3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cost/benefit with longbows  (Read 957 times)

Offline Plain Noel

• Trad Bowhunter
Cost/benefit with longbows
« on: August 12, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
Hey folks. New member, new archer. Middle-aged fat man who woke up a few months ago with a need to kill a mountain lion with a longbow. No idea where that came from, but I'm pursuing it.

Did a bunch of reading (including this forum) and then bought a Samick SLB in their lightest draw weight (30 pounds) and appropriate arrows and gear. Been shooting 50 arrows a day; slowly getting things figured out.

In another few months I expect to be ready for a hunting weight bow. I figure 50@28 should be about right. I've been looking at every bow I can find - everything from Howard Hill to Black Widow - and still have a lot of deciding to do. But I'm starting to wonder what extra money accomplishes, with longbows. I mean, I'm reasonably happy with the Samick - there's a bit of handshock but not enough to bother me - and have given real thought to just buying another one at 50# draw weight. But I'd also be perfectly happy to spend the $600 - $700 or so that seems to be pretty average for custom bows, or even the $1000+ that folks like Black Widow ask, as long as the money buys something demonstrably better.

Short version: Are expensive bows worth it in any objective way? Or are you paying mostly for name recognition and eyewash? If I buy a Black Widow instead of a Bear Montana, will I be shooting a faster, more accurate, more deadly arrow, or will I just have a really expensive stick to show off at the range?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Noel

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cost/benefit with longbows
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
My first trad bow as an adult was a Samick Sage.  I told myself I was going to keep that bow until I was able to out shoot the bow's capabilities.  I had it 5 years.  Long story short, if you can swing the cost of a high end custom, go for it.  If not, you'll be just fine with another Samick.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
The only way you will be able to tell which is the best for you will be to get out there to different trad venues (mostly 3D shoots) and shoot some different bows to decide which one you like! Whatever opinion anybody gives you about how good a particular bow is (or is not) is subjective, and based on the persons own judgements of that particular bow.

Bisch

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
Most bowyers have a price range for identical models based on what they put into any one variation in terms of time and materials.  That "eye wash" can be pretty expensive in terms of materials for the bowyer.

So, if you want performance alone, purchase a bow made with less expensive and usually domestic woods and less expensive black or brown glass.  For the most part it will perform right along with it's exotic brother.

check out Howard Hill Archery  http://howardhillarchery.com/   There you will find reasonably priced long bows along with their more  dressed up offerings.  If you don't mind spending the money, jump in to the more elaborate creations.  They are all good bows.

I would start with the sponsor list at the top of the page.  You will find there some of the best bowyers in the business.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Tejasmick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
If you are after big cats, don't feel you need 50# to get the job done.  Cats are fairly soft creatures.  40# will get complete pass through, if you do your part.  

I have yet to arrow one myself, but have shared a cougar steak with a few fellows whom have.  They are usually in the field with their elk bows, but all relate 'over kill' with that setup.  

Shoot well with your setup and don't feel you need to over reach, especially if it causes any doubt over accuracy.  Not a good trade when it is not necessary.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 11:54:00 PM »
Noel, you'll get good advice on bows which I am not qualified to give.
I do want to point out that if you are in California as your profile indicates, mt. lion sport hunting is an absolute no-no in the state. If you're planning to hunt them out of state you won't be able to bring any part of the animal back home legally.

I don't agree with these particular game laws but we do need to be aware of them and be responsible hunters who do not end up in the newspapers.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Plain Noel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 11:57:00 PM »
Good point, Mr. Taylor. I plan on hunting it (and eating it) in Arizona.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
Good to go.
Apologies if I sounded preachy.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Plain Noel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 12:03:00 AM »
Not at all. Two months in, I can barely find my backside with a mirror on a stick. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »
Remember when you first drank a beer?  All beer kinda tasted the same?  Over time you began to develop the ability to distinguish and appreciate different beers?
Bows are the same.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 01:42:00 AM »
Plain,

If you're in N. Cal near Lake County. Give me a holler via PM and you can come over and shoot a bunch of options to help make up your mind what direction you want to go.

Welcome to the Addiction!

