3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cost/benefit with longbows  (Read 955 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cost/benefit with longbows
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by TSP:
I'm a little surprised that nobody has said/asked it yet, so here goes.

What exactly is it that all of a sudden fuels your urge to kill a mountain lion with a stickbow?  Hunting video or TV show?  An outfitter's brochure?  Boredom?  If you haven't yet thought about that aspect, perhaps you should.
I don't mean to sound condescending and my apologies if these doubts are misplaced, but your quest is on the strange side for someone with no prior archery/bowhunting background.  And to be honest, it seems to take killing very casually.  

I think most here would agree, the killing part of bowhunting only makes sense after the learning and mindset part (know what you're doing, always respect the animal) has been accepted and experienced.  Sort of a 'learn it and earn it' mantra.  Deciding whether the bow you use should be a cheap import or expensive custom isn't really in the picture yet.  I hope you understand what I mean.

Perhaps you can explain a bit more about your circumstances.  I'm sure there will be many replies to assist you in finding the right path.
Oh good grief.  He just asked a question. He came here for help.

How's the view up there on that high horse?    :goldtooth:

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
Like I said Tx, killing an animal with a bow isn't an idea/urge that most folks just suddenly wake up with one morning.  I'm simply asking why, with no bowhunting experience at all, he wants to shoot a mountain lion with a bow...before getting into a discussion of what kind of bow to do it with.  In my mind the question is reasonable and I'd have no problem if anyone asked it of me under the same circumstances.

Relax, there's no lynchmob behind the bush, I'm just very curious about how his idea was borne.

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
Maybe the guy woke up one day and had a "Fight Club" moment and decided to turn over a new leaf. Hell of a way to start.

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 06:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by TSP:
I'm a little surprised that nobody has said/asked it yet, so here goes.

What exactly is it that all of a sudden fuels your urge to kill a mountain lion with a stickbow?  Hunting video or TV show?  An outfitter's brochure?  Boredom?  If you haven't yet thought about that aspect, perhaps you should.
I don't mean to sound condescending and my apologies if these doubts are misplaced, but your quest is on the strange side for someone with no prior archery/bowhunting background.  And to be honest, it seems to take killing very casually.  

I think most here would agree, the killing part of bowhunting only makes sense after the learning and mindset part (know what you're doing, always respect the animal) has been accepted and experienced.  Sort of a 'learn it and earn it' mantra.  Deciding whether the bow you use should be a cheap import or expensive custom isn't really in the picture yet.  I hope you understand what I mean.

Perhaps you can explain a bit more about your circumstances.  I'm sure there will be many replies to assist you in finding the right path.
Maybe he has been hunting his whole life? could be he has rifle hunted or used a compound.  Maybe since he is planning on hunting in AZ he will be behind hounds and wants to make it a bit more of a challenge.
I woke up one morning and realized that every time I dreamed about bow hunting it was a with a longbow even though I had not shot a long bow since I was 10.  so I gave away my compound and started over.
He is just asking for help respect him and give help not criticism, or judgement.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by NBK:
Remember when you first drank a beer?  All beer kinda tasted the same?  Over time you began to develop the ability to distinguish and appreciate different beers?
Bows are the same.
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

That is an excellent description...

here's a reasonably priced mountain lion bow for you called the "Big Foot Obsidian".

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
Mountain lion is some of the best eating there is. When I got mine a few years ago I invited some Bowhunting buddies and wives over for a cookout. The wives were picking every little scrap out. They loved it. My wife is not big on wild game but even she raved about how good it was.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Plain Noel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
I don't take offense to anything written so far.

Running up hills is my actual training program. I'm not in bad shape and get an hour or two of exercise a day. I just eat and drink to much, so I've got 30 pounds of gut to lose.

I'm not likely to be ready for bowhunting this season. Between learning to shoot and getting into shape, I plan on a long road.

Sorry if anyone got offended by my cavalier mention of "killing". I don't appreciate euphemisms like "harvesting" or "taking". Hunters kill animals. It's nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to sugarcoat.

And I've been hunting with handguns for decades. I've just decided that discharging a firearm in the wilderness is profane and I'm not going to do it anymore.

Thank you all for the replies so far.

Noel

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 01:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Plain Noel:
Sorry if anyone got offended by my cavalier mention of "killing". I don't appreciate euphemisms like "harvesting" or "taking". Hunters kill animals. It's nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to sugarcoat.
Killing is what we do.  I guess if you feed and raise deer like a farmer, it really should be called harvesting    :)

There are many good production bows and even bad ones that will easily put an arrow through a mountain lion or deer.  The better bows may offer a smoother draw, less handshock, more speed/efficiency, finer craftsmanship, etc.  Doesn't really make them any more lethal, just more pleasant to shoot and look at.  Just because a bow is expensive doesn't mean you'll get the whole wishlist.  You mentioned Black Widow, they don't get touted for their speed, which I found disappointing, but they are a tough, reliable bow.

