop kind of tight quarters   :scared:  We stashed the skunk and went on to school, were we all were told to go home, I cant imagine why   :knothead:  The lesson is leave those skunks alone   :biglaugh:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
My uncle had a skunk pelt when I was young.  Beautiful, and hardly smelled.  He also found a way to remove the sac for cover scent (I should email him and ask him how).

Just make sure you're upwind when you shoot... and that you don't mind kissing an arrow good-bye.
Bow:
62" Bob Lee TD Hunter Recurve: 51# @ 28", Braceheight: 7 3/4"

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
trust me when I say...do not shoot a skunk in the head!!!!The shock to the central nervous system will cause a spray 99% of the time. A shot to the lungs is the only choice other than a syringe with acetone or "nightynite". I am a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator and have dealt with hundreds of em.    I wouldnt put much faith in mothballs either. To prove a point to a lady once I put some in a livetrap with my bait and caught him the first nite, so much for mothballs repelling them.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
I might add their is fair money in skunk essence. Just use a syringe to remove it(from a dead one of course) from the glands located on either side of the anus. Last I checked it was about $15/oz

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©