3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quartering Away vs. Broadside  (Read 2620 times)

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
Quartering Away vs. Broadside
« on: October 11, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
I read an interesting article a few months ago regarding the "quartering away" shot.  Just wondering, would you prefer a quartering away shot or a perfectly broadside shot? and why? This only pertains to deer, not elk or moose.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quartering Away vs. Broadside
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
From my own experience, broadside. I always get both longs with a broadside shot. It seems with  the quartering shot I only get both lungs around 1/2 of the time.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
I'll take broadside everytime. I like to get a complete passthru both lungs and out the other side. This makes for a much better blood trail. With the quartering away shot, the opposite leg/shoulder often prevent complete penetration. The only advantage to me of the quartering away shot is that it may be easier to draw because the deer is looking away.

Mark
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
Broadside, but quartering away is very good as ya punch the diaphragm and that causes the lungs to not work to good and ya can still get both lungs abd liver and even heart. I would not hesitate on either one. Shawn
Shawn

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Quartering away you do have a slight advantage  as the deer is looking in the opposite direction versus broadside. However I would take broadside over a quartering away shot anytime.Quartering away you have to remember to aim for the front leg on the opposite side.Broadside I try to hit "the crease".

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
Quartering away seems to expose more area and less none vital area.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
Rico is right on! many more animals are lost on quartering away than broadside. Too much margin for error.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
I'll take the broadside shot every time, much better chance of getting the all-important passthrough. Two holes bleed better than one.
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
I'll say quartering away for two reasons.  I have shot several deer I thought were perfectly broadside only to find that they were quartering ever-so-slightly towards.  Exit wound in the guts makes for hard trailing.  If they're quartering away, I know they're not quartering to.  And my second reason is that a quartering away shot takes the shoulder blade out play.  I hunt 99% of the time from a treestand, and when they're good and close like I like 'em, that shoulder blade is mighty close to where I'm looking.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Landshark160:
I'll say quartering away for two reasons.  I have shot several deer I thought were perfectly broadside only to find that they were quartering ever-so-slightly towards.  Exit wound in the guts makes for hard trailing.  If they're quartering away, I know they're not quartering to.  And my second reason is that a quartering away shot takes the shoulder blade out play.  I hunt 99% of the time from a treestand, and when they're good and close like I like 'em, that shoulder blade is mighty close to where I'm looking.
I'm right there with ya.....quartering away
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
Quartering away all day! As shawn mentioned you will take out the diaphragm which is a sure kill in and of itself plus you are more apt to damage several other organs as well. The only down side is you are more apt to cut the gut by doing so.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
I'll take broadside.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
I take what they give me. Although, if I had to choose, quatering away makes the green light in my head turn on. IMO it gives you a better chance of hitting more than one vital organ. Plus the added factor of the deer not seeing you is a big benefit.
Bret M. FullER

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Depends on how steep you mean by quartering away.  Either is great, will not pass up one waiting for the other unless it is a steep quartering shot.

Biggie, I think Rico was saying he likes the quartering shot.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
In most cases either one is a shooter..
For quartering it really depends on which way the deer is facing. Being lefty I would hesitate on a quatering away if the deer is facing the left unless it was a steap quatering.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
My preference is broadside for a variety of reasons.  Most notable is that the target area is maximized.  I have been succesful with quartering away shots in the past, but I have also had some disapointments.  For my money, the broadside shot is the highest percentage shot in bowhunting...everything else is a reduced probability game.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 01:22:00 AM »
I prefer quartering away for a number of reasons.
The deer is usualy looking away.
I always get the liver,at lest one lung and quite often the heart as well.
When you take both the liver and lungs, the animal usualy goes less distance after the shot,get all three an they just about keel over on the spot.

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 06:56:00 AM »
I would say quarting away every time. From my experience it is a higher percentage shot than broad side.

Reason: For a quick kill with lots of blood (except spine)you need to hit: spine, major artery(along back bone into back legs), liver, or heart/LOWER FRONT long. And as you know all these targets are small except heart/LOWER FRONT long area. This area is most open on a quarting away shot. On a broad side shot half of this area is covered up by the front sholder. To many times on a broad side shot you tend to hit back on the lungs and/or get one lung (from a treestand). Also on a "broadside" shot they sometimes tend to be slightly quarting tword and you get back even further on exit. Yes, it is true that if you hit the far side leg on a quarting away shot that most likely you will not get a passthrough. However, you will not need a passthrough because the deer will be laying in sight of where you shot it.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 07:09:00 AM »
I've killed more deer with a broadside shot. better chance of getting a double lung & Heart...

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
Yes, Thanks SOS. Sorry if I wasn't clear. The only bad shot placement I dread is a gut shot animal,quartering away leaves less of this exposed with a good chance of the arrow going forward into the goodies.
   Quartering away is more likely to ensure a kill or a flesh wound that will heal competley.IMO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©