3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Season of Optimism! The story continues...  (Read 510 times)

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A Season of Optimism! The story continues...
« on: August 13, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
This is something I've wanted to do for a few years, and started a little while back. Hopefully by putting it on here there will be plenty of reasons to keep it going...

A Season of Optimism
For a Non-Resident, I have been very lucky hunting in Montana. There has been a piece of private land which, myself and a few friends have been able to hunt, almost exclusively for the last nine years.  

One stand, the "Willow" has provided many days of great shot opportunity, some valuable lessons, beautiful sun rises and sets, and some great naps in the stand!  Though I always looked forward to the time spent in the Willow stand, in all honesty, it was getting to the point of being somewhat boring. This was a stand that was put in by a friend, and it is one of those places that if you sit there, opportunity will happen.  The successes out of that standwere somewhat dimmed by the lack of effort I had put into the stand prior to hunting out of it.  

Last year, we got the news that the owner, was going to put in a pivot line, and to pay for this he was going to lease the property out, I won't go into my thoughts and feelings on leasing, but for the most part, it was above what we were willing to pay, had we chosen to do so.  Fortunately, there is a big parcel of public land next to the private land we had been hunting, it was ground that we had looked at, scouted, and on occasion set a few stands on.  This year faced with the prospect of only having that to hunt, we got serious about it. Crossing the river that runs through it, we have gotten a couple of stands in place, with the possibility of a few more. This will be the first year Rich, and I have scouted a new area, put stands on it, without having the temptation, comfort, and allure of the private land beckoning us!  The sites chosen, are in some great areas, that have greater possibility, especially later during the rut!
The thoughts of new adventures, in a new, but somewhat familiar place is panning out to make this a season of optimism!

More.......
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Season of Optimism! The story continues...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
That is hands down the most positive thread I have ever read of someone losing their hunting grounds. Nice work and good luck
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
Tim....great story I also hunted the same private land for 20+ years was very spoil it was all farm land and the deer were very predicable. I hunted basically the same stand locations for years. Two years ago they clear cut it and I joined a lease with some friends all wooded very different challenge. First year I worked my can off to get one deer. Last year 2. On the old land at least 5 a year every year. I am not sorry this has been fun...good luck.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
glad its Montana.. those stands would be gone when you went to hunt, if it were here.  I hope that works out as well as it sounds !! good outlook on your part ..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
Tim, I commend you for your attitude.   :thumbsup:  

At one point, I had so many places to hunt here around home, that I had a hard time deciding where I was going to hunt.

At the present, I'm down to two, and my favorite, one that I've hunted for 30 years, is for sale. I'll probably be able to hunt it this year, but past experience tells me that once it changes hands, I'm more than likely out.

It happened a few years ago in another place near here, that my Dad and I hunted for many years before he died. I have so many good memories of time spent in those woods hunting with him, and now I can't even walk the woods during the closed season.

I choose to deal with it the same as you, by making the best of what I have.

Bob

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
I think I'll continue on this thread.

For many years I put in a lot of time, gas money and miles scouting a particular area for big bulls.  Every year I put in there, but came up empty.  So, I always ended up hunting a general piece of the national forest.  That spot treated my and my buddy very good, killing elk year after year, usually with both of us getting a bull and cow in the same year...and often enough we would say, geeze Id be happy with that bull up on "the peak".

Then, I'd take whoever I knew up to the mountain to hunt my favorite areas that I couldn't draw, but they could.  Year after year, Id watch people take great bulls, miss them or blow them out and have the experience calling in many more for them.  Then Id look forward to next year and hope I drew this time.

This year we got wind of a knew area being labeled type 9, meaning bow only tag was available.  Its an area I have never hunted, or even scouted, as it was always limited draw and worse odds then area's I knew I could score an awesome experience...though I had always had a desire to see it.

This new opportunity would be uncharted territory for us, but in an area that We knew held good bulls.  Its on the northface of the range and known for its water, dense forests, and lots of grass.  it ranges from 12000 ft plus to the sage brush and aspen.  I love scouting new territory and hunting new places.  being tired of getting our hopes up to be let down, and just to change it up, we decided to put in for this new spot.

Well...we drew! So, its been 2 and a half months of camping, scouting, planning, etc etc.  All leading up to September first.  Everything is pointing to a fantastic year, full of optimism.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
Great thread by the way, i loved reading it.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
Good luck, Tim!

