3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone shoot less than 9gpp?  (Read 809 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone shoot less than 9gpp?
« on: August 15, 2015, 03:12:00 AM »
Just thinking, do any of you shoot 8 gpp or so?

It seems to me that lots of you guys shoot big huge snuffers or treesharks out of 50+ # bows @ 9-10 gpp for deer.

With that in mind, does it seem unreasonable to consider 8 gpp and a thin grizzly style head for deer?

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone shoot less than 9gpp?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 03:27:00 AM »
8 gpp would be the least I would shot out of any bow. It will probably work on deer but the little bit of extra kenetic energy you get with 9-10 gpp is worth it to me. I will take quite and forgiving bow over more arrow speed. Now if you get both you got a plus.
High on Archery.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 07:01:00 AM »
I would think it would work fine, but as the last poster said it could be called a minimum and I'd much rather be shooting 9,10,11+ and enjoy a quieter bow, less vibration in the bow, and an extra margin of error if my shot doesnt strike the target surface/skin exactly how I intended. 9-10gpp is plenty flat shooting at what most folks would consider average hunting distances.  Sure it may be "fun" to use less than 8gpp on 3D targets, and I have watched it before with its laser like trajectory out to 30 but I always winced at how loud the bows were and thinking they might blow up LOL.  

Rick Welch swears by 400gr arrows out of 50ish pound bows and I understand his methodology, and his shooting prowess is incredible, but I frankly did not genuinely enjoy the one bow of his that I tried because it was so overbuilt and porky feeling.  Just my 2c.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 07:18:00 AM »
8 gpp is usually about the minimum recommended by most bowyers.  The bows just start losing efficiency when you go to light.  I don't see anything wrong with a light arrow and a good head on whitetail sized animals.  My personal preference is about 10 gpp for most any animal.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
I shoot just over 8 gpp.  I have been playing around with some FMJ and found that I only lost 6 fps, so they might end up being my hunting arrows.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 08:03:00 AM »
I have, I think it's reasonable in bows that are 60+. I've always preferred 9-9.5 gpi in my bows over 60.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
I understand where you are coming from wanting flatter trajectory out west. Here where I live not so much. From what I have seen most bowyers wont recommend anything under 9gpp just for the longevity of the bow. You may see what your bowyer recommends and go from there. I don't  want to take a chance at blowing any of my bows up. I like that quiet dull thump from a heavy woody myself. just my .02.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
61# 511 gr arrow 8.6 gpp. Light as I care to go with my set up. Good reasons stated above. It's just the balance between trajectory, bow noise, & speed I have confidence in. I like quit over speed and practice at distance.

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
By the way GRIZZLES are KILLERS

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
I have had 2 bowyers their bows would be just fine at 7 gpp...I only shoot that for 3D...for hunting I stick with arrows around 600 grains

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
I'm shooting 8.6 gpp, with a 430 grain arrow and a 50# bow for whitetails. I've killed a bunch of whitetails and a couple black bears with this set up, and others similar to it over the years, and I've never found it lacking anything.

Bob

Offline Mjolnir

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I'm shooting just a hair over 9gpi. 74lbs at my draw weight and total arrow weight is 695.5 grains. I tested shooting 745.5 grains last night and the spine seemed a little weak.

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »
No real need to ever go over 400-450 grains for whitetails unless specified by your bowyer. I shoot 325-350 grains for hunting from a 41# recurve and 393 grains from my 47# recurve, I have shot deer with the 3 blade muzzys with my 47#  bow and 393 grain arrows... The only things that really matter with deer is a tuned arrow tipped with a sharp broad head and put in the right spot, everything else isn't really that important
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
9.5 to 10 per pound with two blade Bear Razorheads, Zwickey Deltas and Stingers. Tried the heavy FOC thing and I just have better luck tuning an arrow on the 500gr range.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys. This isn't something I am going to do at the moment, just thinking and considering what might work best for me in the future.

A few of you locked right into where I was going in my mind.

I shoot 55# now and can shoot 60 easily. My next bow will be a 60. I am out west and dont tree stand hunt so shots are 20 min and 30 easily. Flatter trajectory would really be helpful. Not saying it cant be done otherwise, but it would help. And helping is always good right?- as long as I have a heavy enough setup to do the job. Which brings up weight. I heard Big Jim (I think) recently say that a heavier bow can shoot less gpp usually because it's build heavier. Along that line of reasoning, I figured if I shoot a 60# I could keep my 550 grain arrow (currently 10 gpp at my 55#) and be faster (at 9gpp) while having just as much arrow down range.

This might be out of range, but a guy shooting a 65-70# bow with a 550 grain arrow would be smoking fast and still sending as much or more arrow down range than many here.

See where I am going with this?

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »
I'm shooting shafts made of solid lead. They give good penetration,however, when I'm shooting running game at over 50 yards I need a slightly greater lead.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 11:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by MikeNova:
I'm shooting shafts made of solid lead. They give good penetration,however, when I'm shooting running game at over 50 yards I need a slightly greater lead.
:knothead:I have the same problem.
T ZZZZ

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 11:57:00 PM »
no, I prefer 9.5-11gr/#
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 05:48:00 AM »
Yup right around 7-8 here

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 12:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
8 gpp is usually about the minimum recommended by most bowyers.  The bows just start losing efficiency when you go to light.  I don't see anything wrong with a light arrow and a good head on whitetail sized animals.  My personal preference is about 10 gpp for most any animal.

Mike
I 2nd this one.... 9.5-10 gpp you get less noise from your bow too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©