3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC Whitetails 2015  (Read 1769 times)

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC Whitetails 2015
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
Was going to post but I see y'all from NC. That's discriminatory. Had some awesome ideas but ain't gunna share. So there.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
Guess I need to read a little more carefully. Saw Whitetails in the thread topic but missed the NC. Better have more coffee before getting on this site.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
Grabbed my camera and took a walk around the mountain this morning.  I was following a power line and came over a crest to see a doe with a fawn down below me.  A turkey wandered in and the fawn got too curious. That tom puffed up and jumped up and down and got out of there. Really was great to watch.  Got a picture of a nice doe on my camera but the time stamp was 8:30 pm. Need to figure out where she is during the day time.

The acorns were starting to drop at around 3700 feet.  They aren't raining down yet but soon.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »
Sorry about the delayed response, missed the thread somehow. 3 weeks to go and im about to die over here. Tons of deer and stupid bears (God i hate bears) all over the cameras and my buddy and i have some real good deer coming in. Here are the only two i have pics on my phone of, but there are 6-8 apparent shooters coming in consistently some of which i havent even seen yet.

The acorns are hitting everywhere and its apparent that il be spending alot of time in my climber this year. Cant wait!

Is it the 12th yet!?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
Was down at the farm in NC this weekend (Randolph County). Stands are all set for opening morning. Lots of deer sign, should be a good year.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 11:39:00 PM »
My neck of the woods  ;)

Let me know if you need help dragging one  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 06:15:00 AM »
Bud, we're from Liberty.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »
Some goooood hunting land over there. My brother-in-law's friend's family (Cheek) owns a large chunk just outside of town on 49 where the long curve is going towards Burlington. The mast crop on my side of the county is good. Beechnut trees are full. Muscadines are doing well and oaks have good meat hanging in the form of acorns. So much to eat means they'll be anywhere and everywhere.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 06:49:00 AM »
Zoo City = Asheboro

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
I know where you're talking about.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
My neighbor took me to a subdivision he does landscaping and road maintenance for.  He showed me some land I can hunt and I couldnt be more grateful.  He rifle hunts so I have the run of the place through bow season.  There's a little finger coming off the top of the mountain with a christmas tree farm next to it.  This place is just beat down with trails.  I have never seen trails that were so well traveled.  The ground is compacted and hard on the trails so I think generations of deer have followed the same trails.  Bear tracks in the area too.

Anyone else have luck around the christmas tree fields?  I thought Dalton had a picture of a turkey or two he got around one.  I have a couple other areas with these fields that I'm looking to scout based on what I have seen now.
Also has anyone hunted around bald mountains?  I would think that deer would like to feed in them at night.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
Ashe county produces more Christmas trees than any other place in the country, we are covered up in them. Deer treat them just like fields and you will find scrapes and what nots all along the edges with plenty of sign in them. One thing that sucks about trees is they are harvested usually right in the middle of the rut, so the hordes of workers in them from daylight to dark kind of suck.

I have a lot of spots that i got just to annihilate the deer, i gladly oblige.

I dont really like hunting right on them, always in deer but most of them time at a good distance, if rather hunt the funnels the deer use on the way to them.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
The deer I have seen so far have been really healthy.  I see the same herd at work on a regular basis and they are fatter than I ever remember.  Must have been that stellar mast crop last year.  Have noticed a good fawn population this year too.
Heres to a good year!

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
Got some bucks losing velvet, wont be long now! Cold shots every morning and dreaming every night! Is it saturday yet!?!

------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
I saw three bucks, two days in a row. All were in full velvet with no signs of rubbing yet.

Acorns are dropping regularly now in my area. A little early....

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
Real acorns are just starting to drop now and then up high. Deer are very healthy and staying  on the edges because they've got plenty to eat. I'm guessing I'll be hunting lower elevations along the rivers after the first week. Turkey, on the other hand, are suddenly everywhere and the poults look healthy , and the bears....dont get me started. I took my trash down to the bottom of the hill this morning at 7:45, shot my bow nearby for 15 minutes, went in and by the time I took a shower my trash roll-out and my neighbors were turned over and 5 bags of trash were out in the woods ...it was gang activity and I think I know that gang: 4 of them are about knee high at the shoulder .
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
Our rain in Randolph has been good all year. I suspect that has something to do with the heavy acorn crop and the fact that healthy, fully developed acorns are falling early. Beechnuts as well. Beechnuts are not falling yet.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
Oooooooo...... The season is almost here!
And several stands that overlook white oaks -- all on trails that are very active.
   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
I am getting out of work early to the woods on the 12th and then I am taking three days off the next week.  I am not ready yet but I have a feeling I will find a way to be ready by the 12th!

I am still looking for the right spot.  Have one good area but haven't been able to find the right spot or the right trail yet.  Half a million acres of public land makes it hard to narrow down that one spot within 20 yards of a trail but I am thankful for all the beautiful country out here.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Beechnut trees are now showing splitting hulls here, they'll be dropping within two weeks, probably. Fox grapes are dropping, and have been.

This is Randolph area.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©