3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Working on bad habits  (Read 390 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Working on bad habits
« on: August 16, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
For the past few months I've been trying to improve form and accuracy.  According to the expert's I do more wrong than right.  And, those experts are pretty much right.  Talking about genuine experts who regularly illustrate that they walk the talk.

But, it has been a hard time trying to form new habits over those that are ingrained over years of doing it wrong.  Those months of effort have been for naught.  My accuracy is erratic and unreliable!  Season opens in less than two weeks!

So, a few days ago I began working on the restoration of those bad habits.  My accuracy improved immediately!  I'm hoping that with hard work my bad habits will be quickly restored.

Wish me luck!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Re: Working on bad habits
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
Good luck!

Sometimes, we have to take what the "experts" say and mold that into something that is comfortable for us. There really is no right or wrong. There is only consistent and inconsistent. If you are consistent, your shooting will improve, if you are not, it will not.

Bisch

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
"Practice makes perfect" is a misquote. It should be "Perfect practice makes perfect"

so "sloppy practice makes sloppy" and thats why we all work on our form in practice.

But i've read many stories where people say "I don't remember drawing the bow when I shot the deer".

Its you habits and your instinct that matter.theres a little bit of magic mixed in there, maybe a whole lot of magic.

It's acually a right brain/left brain thing.
Your right brain knows how to shoot a bow because of the last 10,000 arrows you've shot.

Your left brain is like your know-it-all  brother-in-law telling you how you should work on your release, your back, your anchor, Pick a spot, pick your nose ect.. ect..

In the end It will be your "bad habits" that loose the arrow at the giant buck or the timid doe.

It sounds like your bad habits can "hit the mark"
Lucky man

Just don't take your Know-it-all brother-in-law to the woods.

Good luck,God bless and have a great season.

Scott
Black locust selfwood longbow
52#@28"
Great Plains Longbow 55#@28"

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
Developing your "own" style is more important than how the "pro's" do it.

Good luck this season

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
After this season start early man. It takes more than a few months and your accuracy will suffer but, it will be worth the rewards in the end.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 06:34:00 AM »
I have no bad habits. Sorry I couldn't help.  :)  Trying to perfect one's form and accuracy is what this traditional road is all about. Can't wait to shoot every day and see what I have to work on.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
I just picked up Masters of the Bare bow vol,4  The Mental Side, it was great, i think its going to help me alot, i have all 4 and this one is the icing on the cake, a must see.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
Every seen HORRIBLE golf swings go right down the middle of the fairway?  Sure, proper form enhances and promotes CONSTANT accuracy but if it doesn't feel comfortable, it won't work for you when bearing down on a target or animal.

I say work with what feels good.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
poor ol ishi didn't even know he was doing it all wrong. as long as you know where that arrow is going your good to go.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by arrow30:
poor ol ishi didn't even know he was doing it all wrong. as long as you know where that arrow is going your good to go.
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
All of you have reassured me on the choice of getting back to my "bad habits".  The idea that when the shot presents those old habits will come to the surface was seeming more and more likely.

Thank you all for the support!
Monterey

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
A perfect example might be shooting three under or split fingers.  The best shooters I know ALL shoot three under to put the arrow more in line with the their eye and they have a better anchor system.  I tried it, I shoot decent 3 under, BUT IT JUST DOESN'T FEEL NATURAL and I can't do it.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
BTW, while we all strive to become the best shooter we can, in reality we are talking hunting accuracy, not target practice and "X" rings.  Dead is dead.

Stay within your comfortable range and have fun hunting
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
Every seen HORRIBLE golf swings go right down the middle of the fairway?  Sure, proper form enhances and promotes CONSTANT accuracy but if it doesn't feel comfortable, it won't work for you when bearing down on a target or animal.

I say work with what feels good.
I am a golf pro by trade and I see this all the time, including myself.  I think consistency in form matters more for you right now.  When I teach people with bad habits that are ingrained I work with what I have. Everyone has natural tendencies and 95% of the time I just roll with those and make some minor changes to complement them.
 If I have a student that is committed to practice and has the time I will start to bust up the bad habits a little bit but their consistency always suffers in the short term.  Tiger Woods has torn his swing apart on multiple occasions and each time it took two years to get back to where he needed to be.    

Dance with who you brought this year and next year start with fundamentals and then work into the nitty gritty. Gotta do something during the off season!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Good advice   :thumbsup:
Monterey

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
My good habits are another archers bad habits.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©