3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: minimum legal draw weight  (Read 791 times)

Offline Jb Phipps

• Trad Bowhunter
minimum legal draw weight
« on: August 18, 2015, 06:58:00 AM »
When I read "40# minimum draw weight" in hunting regs, I have assumed it means 40# at your draw length.  I'm a recent trad convert and I bought a 66" Whip drawing 38# at 28".  I draw to 30" so I should be shooting somewhere around 43#.  Am I legal or not?

I drew out on a trad only hunt in McAlester OK and it clearly states minimum draw weight of 40# at 28".  That seems like a pretty arbitrary requirement given that the hunter may have a 25" draw length or a 31" draw length.  Is this an old argument?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: minimum legal draw weight
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
Depends on the warden that checks you, my buddy lives in Oregon and won't buy a bow unless it says the legal draw weight or higher on it and he pulls about the same draw length as you. We all know and understand,  but do all the game wardens? I'd call them and ask!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 07:27:00 AM »
43 at 30 is about the same power as 50 at 28.  It should be a no brainer, but if you want to be guaranteed safe from the law, put some math together in an easy to read format and go show the head warden in that area before the season starts.

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:40:00 AM »
couldn’t you just go to a bow shop and have them measure your draw weight at 30" and have them up one of those little stickers on your bow? Maybe in addition to that take Pavan's advice also. How many times have we got a new bow or set of limbs that have been +/- 2# from what they were marked? I don’t see how anyone could hold you up for shooting more then the minimum, especially if it's marked right on your bow.
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
Well if it says "40 @ 28" it means just that.  If you are shooting less then that your bow is illegal.

It may not be right but it's what it is.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
I also draw long.  

Personally, I would lightly sand away any such markings and go hunt.  I would NOT go with a too light bow, but this would alleviate questions.

That said, I use heavier bows and as such this is a moot point for me.

ChuckC

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
Well if it says "40 @ 28" it means just that.  If you are shooting less then that your bow is illegal.

It may not be right but it's what it is.

Mike
So do they check everyone’s draw length? what if a guy only drew 26" and when the game GW came up he anchored on his ear?

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
28 is 28.  It might be crazy but your right everyone would have a 30 inch draw when checked.

Heck I've found that most 28" draw guys actually draw less.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 09:59:00 AM »
Minimum draw weight is one of those regulations that is nearly impossible to enforce.  I doubt any game warden is going to pull out a weighing scale and then measure your poundage at 28" to verify you are legal.  I have never heard of anyone having their bow weight verified in the field by law enforcement in those states where there is a minimum draw weight.  That said, the law is the law and if you willingly violate it you should be prepared to accept the consequences.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
Probably one of the most bashed around subjects when it comes to bow hunting...here in Alberta for example the legislation is also 40 pounds at 28 inches with a minimum arrow length requirement of 24 inches...allowing for an inch past the riser that could be as little as a 23 inch actual draw length which I read as absolutely legal...depending on the bow that could easily result in an actual draw weight right around 30 pounds...I look after the problem by hunting with bows that are all over 50 pounds draw weight...legal and ethical are not the same thing

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
Only once, way back when Iowa still had a minimum, I think it was 35, did a game warden get excited about the weight of my bow.  It had no markings at all on it, a fiberglass bamboo longbow that I made myself. He told me it was the law to have the numbers on the bow.  I asked him to show me that law, but he did find the 35 pound part.  I handed him my bow and said, "Tell me what poundage it is and I will it write on the bow."  He did not have a scale, and when he tried to pull it back, I could see what Hill meant when he said, "I could cut washers off your rump."  Later that year the bow weighed in at 82 pounds at 26".
  this particular game warden was actually very cordial, any logical game warden would realize that 43 at 30" is a lot more than 40 at 28", but then it could be possible that you can run into one that just wants to be a problem.

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
IMO it says that a minimum of 40# at 28" so how could more than the minimum be wrong? I am not suggesting breaking the law by any means, I truly believe you are within the law, confirm with the GW.

38@28" is illegal
40@27" is illegal
43@30" legal

It didn’t say you have to be 40@28 it said that 40@28 is the minimum and since you are 43@30 you are legal. Think of it this way, if the speed limit is 40 MPH and you are driving 40 MPH but your speedometer reads 45 MPH, are you speeding? No and you cannot be ticked for speeding. The sticker from the bow shop would clear up any questions.

Offline MEsquivel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
Mike [/qb][/QUOTE]So do they check everyone’s draw length? what if a guy only drew 26" and when the game GW came up he anchored on his ear? [/QB][/QUOTE]

This is too funny.
I can see it happening.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
Your going to get ticketed if your bow is not a minimum of 40 @ 28 and probably on the original graphic on the bow.

I've have had the pleasure of dealing with F&G people all over the world and the one thing that is common is that the letter of the law is enforced in the easiest manner.

If you still doubt it, call the folks at McAlester and let us know what they have to say.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
I believe different states say different things.  One example as 40 @ 28".  That one is pretty specific and can be enforced, maybe.  Nothing at all says that the numbers on the bow have to be correct.  If I build a bow and write 100 # on my 70 pound bow ( as I read Fred B once did), what law did I break?  

Some say 40# at your draw length and some just say 40#. ( of course, the actual poundage is different from state to state.

Most of the regulators that come up with these rules don't know anything about the actual sport and they get their info , hopefully, from state clubs or ranking sportsmen.  However, often, in spite of a good try, the written rule just doesn't come out right.

An example might be seen in Wisconsin's rule about broadheads ( if it is even still in the books as such) stating something like..steel broadheads must be sharp.   Says nothing about plastic ones, or more importantly, stone, or heck, titanium even.

I think if you are close, you should make the effort to do something to ensure a non trad warden who is checking you in the field feels comfortable with your choice.  Know your stuff and be confident about it.  Or, just boost up just a bit so you are not right at the minimum.
ChuckC

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Here in WA, a bow that is 35# @ 28" draw but 40# at 30" draw is illegal.  It matters not what the individual draws the bow to.  If it does not hit 40# at the 28" draw mark, it's illegal to hunt with.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Oregon states that it is 40 lb at the normal draw length of the hunter, 50 lb for elk. I have a Samik sage that "says" 45 lb on the limbs, but on a scale it is right at 57 lbs at 29.5 inches. Perfectly legal for elk but to avoid problems I use a different bow.

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Just spoke to LT Todd Tobey, McAlester game warden, (918) 429-3908 and he said that if your bow says 40# or more and 28” or more then you are legal. I spesificaly asked “If I was hunting and you came up to me to inspect my equipment and the sticker on my bow said 43@30” what would be your response” LT Tobey responded with “your perfectly legal, have a nice day” …. By all means do your due diligence and don’t take what someone said they heard over the internet, but according to the McAlester game warden your fine. Enjoy your hunt!!!

Offline bowheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
when I am checking a person bow in field first thing we look at is lbs# wrote or stamped on the bow compound,or Trad bow if not marked we just ask so be careful  how you answer and stamp your bow about 5 # over your state min .#50 IS A SAFE BET ...I am no warden just a hunter asking questions in the field trying see what lb most people hunt with .90% say they draw 1  inch more than their correct draw length with Trad ,compound have a back wall. Beware  your mouth(EGO) is your worse piece of movable equipment.
The Rock-Star of Trad-Talk

White Wolf Max P 40-55 lb adjustable longbow..

Border Harrier #53 carbon fast as A BOW CAN BE.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
Here in Pa. I don't trust the wardens to much, so I always hunted with a bow marked correctly. Hunters choice, but I don't care to give them anymore cash then I have to. LOL!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©