3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunting bow set-up  (Read 399 times)

Offline nock hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk hunting bow set-up
« on: August 16, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've got a 59# longbow that I shoot well and I am planning on taking it elk hunting. I currently shoot Easton 2018's with a 145gr Montec. I've never killed anything with a 3 bade and I'm worried that it isn't enough FOC to get good penetration if need be. The current arrow weight is 585gr. What are your thoughts?
62" 61@27" Bighorn T/D Recurve
    50@27" Bighorn Limbs
62" 59@27" Algoma Packbow Longbow
62" 60@27" Algoma Packer 2pcLongbow
62" 60@27" ACS-CX 3pc Longbow
64" 49@27" ACS-CX Limbs

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunting bow set-up
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 12:11:00 AM »
It's plenty to kill an elk. If you have any concerns go with a 2 blade head but I don't think it's necessary

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:50:00 AM »
You have enough arrow weight and speed to do the job, but there are better options for a broad head.  The Montec is rather short and doesn't have as good mechanical advantage as a longer head like a Woodsman, for example. Given the same width dimensions, the longer blade will penetrate better.  

That being said, most any broad head will kill an elk if put in the right place.

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Agree with Orion, especially Re: Montec. The Montec is a high quality head but you could do better with a higher MA head, as stated above.  

Kris

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Ditto the other guys on the Montec, you don't have a lot of time to retune so you probably don't want to change weight up front a lot, if you do have time to retune I've become a big fan of Cutthroat single bevel heads from rmsgear,I use the 200gr screw in, and the Magnus Stinger Buzzcut have worked well for me too and they come in a similar weight model to what you already shoot!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 08:20:00 PM »
Draw weight and arrow weight sound good, I'd just replace the Montec with a 150 grain 2 blade Magnus Stinger and then you'd have a pretty formidable elk setup.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
Montec heads use a softer steel and you can not get as good of a edge on them as a woodsman elite or vpa broadhead. I use woodsman elite and love them the are devastating as far as arrow weight you are perfect for you I would not change anything except go to woodsman elite.     Widow

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
Montec heads use a softer steel and you can not get as good of a edge on them as a woodsman elite or vpa broadhead. I use woodsman elite and love them the are devastating as far as arrow weight you are perfect for you I would not change anything except go to woodsman elite.     Widow

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
If your arrows are flying perfectly, heavy FOC will not help one iota. Your arrows and bow are both plenty heavy. I agree with the others on the Montec heads, replace them with a longer head. Enjoy your hunt.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©