Mike
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline Plain Noel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 02:13:00 AM »
Appreciate that. I'm "deep south" in Orange County.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 04:08:00 AM »
One thing I'll mention is that 30# to 50# is a BIG jump… I'm thinking it would be a really good idea to at least try shooting something around 40, then maybe 45#'s, first.

Too heavy a bow will be sure fire way to set you back in your shooting.

And as for the original question: a higher price custom bow will not necessarily shoot any better than a production bow. Then there's all the custom made bows sold used, for a major discount compared to new. As you'll hear over and over here, the best bow for YOU will be the one that feels best, and shoots best, for YOU.

Brief story: I'm currently shooting an entry level production bow, circa 1972. Bottom limb is twisted. American company, but I noticed it was made in China. Grip felt a little awkward, so I did some simple modifications to it. I shoot it better than than I did a beautiful, perfect fitting custom which I was forced to sell. Don't get quite the same pleasure from shooting it… but the arrow goes where it's supposed to, and the bow is very, very, quiet.

Find a bow that you like, and be sure you can come to full draw comfortably,

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 05:55:00 AM »
A bit off the topic, but what does cat-meat taste like?
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Trond:
A bit off the topic, but what does cat-meat taste like?
I hear its like Pork only better.

To the original poster.  first of all Welcome.   :wavey:

I have shot many bows from old production Bows to high end custom..  I like some of the old production more than some high end custom bows.  I have a  couple custom bows I love. Its all about fit and feel for you and your preferences. The only way to know for sure what you like is to start shooting other bows.  

Perhaps you are near South Cox and Stalker archery?  Maybe you could try a few of his models?  

I have found many low end(price wise) (500-600) custom bows to be great performers.  The largest issue you may have is to get a bow before cat season. Some bowyers have a  year or more waiting list.  There are a few with only a several week list.

Also, Cat hunts are demanding. You called yourself Fat, so I recommend you can handle running up and down mountains before you splurge on a big hunt. If you cannot keep up, you will have spent a lot of money only to disappoint yourself.

Let us know how your hunt goes and take pictures.  Good luck.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
I'm a little surprised that nobody has said/asked it yet, so here goes.

What exactly is it that all of a sudden fuels your urge to kill a mountain lion with a stickbow?  Hunting video or TV show?  An outfitter's brochure?  Boredom?  If you haven't yet thought about that aspect, perhaps you should.
I don't mean to sound condescending and my apologies if these doubts are misplaced, but your quest is on the strange side for someone with no prior archery/bowhunting background.  And to be honest, it seems to take killing very casually.  

I think most here would agree, the killing part of bowhunting only makes sense after the learning and mindset part (know what you're doing, always respect the animal) has been accepted and experienced.  Sort of a 'learn it and earn it' mantra.  Deciding whether the bow you use should be a cheap import or expensive custom isn't really in the picture yet.  I hope you understand what I mean.

Perhaps you can explain a bit more about your circumstances.  I'm sure there will be many replies to assist you in finding the right path.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by TSP:
I'm a little surprised that nobody has said/asked it yet, so here goes.

What exactly is it that all of a sudden fuels your urge to kill a mountain lion with a stickbow?  Hunting video or TV show?  An outfitter's brochure?  Boredom?  If you haven't yet thought about that aspect, perhaps you should.
I don't mean to sound condescending and my apologies if these doubts are misplaced, but your quest is on the strange side for someone with no prior archery/bowhunting background.  And to be honest, it seems to take killing very casually.  

I think most here would agree, the killing part of bowhunting only makes sense after the learning and mindset part (know what you're doing, always respect the animal) has been accepted and experienced.  Sort of a 'learn it and earn it' mantra.  Deciding whether the bow you use should be a cheap import or expensive custom isn't really in the picture yet.  I hope you understand what I mean.

Perhaps you can explain a bit more about your circumstances.  I'm sure there will be many replies to assist you in finding the right path.
:thumbsup:
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by NBK:
Remember when you first drank a beer?  All beer kinda tasted the same?  Over time you began to develop the ability to distinguish and appreciate different beers?
Bows are the same.
That is an awesome description!

Bisch

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
Brief story: I'm currently shooting an entry level production bow, circa 1972. Bottom limb is twisted. American company, but I noticed it was made in China.
Who was exporting bows from China in 1972?
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by NBK:
Bows are the same.
That's about as good as I've ever heard anyone explain it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©