3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Beginner's equipment decisions  (Read 927 times)

Offline Sweetwater

• Trad Bowhunter
Beginner's equipment decisions
« on: August 17, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
I've looked around the forum and viewed most of the sponsors' websites. I'm in trouble, I want it all. Reality and Missus Sweet' are reminding me I have to try to be responsible as I develop this new-to-me skill. I have also read the file that the webmaster recommended and it was very helpful.

As I've shopped the local proshop I thought I had the new bow issue beaten. A little bit about me: I'm in my forties (a puppy!), reasonably fit, and I can easily shoot my 52# compound bow with good accuracy and precision. I believe my draw is 28" on my compounds. I realize that doesn't necessarily translate to traditional archery.

So, I looked very closely at 3 recurves:

1. Ragim Brown Bear, 58", 40# @28. $270
2. Bear Archery Kodiak Magnum, 54", 45# @28. $470
3. Bear Archery Super Kodiak, 60", 50# @28. $680  

Now, I'd prefer to spend the least amount, but the Ragim doesn't scream quality unless I missed something. I am also concerned about its draw weight as it is the absolute minimum in NC (40#). The SK is very pretty and feels good when I handle it in the shop, but it is $$$! I'd be hard pressed to buy other gear at that price. I could actually start looking at true customs at $700+ (the addiction is setting in).

Just like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, the Kodiak Magnum seems to be just right. Feels good in the hand, it is attractive to me, the draw weight is enough for the law and not too much for my strength and conditioning at 45#. The price is fine and I almost think the shop would discount it or add some coaching sessions as an incentive...at the very least I will have an expert on hand to select arrows and set up the bow.

Is there any reason a traditional archery rookie should not proceed with the Bear Kodiak Magnum?

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beginner's equipment decisions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
The Kodiak Magnum is 52",not 54".Short bows like that can magnify form errors.Some can handle them but I'd recommend starting with something in the 58-60" range.Consider ordering a bow in your chosen poundage.

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
My advise is to try as many bows as you can before you buy. For your first trad bow I would not get a 52" to 54". Not that the Magnum is not a good bow it is just a little harder to shoot accurately for a beginner in most cases. If your draw is 28" I think that you would be more comfortable with a 58" or even 60". The truth is nobody can tell you what you will like best and that is why I say try to shoot as many bows as possible. If you like the Bear bows there are many vintage bows that are very servicable on the market you can get for $200 or less.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
Good advice already I would go the vintage rout find a solid Kodiak Hunter or Grizzly for around 200 bucks. Then get well matched arrows n have at it! No it wont be the last bow the addiction will get worse.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
If you're only shooting 52# with a compound, you're going to be overbowed with a 45# short recurve.  Short bows are going to be difficult to learn on.  A Samick Sage with 25-30lb limbs is a good bow to start, it will allow you to work on nailing down proper form without fighting draw weight.  You can pick up another set of limbs to hunt with down the road.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
I would suggest you go with the cheapest decent bow you can find and learn to shoot properly, that will go a long way to ensure you enjoy the experience, because once you know how to shoot properly you can just about shoot any bow well. Too many and including myself have gone through so many many bows, we all might as well vote for Trump because of the money invested. Listen to your wife, spend money wisely or you will end up buying every bow that you think will make you a better shot and they won't.
A mildly used bow that is low in weight, mid 30's will give you something solid to work with, without worring if you put some dings in it.
I wish someone had given me this advise, I'd probablt be driving a better car than what I drive now.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Sweetwater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Great advice gang, and thanks for every single bit of it. I will take some time and continue looking at used bows in the 60" range.

I shoot the compound at 52# simply because it is set up and tuned that way and it is light! When drawing the 45# and 50# in the proshop they feel smooth and easy to manipulate, but I certainly respect the thought that my form would/could crumble with lots of practice due to fatigue of unused muscles. I can only guess, but I think I figured out that shooting dozens of arrows a day may not be good practice.

My other search will be for shoots where I might have a chance to test drive some bows. The hunt for the right bow is proving to be fun and interesting and educational!

Offline Sweetwater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
...and I guess a cheap 25# draw weight recurve would never be a bad idea. The kids might even get to use it. I am lucky to be patient and finally old enough to control myself.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
My thoughts would be: never buy a bow until you shoot it.  You buy it /you own it.

Loads of good deals out there on good used bows. I hit the yard sales and always ask for, bow and arrows, not archery equipment.  Bows and arrows are easier to understand sometimes to folks.  Just this weekend I asked that question and the woman went into the house and came out with a really nice Ben Pearson, 40# hunting bow.  Wanted $5.00 but I gave her $20.00 instead. I would have given here more but that is all I had left.

I didn't follow my own advise about shooting the bow but then I didn't need another bow and I pass them on after I make a new string and rest.

Check craigslist for bows and put a request for a recurve/longbow on craigslist.

Lighter bows are good to learn on and can be passed on to your wife or kids.

