3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No Shelf Longbow  (Read 332 times)

Offline turdyptbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
No Shelf Longbow
« on: August 12, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
I'll be hunting with a bow this year that is "shoot off the knuckle" no shelf.  Who hunts with a bow like this and I'd like to see some kill pics if you have any! Need a little motivation!

Thanks!

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: No Shelf Longbow
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
I have a Hill no shelf longbow.
I ordered it that way so I can shoot it from both sides, Hench it's name Ambi....
    I have only used it for Beaver hunting so far, Sorry no pic's....
    To me shooting it is no diff from shooting one with a shelf.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
Didn't Ferret make a "floppy" rest or something like that for bare hands?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
Just be sure you wrap the fore end of your feathers with sinew, thread or something like that. Super glue works fine to hold it in place. You need to do that or you will end up with feather shards in your hand eventually.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
I have scars from feather piercings.  Kinda painful and needed to be pulled through to remove.

You should wrap or glue a piece of thin leather onto the grip so that it rests hanging over your index finger and nuckle.  Or you can wear some sort of protector on your hand.  No different than with a shelf as long as your arrow setup is tuned.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
TR has a off the hand glove you can buy. I use it when building and shooting in a new selfbow till I am ready to put a floppy rest or rawhide rest on my bows. I dont find shooting off the hand that difficult, I too have had a fletch or two through the knuckle of my right hand. Which is why the rest but this glove is pretty sweet and I have been considering going without shelf.

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
Didn't Howard make his shelf about too small to hold an arrow and then would use a piece of leather as a holder to keep the arrow on the shelf. No where near cut as deep as todays bows , but it did give you a location that did not change. I think he still tapered the belly side of the grip to almost center shot , to funnel the fletching past the shelf and also to have the arrow hit and bend where he wanted it to. He used no leather on the bow shelf also to hear if the shot was right. I would maybe have the bowyer try that, But who's to say what you want. You can try anything so long as that is your choice.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
Ed I use the small peice of leather like Howard did on my Hill naturals and glass bows it works great.

On my primitive bows with no shelf I used to get cuts with right wing feathers, I'm right handed. By chance I tried some left handed fletched arrows and I stopped cutting my knuckles    :dunno:  

Maybe I'm just lucky but I still use extra glue on the front of the fletch or sinew on the primitive arrows.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
I have a couple of bows that I shoot off the knuckles, but I don't hunt with them. I would like to, though. If I could afford it, I would like to have HHA build an all-wood bow without a shelf. I think it would be neat. When shooting off the bare hand, it is important to check the condition of the fletching to prevent cuts and scratches.
Sam

Offline BigArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 02:28:00 AM »
My one and only elk so far was taken with a 93# osage bow shot off of the hand with no rest.  The elk seemed to think it worked pretty good.  Make sure your nock is, if anything, a touch high to avoid those bloody fletching.

BigArcher

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
A couple of years ago I took a doe shooting off the knuckle.  I shot pretty well that way.  I had a sinew string so I didn't have a nocking point because I was afraid it would wear the string out if I nocked the same place all the time.

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
I have a black locust long bow. While building it, when I knew I was getting close to done, I wanted to shoot a few to see how it felt.
On my past bows I always glued a little shelf on.I hadn't gotton that far on this bow.
 I cut a strip of leather about 1/2" wide by about 4ft long. I tapered both ends down.I started wrapping where I thought the arrow should be.I went around 3 times in the same spot to build up a small arrow rest and then wrapped the rest of the handle. I put a tiny little stitch at the end with dental floss ( barely visable).

It only made about a 1/8" wide arrow rest. That was plenty to locate the arrow the same every time.

It was a quick fix, but I liked it so much I've never taken it off. When I finished the bow I did cut the shelf in about 1/8" deeper tapered toward the belly. the back looks un touched. When people see it they say "your shooting off your hand" But I'm not at all. No pics at this time.
Black locust selfwood longbow
52#@28"
Great Plains Longbow 55#@28"

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
I find that if the arrow is the right spine for the bow and the nock point is right I don't have any fletching contact issues with the hand on no shelf bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©