Bisch

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »
Can't wait to hear the rest of this.  I suppose it'll be in December?

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »
A little optimism never hurt anyone..good on ya Tim

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Opening Weekend!
With much anticipation, and darkness fading fast, my friend, Rich and I waded into the fast flowing waters of the Madison River. There was a small sense of urgency in the air, as daylight was quickly making it way to the valley floor. Crossing the river in daylight, shorts, sandals, and treestands, is completely different than trying to cross in the dim morning light, with bows an hunting gear in hand, and pack. After some thwarted attempts to cross in a more direct line, we finally made it over to solid ground and changed from waders to hunting boots, and headed into our stands.
As the sun's rays started to warm the morning air, the deer started to show, though several passed through the opening where I was hunting, none came within the close range I prefer when hunting with selfbows. It was great though to see the number of deer that used the area.
As the deer finished their way through the area, I went to where Rich was, and was happy to hear the he had also had several deer pass through the area of his stand.  
Later that day, after several failed attempts to take a midday nap, I popped up as spontaneous as possible, and told Rich, we needed to go hang another stand, and that I was planning to hunt it that evening!  Being up for most adventures, Rich said okay. The tree that I really wanted to hang it in turned out to be too big, but on the other side of the trail was another one, a three pronged, tightly together cottonwood. Not only were the trunks very close together, but the amount dead tiny growth coming out of the trunks was thick, this looked like the making of some very evasive, noticeable surgery to the tree and the area. About then I began to doubt my grand scheme. We got the stand placed, had just enough time to get back to camp, lite lunch/dinner, cleaned up, changed and then back. Rich really wanted to be in the stands early, to let things settle, before the deer started through.
The day had been typical for that part of Montana, a bit of rain, and wind, lots of wind, that evening in the stand, I noticed a break in the grey sky, and coming from the west, was blue sky, I knew with that, the wind would die and be a nice breeze. Shortly after 7, the deer started to appear from their bedding areas and we're making way to the river and across to the agriculture. The set, a doe and a fawn, crossed the little channel behind me a took a turn north, out of my sight, shortly after that another doe and larger fawn crossed the channel, and stayed the course on the trail that went past my stand. It's, almost funny at the level it happens at, but I still get very excited when an opportunity is making its way towards me. Before walking into the shooting lane, there is a clump of Birch trees, as she stepped behind them, I came to the ready, after her head cleared I came to draw, and focused on the spot I wanted the arrow to pass through. From there, the next visual that my mind can account for was seeing the deer run off and those big yellow fletchings going with her. I knew the hit was good, but at a distance of not even 4 yards, that arrow should have passed through. The good thing, was there was no sound of her hitting the water!  The stand Rich happened to be sitting in, is only 20 yards away, he got to see the whole thing. After, waiting a few minutes, to start the recovery, we started on the blood trail. The broken end of the business part of the arrow, was found quickly, after crawling through a wall of willows the other end of the shaft was found and a few yards from that lay the deer. The Purple Heart, footed shaft, with an Abowyer Wapti head had passed through both scapulas, resulting in a quick clean kill.

On the blood trail...

The Deer...

Crossing the river at night...

We hunted that same area the rest of the weekend, with several deer making their presence, but with no good shot opportunities....
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
I enjoyed your story Tim, thank you. Congrats on a beautiful doe.   :thumbsup:

Bob

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
That's the way to kick off the fall Tim!!
Congrats!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
looks like a fine doe for the table!!CONGRATS
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
Superbly done and told, Tim. Thanks for showing us that adversity is often an opportunity to improve. Next deer up...!

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
I belong to a club here in NJ and we have four small leases, largest being about 200 acres. Haven't lost any yet but am getting slightly bored hunting the same areas and stands every year. Plan on scouting and putting a stand on some nearby public land. I enjoy the pre-hunt (scouting, stand location, etc.) as much as the hunt itself. To me, there is nothing as rewarding as going on to a new piece and sealing the deal for the first time.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Online Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
Great story and great pictures!

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
Too cool!  I love discovering and hunting new areas!

Nice work, and thanks for sharing    :clapper:
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the great read and pictures!!  Glad your efforts in a new area paid off!!

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
Cool story.   It's surprising how much whitetail hunting in Montana is "across the river".  

My main hunting ground is just such a place.   It's a cool added adventure to cross a western river at night....  Still raises my heart rate every time.  

Come late November when I'm dodging icebergs I think a less of it.   :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©