3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is There A Person That Got You Started In Archery?  (Read 1144 times)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is There A Person That Got You Started In Archery?
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
My dad in 1965.  I doubt he had any idea that this would become the passion in my life that it has.

He started bowhunting in around 1958-59.  He and my mom bought me a 40lb Shakespeare recurve for my  13th birthday.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
The Wally Taber show when they came to a Jr or high school auditorium back in the 60's. They would feature a hunt from Fred Bear or Ben Pearson
.  Dad for getting me into all kinds of gun hunting. He ended up shooting his biggest buck with a stick how after retirement.  Life is good!!
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »
My dad,in 1959 bought me a York bow and some arrows for Christmas,still have the bow!
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
Warren Womack, Greg Gravois and Murray Landry.

Had never met them when Greg invited me to a 3-D bow shoot and lent me a Tim Mullins TreeStick.

I made three friends for life that day
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Allen Boice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
John Strunk. He didn't introduce me to traditional archery, but he did get me started shooting and building longbows for which I am truly grateful. John is one of the true champions of traditional archery and I wish him many more years of contributions to this special sport we all love.

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
When I was twelve a man in our church asked me if I would like to go hunting,  I jumped at the offer and my folks gave me permission. The next year he gave me a 45lb Bear recurve to use and told me just look at what you want to hit and let it fly. I managed to miss a doe that year while standing with my back against the root ball of a huge blow down. What a thrill!
I bought a Bear whitetail compound with arrows the next year for $60 from money I'd earned making hay for the neighboring dairy farm. I thought I was in the big time. Fast forward to around 1994 and I met George Stout, he invited me to his house to try a recurve we'd been talking about. When I left George's house that day I had with me a 60lb PSE Heritage Raven recurve and I still own it.
As to the question above, I suppose Dave Turner from church back in '78 planted the seed in archery and hunting and George watered it. Thanks to both of them.
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
When I was twelve a man in our church asked me if I would like to go hunting,  I jumped at the offer and my folks gave me permission. The next year he gave me a 45lb Bear recurve to use and told me just look at what you want to hit and let it fly. I managed to miss a doe that year while standing with my back against the root ball of a huge blow down. What a thrill!
I bought a Bear whitetail compound with arrows the next year for $60 from money I'd earned making hay for the neighboring dairy farm. I thought I was in the big time. Fast forward to around 1994 and I met George Stout, he invited me to his house to try a recurve we'd been talking about. When I left George's house that day I had with me a 60lb PSE Heritage Raven recurve and I still own it.
As to the question above, I suppose Dave Turner from church back in '78 planted the seed in archery and hunting and George watered it. Thanks to both of them.
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
I made my first bow when I was 6 or 7 years old. I suppose Tonto an the Lone Ranger got me interested. Or some other "native American" on TV.

I saw my dad shoot two arrows in my life. Both of them were straight up in the air!

I did get three of my younger brothers into archery. One of them still hunts with me 40 years later.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
I'm really enjoying this thread, glad I started it. Thanks again for all the replies.

Bob

Offline Whitetailarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
My dad, my grandfather and my brother got me started hunting. I adopted bow hunting on my own and started to really focus on traditional archery about four years ago. Mike Harbinson has been a tremendous help to many people in our area and in our state. I have also gained a wealth of knowledge and insight from everyone here on Trad Gang. Thanks for the help!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
My Uncle Herb........always saw him come home for Sunday dinner after bow hunting all morning. Back then he shot a recurve [mid 60's] and in 1967 I got my first recurve a Browning Nomad Stalker. Uncle Herb passed 2 years ago and the bow I took on Bear Quest this year was purchased with money he left me. He helped complete my first Trad Harvest.........God rest his soul!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
As a kid scrummaging around our local library looking for books on indian lore camping etc. I came across a book that peaked my interest, "Hunting the Hard Way" Ever since then I have loved shooting and hunting with longbows.

Offline wscruggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
I have really liked this thread and would like to share my archery adventure but don't even know where to start..  Keep the stories coming.

Online Bluefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 11:18:00 PM »
I grew up in western Co. around my mothers family which included 5 brothers and they all hunted with bows as well as rifles so I got involved at an early age and for the most part it's stayed with me. Dan

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
Robin Hood, The DeerSlayer, Green Arrow, Cochise, Sitting Bull, Last of the Mohicans, Saxton Pope, Hawkeye, warriors of Ghengis Khan.

Nobody I knew or in my family bowhunted or shot a bow.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 12:08:00 AM »
A family friend made me a dogwood bow.....stick and string really.....when I was ten years old.  And at 66 I'm still shooting and having more fun than ever.
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2015, 12:27:00 AM »
When I was a kid, one of the two area tv stations we could get, showed Hill, Pearson and Bear films on Saturday.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 07:26:00 AM »
My friend and his father
SWA Spyder

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
I got started by my father for everything hunting, fishing and trapping. I picked up traditional archery on my own but became very involved through a friend and bow maker John Holzrichter.

Gabe

Offline danshao

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
Well I started having thoughts of practicing archery after playing skyrim on my xbox so I guess it's the dovahkiin that got me started lmao

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©