We all have our favorites and there are a lot of options, don't hope you'll find a consensus or even a top ten list to narrow your search.  Shoot as many different bows as you can find locally and you'll start to figure out what you like.  Actually, just buy a Centaur or a Schafer Silvertip    :readit:   that should get suggestions flowing for you

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 03:49:00 AM »
Hunting mountain lions can be a real adventure and can be done a variety of ways.  You may have to save some of that beer money, but if you are planning on doing your lion hunting with hounds and horses, a packable quick assembly bow may be a desired feature. A bow like a Dick Robertson Wolfer would be an excellent choice for such a hunt.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 05:19:00 AM »
You probably don't know what you are missing if you shoot nothing but the Samick. Get out and shot some different bows. You can get good customs at 5-600 dollars. the grip will fit-it can be made for your draw length. Most bowyers can get within a couple of lbs. either way on your wanted draw weight. And first and foremost buy American.
High on Archery.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by pavan:
Hunting mountain lions can be a real adventure and can be done a variety of ways.  You may have to save some of that beer money, but if you are planning on doing your lion hunting with hounds and horses, a packable quick assembly bow may be a desired feature. A bow like a Dick Robertson Wolfer would be an excellent choice for such a hunt.
Excellent point. Riding a horse with a longbow can present problems.  I've done it, but it makes things much easier with a takedown bow.  Even when you dismount and take off on foot it can be put on your pack for the climb.  You'll have plenty of time to assemble it in the field.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
On, and I applaud your wish to hunt with a longbow.  If you've hunted with pistols in the past there is obviously something in you that enjoys the additional challenges of making things harder than the law requires.  Traditional bowhunting is a natural progression for you and I think you are going to love it.  Good luck on your quest!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
Lean pork is my opinion also.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
Short version: Are expensive bows worth it in any objective way? Or are you paying mostly for name recognition and eyewash? If I buy a Black Widow instead of a Bear Montana, will I be shooting a faster, more accurate, more deadly arrow, or will I just have a really expensive stick to show off at the range?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Noel [/QB][/QUOTE]

Both are right.  :)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
I question the " more accurate" portion of that statement.  

Faster, sure, maybe, but it is the shooter and the arrows, not the bow, that makes it accurate and deadly.  

A piece of stick can launch an accurate, deadly shaft.
ChuckC

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Shot a lot of expensive bows for years.  Wanted a back-up for Africa and got a cheap Samick Journey.  Found out I shot it better than my Brack or Blacktail.  In the end, I hunted with the Samick because my Brack never showed up in Africa.  The results were satisfactory.  I think the reason is in the grip, for what ever reasons.

Best solution is to shoot a few bows and find out what fits you best like a few others have said.  

I will say one thing about a cheap bow:  You won't mind beating the thing up out in the woods like you would an expensive bow.

Now, about beer.  Well, my taste buds aren't all that great, so I'm able to save money there!  How do you think I had the green to get my blacktail?

Good luck on your Quest.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
You definitely can get a production bow that will perform more than adequate for your purposes. There are also some good no-frills bowyers out there that are putting out handcrafted models in the $350-500 price range. I researched for about 6 months and went through the adds in magazines and read reviews on this forum. I was finally torn between a Bear Montana, an Omega, and the Bestfriend Sidekick. The Omega came with a lifetime warranty and a 30-day money back gaurantee so I went with it. I'm sure there are tons of bowyers out there making similar products but I have absolutely no buyers remorse.

Offline Floxter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
I just bought a 21st Century Edge. The base model cost me $300 + $30 shipping. It is the best shooting bow I've ever owned and flings an arrow faster than several longbows I have that are 15# heavier. For a bow that I'm gonna drag around in the woods it's all I want. Now if what you want is a bow that looks like fine furniture with inlays and fancy grained wood, you"re gonna have to rightly expect to pay for it.
Jack

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Shopping around and shooting as many bows as possible is the easiest way to determine what you like and what features are worth the cost. I am partial to long bows from Howard Hill Archery and from Northern Mist. There are many bowyers who make great Hill style bows, if that is what you like. Lots of people enjoy the R/D bows. I have some of them, too. Used bows may be advisable for your first bow (or bows?). You can get top of the line equipment at reduced cost. Careful, though, long bows are addictive. Here, Kitty, kitty, kitty...
Sam

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
My suggestion is to try to go to a 3d shoot and try some bows out first.  

Also the best deals on bows are gently USED bows through the classifieds.  Money buys performance sometimes but lots of money buys looks.  Since bows are a very personal hunting tool, I personally see value in both.  Pick something that's within your budget, that you shoot well, and that you like the looks of and you'll have a great time.  Grip geometry is likely to be the single biggest factor for if you can shoot a bow well.  After you find a grip that you just fall in love with, most other bows will not seem just right any more.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©