3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single Bevel BH damage thread  (Read 694 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Single Bevel BH damage thread
« on: August 14, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
Not everyone believes or accepts the heavy arrow, higher foc or single bevel stuff.  I dropped draw weight and got into these things due to concerns for penetration.  This shot started out as broadside at 20 yards but at the shot, the deer whirled and it hit the neck. Stuff happens...

A friend of mine shared this...this was a GA deer experience.  I thought it might compliment KYTJ's thread on the single bevel.  Perhaps some of you will find it enlightening:

Here are the photos from Harold's deer. Arrow specs: 658 grains; 28% FOC; 190 Grizzly sharpened with KME knife sharpener.

The deer reacted before the arrow arrived and it ended up as an inadvertent frontal hit. Range was just over 20 yards.

This first photo is the entrance wound.

Below is the skinned out neck. Upper arrow is entrance. The 2 lower arrows show a huge cut along the top of the spine.

Here's a better view of the cut along the top of the spine, made by the BH. Note that the dorsal processes are missing.

Here's a further dissection showing those 'missing' dorsal processes. There are five severed processes. They are shown here with the connecting tissues still holding them together.

The broadhead then entered through the spine, splitting three vertebra lengthwise. Note the broadhead rotation as the spine was penetrated.

The broadhead barely clipped one lobe of the left lung then passed along the left wall of the thorax, inside the rib cage and left side of the abdominal cavity. Below is the damaged lung. Note that it is a hole – not a 'slice'.

This next photo shows the entire left side of the skinned carcass. Upper yellow arrow is neck entrance. Green arrow is where the arrow penetrated the spine and entered the thorax. Note the degree of tissue damage the rotating, single-bevel head has caused all along the arrow's path.

Here are close up photos of the tissue damage along the left side of the thorax, abdomen and hip.

The arrow passed through the left hip, breaking the femur then exiting, for a complete pass through. Needless to say there was no blood trail as the deer dropped instantly and never even wiggled. This degree of soft tissue damage is typical of that seen when using a quality, truly sharp single-bevel broadhead. It could easily be mistaken as the damage from a high-velocity rifle bullet.

After going thru this it is our judgment that anyone using a quality single-bevel broadhead and not seeing this type of tissue damage does not have their broadheads truly sharp!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline stack

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Single Bevel BH damage thread
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
All I can say is WOW

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
We had a broadhead shoot at our club the other night, my wife missed the block target and hit the 2x4 on a bag target frame and I thought oh great, I'll have to dig that out now and didn't have time. Got to the arrow and it had totally split that 2x4 like an axe hit it. And that was a left bevel on right wing feathers. I bet the arrow wouldn't even have slowed down if the feathers and bevels were matched!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
David,

I've no idea how much difference the correct feather match to bevel makes... I just do it "cause".

I've often heard folks lament that "ain't hunting buffalo"... well, me either, but here was a deer in the East, broadside at 20 yards, and at the shot it spun enough to get hit in the neck and come out the flank... So with bows, no  matter how fast, stuff happens... Sure did a wicked job on the meat though... Oye...

Gracious!   :eek:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
Great case study!  Thanks for taking the time to do this.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
Good thread. Can you tell us the poundage of the bow and what type of shaft material?

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
I emailed the fellow, Harold, from GA to ask h is bow weight... but haven't heard back yet...

I'm jumping to an ASSUMED conclusion here but with that EFOC %, I'm guessing it was a carbon...hard to get that much on other type shafting...

Soon as I get a reply... I don't know h ow often Harold checks email...

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
Just got an email from an associate of this chap... turns out he's relegated to lighter draw weights due to arthritis (boy does that ring home)... Best estimates are that his older style, second hand, RC bow is generating with that arrow weight, somewhere between 150 and 140 fps... so as he put it,

"...It's about the bh performance, not the bow."  I figured given those pics, it would have been like an 80# bow!  

Hope that sheds some light...  

There was not a draw weight on this older bow... but he could draw it which means with his condition, it wasn't heavy... I can relate!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
Nice of u all to shear this with us. I love this foc stuff and I don't hunt Buffalo either. Just me !
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
We had a broadhead shoot at our club the other night, my wife missed the block target and hit the 2x4 on a bag target frame and I thought oh great, I'll have to dig that out now and didn't have time. Got to the arrow and it had totally split that 2x4 like an axe hit it. And that was a left bevel on right wing feathers. I bet the arrow wouldn't even have slowed down if the feathers and bevels were matched!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline bowheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »
What kinda deer is that NJ road jumper darn deer has a 4 foot long neck lol looks like you dragged him behind a 18 wheeler by the neck for 100 miles...
The Rock-Star of Trad-Talk

White Wolf Max P 40-55 lb adjustable longbow..

Border Harrier #53 carbon fast as A BOW CAN BE.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowheadhunter:
What kinda deer is that NJ road jumper darn deer has a 4 foot long neck lol looks like you dragged him behind a 18 wheeler by the neck for 100 miles...
Can't address that issue, but given all the damage to the neck tissue, I'd not be surprised it lengthened a bit, would you?

:jumper:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline bowheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
With a neck that long that deer could look up and down the turnpike both ways and around the corner than kiss his Butt good by by,,lol what some people will do to get attention here,,    :bigsmyl:

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
Dunno where in GA but it was GA deer, not NJ... but whatever.  As long as it amuses, that's good nuff I guess!

Didn't focus on the neck that much, but that it traversed a deer fore to aft, at 20 yards and now knowing it was a very old RC bow with no markings, but super sharp head...my, oh, my...    :scared:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline bowheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
Just pulling your deer neck my friend have fun with what ever broad head you use,,,

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowheadhunter:
Just pulling your deer neck my friend have fun with what ever broad head you use,,,
Per your own rhetoric, I'd guess that poor deer's neck is long enough...

I love to cook off a deer neck roast, but I might just have to make that one into burger meat were it mine...

ME? I've been using some older Tusker single bevel ground by KME some years back... but I doubt the brand matters as long as it's strong and sharp...

I shot double bevel for years and killed a few deer! Even killed one with a 3 blade WW, but as I dropped draw weight, I figured it was easier to push 2 blades thru then 3!  
As you say, whatever blows one's skirt up, shoot it and confidence is a big factor. Just wanted to share after seeing this I thought y'all might appreciate some visuals!     :D      :thumbsup:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
sorry about that...hit the wrong icon and wanted to edit, not quote...so deleted this one...doh!

Old age??  1/2 heimers?  Oh, well...  :(

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
There is no downside to hunting with a single bevel high foc arrow. None.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
Impressive penetration and tissue destruction. Would have guessed a heavy poundage bow.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by katman:
Impressive penetration and tissue destruction. Would have guessed a heavy poundage bow.
I get teased about my 585 gr. arrows with 300 up front as being "Saw Logs"... and am shooting only 47# out of my Sas R/D and never clocked it as don't have one of those gizmos...

It's encouraging to think a light draw old school, ancient RC would get that type performance...weren't the bow for sure... had to be the arrow and head.

Gives me hope... and a "nanner nannar" to those naysayers about my Saw Logs!   :jumper:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©