Lots of good advise in the above posts.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »
If your budget is limited, I suggest looking for a good used bow and once you learn how to shoot it and are comfortable with the draw weight you can invest in another bow with a few more pounds.  For someone who is new I would suggest your first traditional bow be about 40-45 pounds in draw weight as it is very important to develop good shooting form and habits from the very start.  Consider joining Carolina Traditional Archers.  They have active members all across the Carolinas and sponsor quite a few shoots each summer.  Most people would be glad to let you try their bow so you can see what you like.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
Get a sage with 35 and 45 lb limds then work up
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline hart2hart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
Sage or Journey.
Sage good for normal 27" to 29"
Journey will go further.
They both have great grips(medium) but sorry strings.
The KMag has deeper grip and be more like your compound.
Buy extra limbs like Jamesh76 states as needed.
Samick good bow for the $$

Offline stack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
Get your draw length checked I shot 28" draw with my compound also but I was using a release. Now with my LB using the corner of my mouth I am down to 25.5.

Offline Sweetwater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
Stack, that's not something I even considered! I will visit the pro shop again this week or next and check the draw length and then see if they deal with and can order the Sage with lighter limbs. I'm so green, I need to keep my business local with someone who can offer help and set the bow up, and then I need to visit some shoots.

I also visited the Carolina Traditional Archers page (THX JohnV!) and see that they have several Fall shoots in the region.

Now, if your draw length goes from 28 to 25.5" on a 40@28 recurve, then is it now an illegal to hunt with that bow as your poundage at anchor is now less than 40# (NC minimum is 40 on non-compound)? That may also explain why the Bear SK 50# @28 felt so comfortable to me...

That's probably not a forum question but one for the NC Wildlife Commission.

Offline bowheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
from an old timer watch out for custom bow makers after sending over $800 on TD bow my bow pretty but why put Allen bolts on the bow that are just steel and rust --- why not brass or a good grade SS steel beware of this when buying a bow..
The Rock-Star of Trad-Talk

White Wolf Max P 40-55 lb adjustable longbow..

Border Harrier #53 carbon fast as A BOW CAN BE.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
I'll ditto the stay out of the short bow thing too! Did you check out  www.rmsgear.com  when you were looking at sponsors sites, they have a good selection of new and used bows. Knowing what i know now, I personally would buy a Samick Sage or Journey if I was just starting out like you. Order a Fast Flight Flemish string when you order the bow and toss the string that comes with the bow. That will leave you some coin to get a stringer (mandatory in my books), a tab, an arm guard and arrows and tab(E.W. Bateman). Then save your money, work some overtime and sell your compound to buy a custom bow later!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline bowheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
old goat 2

tell this old guy a good tab to buy now so many out there or a good glove with finger stalls
The Rock-Star of Trad-Talk

White Wolf Max P 40-55 lb adjustable longbow..

Border Harrier #53 carbon fast as A BOW CAN BE.

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
Sweetwater,

These guys have just saved you a $$$TON of money and time. Now hear me out...use just $30 of that $$$TON and shoot ole Terry (TradGang site founder) a check to become a "Contributing Member".

This small annual fee helps pay for all the hardware and maintenance to operate this awesome website.   You'll get so much from this site!! It's better than any magazine subscription, and packed full of great advice, like you just received.

PLUS, you get access to all the used bows (and other required accessories) at a bargain to a fair price, from good, honest folks in the TradGang Classifieds.

Welcome to the Gang.
CoilSpring

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
I'm in the camp recommending a Samick Journey.  It is a $140 takedown bow, 64" amo.  Very smooth drawing.  The Samick Sage is the "same bow" (exact same riser in fact), just 1" shorter limbs on each end, making a 62" amo bow.

I have a Journey.  35 lbs limbs.  I draw 29+ inches.  Replacement limbs are only $75 new.  The riser is ready to accept a quiver, and elevated rest (ie NAP) if you'd like-or you can shoot off the shelf.  

You can get a lower weight set of limbs (30 or 35 lbs), and then "something more (40 or 45 lbs,,,, up to 55-60 lbs).

The factory string is stretchy dacron.  You can put a Bearpaw fast flight D97 string on it for ~ $14.

I use a Bateman 3-under cordovan tab.

That's a lot of performance, for not a lot of money.  It is an inexpensive, not "cheap",  great shooting recurve bow.
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
Definitely check out the used bows on here and at  rmsgear.com.  You said you liked the Super Kodiak.  Well there's a 45# one at rmsgear for $350.  Also several other Bear models, and the one I'd go with, a 45# Ben Pearson Hunter for $175.  I have one that's 42# and it's a great shooting little bow, and they have absolutely beautiful zebra wood risers.  I shot 29" back when I shot compound and shoot around 27" with trad, and the little Ben Pearson doesn't stack at all for me.  Shame you aren't closer or I'd let you try mine and see how you liked it.  Enjoy the addiction.

Matt
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©