3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Daily Double  (Read 634 times)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Daily Double
« on: August 17, 2015, 12:56:00 AM »
Well, not daily, of course.

I haven't been doing much shooting the last couple of weeks, between being away from home, then working a lot of hours to make up for it, then the heat of summer, coupled with some stupid virus that I picked up.  Anyway, after work today was the first day that I felt up to going out to check on the only feeder that is running on my property.  I haven't had much hog sign for the last month or so, but I figured I would give it a shot anyway.

I was running a little late, so I had my wife drop me off at the feeder using her electric cart.  We crested a hill a little over a hundred yards away and came to a stop.  There were hogs already at the feeder, so we backed out of there until we were out of sight, she dropped me off, and she turned around and went back home.  

I knew that I couldn't cross the open fiend for a stalk, and was already lucky that I hadn't been busted by a stray wind.  I crossed through thick Johnson grass to the west until I was out of eyesight of the feeder, crossed the field, and headed into the woods.  From there, I circled as quickly and quietly as I could to come out a little northwest of the clearing that the feeder was in, to keep the wind in my favor.  Now, I wasn't anything close to silent.  After record flooding in May and June, the faucets turned off, and it is very dry here now.  That probably explains why the hogs have finally consented to return to a feeder.

Anyway, I got to a point where I could see the clearing, but was unable to get close enough to see the feeder.  I could here the hogs under it, but a group of small ones didn't have permission to be directly under the feeder, and kept roaming close enough to me that I couldn't close the gap.  I decided to shoot one of them, since it probably wouldn't be long before the wind shifted and the ballgame would be over.

I drew back with the first arrow that I grabbed out of my quiver, which turned out to be tipped with a cutthroat.  Well, the piggy saw be and scooted forward at the release, which resulted in a ham shot.  Could have been worse.  Probably a quick kill, or complete recovery.  I though I heard it go down across the clearing, as hogs scattered, with some going into the drainage to the east, and others(presumably the larger ones from under the feeder) sneaking to the west, between me and the open field. That group cut my trail and growled at me on the way out, and probably won't be back for awhile.

I had a little daylight left, so grabbed my arrow, let some more corn out of the feeder, and went into my blind to see if anyone would come back.  I still hadn't tracked the little pig, but wanted to wait a little.  On the way to the blind, I found an old arrow that I had killed a raccoon with, which was a bonus.  Basically 2 arrows that were a little dull and bloody, and 2 fresh arrows left, one tipped with a VPA and one with a snuffer.

I wasn't sitting in the blind for a minute before a group of 6 longbeards and a jake came in for dinner.  Fun to watch, and I videotaped them on my phone for 5 minutes, before getting busted one of them.  One putt, and they scooted out of there.

Some birds and squirrels took there place, but when I heard a group of doves take off, I knew something was coming, looked across the clearing, and here came 4 smallish hogs.  They were very jumpy, and I know that they smelled where I had been at the feeder.  I didn't want to give them much time to think about that, and took the first shot that presented itself, even though it was quartering to me.  I hit it right at the shoulder, and it came out the opposite hip with enough force to knock the hog off of it's feet for a second, before it was off and running.  I heard it crash in the brush, and knew that it didn't go far.  I gathered up my stuff, and slowly tracked my what to where I knew the hog had gone into the drainage, picking up another bloody arrow on the way.

Along the way, I found the first little pig, only a few yards into the woods.

I had been fairly quiet up until this point, but when I took the picture of the little hog, I saw motion up ahead around 15 yards away, and knew it either was a wounded hog, or one of his friends.  I put my last fresh arrow on the string, tipped with a snuffer, and crept closer.  When I got a good look, the hog was trying to get to it's feet, but was too weak,, gasping for breath.  I waited a minute or two, and it was all over.  Here he is.

And here is my stack of arrows.  At least I don't have to clean the one with the white fletching tonight.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daily Double
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 12:59:00 AM »
Not the ideal shot placement for either of them, but down in short order, nonetheless.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 01:23:00 AM »
Nice work Pat!  Thanks for the share!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 07:55:00 AM »
Daily double!!! I'll take two porkers Alex Trebek

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
Way to go, Pat!

Congrats,

Bisch

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
Awesome stuff, congrats Brother!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
Nice work Pat, you are a pig killin' machine. Keep after them.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
Cool. Nothing to hunt here but foam. congrats!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
Nice Pat!  Are you shooting 400 or 500 axis out of that tip?

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
Awesome job pat way to keep at em ...FIRE UP THE BBQ!! Best of luck on the elk hunt coming up too I hope to see you and Dirtybird next to a BIG BULL!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Jarrod, I am going to need all of the luck I can get, lol.

Tim, I actually use 340's with around 250 up front.  I draw around 29.5", so I end up using a little stiffer arrow.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
Guess I should have mentioned, but this officially puts this silvertip at over a ton of hogs since last fall.  Just a really nice bow.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
Sounds like your property is staying very active for you.. Good to hear. All your hard work is paying off. Congrats Buddy.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
Well done Pat,congrats. I need to send you some Italian wild boar recepies, just to add variety. Lol
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
Great pork   :clapper:

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
1000lbs,  very nice indeed.  Congratulations.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »