3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quartering Away vs. Broadside  (Read 2619 times)

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quartering Away vs. Broadside
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
IMO, both are high-percentage shots. I wouldn't pass up one to wait for the other to present itself.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
Quartering away by far-there was actually a study on this a while back (can't remember which magazine) that showed that the quartering away shot results in a much higher recovery rate. If I have a deer broadside-I will wait for the quartering away shot as it offers a much larger margin of error.

BD
BCD

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »
Well here goes my 2 cents worth, right or wrong.

I would prefer some degree of quartering away every time.  I hunt from elevated stands and the only time I would prefer a little less quartering shot is if the deer is fairly close in and the shot angle is steep.  If you study the vitals of a deer closely, and think about what an arrow would penetrate at different degrees of quartering angle, you will find that the quartering shot actually gives the widest margin for error.  It is very difficult to get only 1 lung with a quartering shot.  It is possible, but most likely you get both lungs because they are so close together on a deer (whole different ballgame on elk or moose or other big animals).  As Shawn mentioned, you are also more than likely going to take out the diaphragm which in itself can be a killing shot.  Also, just as the shoulder covers vitals on a quartering towards shot, it uncovers vitals quartering away.  Much of the vitals are actually between the shoulders.  On a deer that is quarterering at 45% you have about a 12" wide kill zone that guarantees the diaphragm, both lungs, and likely may include the liver or heart.  One other thing I've noticed on deer that I have killed quartering away (where the arrow penetrated behind the ribs) is that they all reacted more like a gutshot deer.  They jumped and then walked off slowly.  They either went down in sight or were wobbling badly when they went out of sight.  It sure looks good to me when they turn slightly away and get the shoulder out of the equation.  Anyway, thats my thoughts on it, but I would be tickled to death with a 12 yard broadside shot tommorrow (opening day in AL) as well.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
I like broadside although slightly quartering away is good. I like the broadside because you almost always get a complete pass through which leads to a good blood trail. If you shoot the quartering away shot properly you often times hit the offside shoulder and the arrow stays in the deer plugging the entry hole and leaving no exit hole. Even with a perfect killing shot the deer can cover plenty of ground before expiring and it makes the deer much harder to recover. Due to the way my hunting ground lays out my most effective hunt is the evening hunt. If I have a good blood trail I normally find the deer the same evening even if it gets dark before I can start tracking. With the minimal amount of sign that can result when an arrow lodges in the offside shoulder I have often had to wait until the next morning to make the recovery. The problem with that is it is a real crap shoot if coyotes will find the deer first. If I was shooting in the morning I would not worry as much about the arrow lodging in the offside shoulder. Bottom line both are very effective shots but the quartering away shot has made quick recoveries more difficult for me.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
I have taken  several whitetails and for my 2cents worth Quarting away is my favorite allmost allways die within eyesight and the broadside has to be so close to the leg that odds are if you hit the leg you might not penerate deep enough for a quick kill   :thumbsup:
Gord

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
For those that haven't studied anatomy. The diaphragm has to be intact for a mammal to breathe. The diaphragm of an animal quartering away is the largest kill zone that can be presented. It encompasses the complete chest cavity. Any hole in the diaphragm is a death sentence. When taking a broad side shot the diaphragm will appear as a verical line and a little back from where one should shoot.For this reason alone a quartering away shot would be the most logical one to take percentage wise......   I would be happy with either shot.We may not be spliting hairs but we are real close .  :)

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
Sorry to disagree with you Matt, but I have studied anatomy. I have also studied physiology. (I'm a Veterinarian) A hole in the diaphragm is not as lethal as a hole in the chest cavity.( I see pets with diaphragmatic hernia all the time)  When a hole is placed in the chest cavity you create a tension pneumothorax, the negative pressure in the chest is gone and the lungs collapse. When you puncture the diaphragm the first that happens is the internal organs and fat get sucked in by the negative pressure in the chest and plug up the hole.

