3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rimfire to Recurve for Squirrel  (Read 827 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Rimfire to Recurve for Squirrel
« on: August 11, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
I love my rimfires for squirrels. I cut my teeth on this type of hunting in my early teens. Such hunts remind me of my Dad who started me hunting. I use .22, .17 and even PCN air rifle to kill them.

However, I don't squirrel hunt much anymore because no one in the house likes to eat them but me and it is too easy to go out and kill a couple and head home.

I've often thought of hunting them with my recurve.  I figure I'd squeeze a lot more action out of the hunt without filling the bag.

Of course I've killed a few from deer stands but I usually don't shoot them when deer hunting for fear I'll spook a deer that I haven't yet seen.

I have a lot of expendable arrows I can hunt them with but I don't like the idea of losing pricey broad heads. I know there are threads on this site about home made squirrel points.

Anyone truly love rimfire hunting squirrels that made the switch to hunting them with curves or LB?  How did it go?

Our season opens Saturday and I have some favorite shagbark hickories behind an old barn that greys and fox squirrels will be cutting in.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rimfire to Recurve for Squirrel
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
Yep I did and do. Lol be prepared for lots of misses! The hickories are already starting to fall here. I spent my morning sun slinging my arrows skyward into the tops of a big old hickory. Things get more productive once they start to hit the ground.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
I did.  Squirrel hunting is my favorite game to hunt for.  Trad bows make it a little more difficult but it's pretty fun.  I've actually built and tuned my arrows around using a 125gr head because I can get Judos and RFA Talons in that weight and those are my favorite small game heads.  Carbons with 100gr inserts and 125 heads make it easy to find a broadhead that shoots well and lets me have the same setup for small game and big game.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
Ive thought about just squirrel hunting this year with a longbow.
Those TALONS and G5 SGH's look mean.

I grew up just hunting small game.
Didnt even think about deer.
When I was 20 we started hunting deer.
Havent hunted anything else seriously since.(35 years ago)
Not sure why, they are much easier getting out of the woods.
Slickhead

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
I like chasing them with the longbow and woodies.  Usually as nutters.  That way I can shoot up in the trees without fear of sticking them in the tree or hurting someone 100 yards away.

Sometimes the skwerls like running and won't climb well.  Chase them while acting like a crazy person (sounding like one) and they then run up a tree and look down at you wondering what the heck is wrong with you. Done it too many times to be a fluke.

Course, if you are not alone, warn your buddies.     :bigsmyl:  
ChuckC

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
Yep...be prepared to miss a lot. Once they are on to you they jump the string as soon as you release lol...have fun with it

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
I love to hunt them with the recurve. Last year I took about 30 shots and got two. Loads of fun while scouting for deer.

Have fun.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
I keep all my spent/bent BH's and use them for squirrels as well as varmints. Of course I straighten them the best I can but would not use them for anything else.
I have also JB welded bleeder blades onto field points for use as BH's on squirrels. They really work quite well.
Never wait too long!

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
I've never tried hunting them this time of year. However, I have taken several when the leaves are off  and they are on the ground. Shooting them out of trees this time of year would certainly be a challenge. And FUN I suspect.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »
I use a blunt and 3 flu flu Fletcher's, 4 inches. Lol makes your arrows much easier to find. I am working out a system of installing "disposable" bleeders in a blunt so that when they hit a tree the bleeder stays in and the arrow falls away. I have tried a few methods and failed but, if this new one works I will post it.

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 01:02:00 AM »
Pointer is right if they know your are there, they are ninja like when dodgin the arrow. I love to hunt them with my bows. It's definitely not easy. I usually shoot them when they are on the ground using broadheads. I've seen them get up and run away too many times after being hit squarely with a blunt or judo. They are tough.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 07:13:00 AM »
IMO, best practiced for all types of bowhunting.
Plus, I like shooting arrows and squirrels will do that,''a lot''

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 07:49:00 AM »
Squirrels are much fun.  I hate shooting up in the air at them so usually I will not hunt them until the leaves are off the trees.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
If you can stalk and kill a squirrel deer are no problem.  They are tough customers but great fun!  I occasionally even kill a few deer while out squirrel hunting!
   :biglaugh:

I have found they dodge flu flus too easily....I use regular arrows.  My blunts usually have a nail or piece of banding steel in them or I just use the broadhead if I can get to my arrow after the shot.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
Amen Greg, that's how to do it!   :thumbsup:  

My goal every season is a squirrel or more before my deer!

Love your Hill stuff, too!

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Squirrel season is here, I love to hunt them just for the practice alone,no deer or turkey last year but I did get a couple Squirrels which keept my confidence up.I only use broadheads now, have seen them get up and run off  many times with blunts and judos, some of the toughest creatures in the woods. Boil them for half hour, then grill with salt pepper and lots of butter.

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
ChuckC that was you   :scared:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
Years ago it mighta been.  Haven't hunted Illinois in many moons now.

ChuckC

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Squirrel bow hunting is a lot of fun especially with a dog.  My favorite point is a field point made for wood arrows.  It is blunt enough to not stick too deeply in tree limbs but still sharp enough to stay in the squirrel.  There is nothing more disappointing than making a good shot with a blunt and having the arrow come out and the squirrel getting away wounded. Of course, with a marginal shot, you may have to hit him again.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
two4hooking-yep I prefer regular arrows as well but, in the early season when they are way up in a bid old hickory, and there is a lot of green on the ground those three big fletching have helped me find many a lost arrow. lol heck I know when they are that high I will probably never hit one but, it is still great fun. once they hit the ground I start carrying regular fletched arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©