The lethality of a quartering away shot in all likelyhood is not from a punctured diaphragm but from the multitude of organs encountered by such a shot ie: liver,lungs,heart, and the location of major blood supply in the area such as the aorta and vena cava.

That being said I'm with you that either shot is quite lethal.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
Both lungs are usually taken out on a close, broadside shot.  I'll take that one any day over any other.  I don't need any survey...I have my own experience that shows what works best.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
I think for this conversation to be meaningful you first have to define "Quartering away"
If you go by the clock, I would take a 10:00 O'clock over any other (I have a tendency to shoot left, this gives me a bit more room from the shoulder) Going right, I would prefer a 3:00 O'clock.. The 11:00 and 1:00 O'clock are quartering way to much for me to be comfortable, and will pass them everytime.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
I think I'll go huntin',if I get a chance at either,I'll write a full report!!  :)
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
Wile-E as a vet you should no if ya punch the diamphragm than most of the time ya get both. A hole in or into the chest cavity and the hole in the diaphragm. I like totally broadside from the ground, but slightly quartering from a bove is the best. Both shots are very lethal. Shawn
Shawn

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
George-you can ignore the research all you want- the experience of one person alone usually doesn't tell the whole story. The bottom line is that quartering away gives a much larger target, but obviously either will kill quickly if the arrow is placed properly.
BD

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
I prefer broadside vs quartering.

Why: Best chance for a pass thru, better blood trails(my experiences anyway) and you still get a very large target with some room for error.

An arrow through the "pocket" gets some of the arteries and possibly a portion of the heart, and the forward lobes of the lungs and bronchial tubes. Bloodflow to the ground is maximum, and the deer rarely make it very far.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Either shot is lethal.  
The major problem I have seen, and it is a problem,  it that many do not know the actual anatomy of the critters that they hunt.  

Oh...they kinda know....but not all that well.   We use a simple test in every one of our bow hunter Ed classes and many of our regular hunter ed classes.  I can't talk for  the rest of the U.S. or the rest of the world, but in this area, I know....been there...tested that.  I have no reason to think that we are any different.

People do NOT know what is in there and the places that they need to aim to hit.
ChuckC

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
Aren't the majority of your students kids with no archery hunting experince? I believe the vast majority posting on here know were to place an arrow. Which of the 2 give you the better odds?

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
BD....that's true; however, that bigger target can be an invitation to be a little carless with the shot.  A bigger target doesn't always mean a better shot.  That crease behind the shoulder means both lungs, and it requires a steady shot.
Shooting at an angled target can give false hopes, and both lungs are hard to hit consistently.  

My experience means every bit as much as any other, because it shows what leads to a short trail, and what does not.   Take care and good hunting.

Offline Mitch Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
I just shot my first buck quartering away, he went maybe 30 yards and blood was absolutely spewing everywhere as he ran off, I could see blood spewing from my tree stand as he was running away.  So from that experience along with a quartering away shot on a doe that did about same as the buck, i would choose quartering.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
Rico...no.  Many are kids, many are adults.  I am speaking of the adults here.   I also believe that many here are learning as well.  Of course....most people believe that they know everything because they read it in a book...(me included).   You can kill a deer a lot of ways.  What "gives better odds" depends on so many facets of interest that I don't think you can mathematically calculate it.  They both work, very well.
ChuckC

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
I misunderstood Rico post, sorry. The quartering away shot may be deadlier and I don't concede that, but who amoung you will claim to be able to make a perfect shot everytime which is what you need on a quartering shot. Two inches back and you're in the ham. A busted diaphragm  doesn't necessarily mean a found deer either. I've seen them go 200 yards with no blood cause most times the arrow doesn't come thru and the chances of getting one lung are much higher.

Something else too, if he's slightly angled away that's one thing, and some of your posts indicate that, but a full quartering shot is risky at best.

Rabbits don't count.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
I think it all depends on how much quartering away we're talking about. Anything up to about 30 degrees is what I prefer. 45 degrees if it's nice and close is good. When you start pushing 60 degrees things get too critical for my liking unless the deer's within spit ball range.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©