3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: minimum legal draw weight  (Read 790 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: minimum legal draw weight
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
This hunt is held on Federal land and is under their jurisdiction.  Have you ever dealt with a military MP and had a problem.  We did at McAlester a few years back.  We missed the turn into the shoot and after turning around stopped and took a pic of a MOAB mock up they have.  It was cool until the MPs showed up at the shoot and tried to take the camera.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
This hunt is held on Federal land and is under their jurisdiction.  Have you ever dealt with a military MP and had a problem.  We did at McAlester a few years back.  We missed the turn into the shoot and after turning around stopped and took a pic of a MOAB mock up they have.  It was cool until the MPs showed up at the shoot and tried to take the camera.

Mike
Only dealt with Military Police everyday for 6 years. I think this is being nuked out a little bit. if the op's bow is marked 40@28" OR more how could it be illegal?
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
It's not marked 40 @ 28, it's 38 @ 28 and that's the problem.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »

Mike
Mike, i understand that. But if he gets the bow remarked 43@30" then what would the problem be?
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2bird:

Mike
Mike, i understand that. But if he gets the bow remarked 43@30" then what would the problem be? [/b]
I can't speak to OK law, but what the bow draws at 30" is irrelevant if the law states a certain poundage at 28" draw.  Here it's 40 @ 28".  43 @ 30" would be illegal to hunt with if it's drawing 38 @ 28".  The draw weight at 28" must be 40# or more.  Not sure about OK, but that's how it is here.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline Jb Phipps

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
I can understand their desire for a simple, easy to enforce rule whether it makes sense to me or not.  After reading all your replies I'm seeing that maybe they simply want to know what the weight is at 28". It's their chosen point of reference.  My draw length is not a factor to them I suppose.  I could mark the bow 43#@30" but they can simply say that doesn't give them the info they want.  It may just be one of those arbitrary laws that I have to live with.

I'll take a heavier bow with me and check out the scene before hunting with my Whip if I think they'll be cool with it.  I actually just ordered a heavier Whip but the delivery will be cutting it very close.  I'm not getting my hopes up.  I specified 50# at 30" but maybe I need to have him mark the 28" weight to be safe.  Should be 45# or so.

Thanks for all your replies!

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
Talking with different game wardens will get you very different answers, it's like asking politicians for an honest answer or a yes or no answer.

I think putting 40#@28" will take care of it.

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
Up here it's pretty simple....40# @ 28" for deer, 50# @ 28" for black bear and moose..of course it's converted to METRIC...
 When the Conservation Officer checks your bow, it doesn't matter what it says on it as far as the weight at a certain draw length...it had better be what the regulations state..40# @ 28" etc or more on "HIS" bow scale or else...PAY-UP.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
In Illinois the rule is "A bow must at least have 40 pounds of draw weight at some point within a 28 inch draw".  So if my bow is marked at least 40# @ 28", I am good.  I don't think the game wardens in Illinois care what my DL is.  They have determined that a bow marked 40# @ 28" is lethal enough for hunting.

Steve
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE:
Here in WA, a bow that is 35# @ 28" draw but 40# at 30" draw is illegal.  It matters not what the individual draws the bow to.  If it does not hit 40# at the 28" draw mark, it's illegal to hunt with.
This right here^

I don't know why this is even a discussion. If the law states '40# @ 28"' Then, the bow must pull 40# @ the 28" mark. You might get a level headed warden that lets you go, but just because one says it's ok, doesn't mean he speaks for every LEO out there. LEO opinion doesn't matter, they are often wrong. It is the written law that matters and that is what you will be judged by if you are brought before a judge, or if you fight the ticket before a judge. I'm no lawyer, but I guarantee any lawyer would tell you that it would be illegal regardless if you draw past 28".

Technicalities aside, if you just marked the bow as 43# or 43# @ 28", it is very unlikely that a LEO will take the time to weigh your bow. You might be lying and technically breaking the law, but you would be within the spirit of the law in my mind so I would have a clear conscious, but it depends how your moral compass guides you and if  you're willing to take the risk. After all, if Barney Fife gets all technical and breaks out the scale then you're caught.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
Well if it says "40 @ 28" it means just that.  If you are shooting less then that your bow is illegal.

It may not be right but it's what it is.

Mike
X2. In Illinois, it says 40#@28" and that's exactly what the law requires.

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
Simple solution...move to Missouri where there isn't a minimum draw weight.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
Colorado has a minimum 35#.  No mention of draw length!  As pertains to CO, you can't rely on the language in the big game brochure.  If you read the actual statute for any of our hunting and fishing brochures you find additional language that may or may not be relevant to your situation.

The bow I'll Hunt with this year exceeds the letter of the law but has no markings on it.  No warden I ever met in the field ever asked questions about my bow.  I doubt if they have any provision in the field to check draw weight.  

Scenario;  warden examines bow in the field.  There are no markings.  Warden produces a scale and checks draw weight then cites hunter for being under.

Hunter goes to court and challenges the accuracy of the scale.  Hunter requests a certificate of accuracy for the scale that precedes the date of the citation.  Hunter requests a demonstration of the accuracy of the scale in court.  Wonder what the outcome would be?

I'm not a hair splitter and not at all adversarial, but you have to consider that those are just a few of the things that the warden and the prosecutor might anticipate and probably serve to discourage attempts to enforce this type of law.

Years back the CO regs said the bow had to be able to cast an arrow a certain minimum distance.  Wouldn't that field check be a hoot!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »
Establishing minimum limits for archery equipment comes down to game managers trying to ensure that weapons are reasonably adequate for the purpose (clean kills).  Some states also disallow .22 caliber firearms for hunting deer, again in consideration of general adequacy.  Light equipment can kill but sometimes there's a fine line between being adequate and being risky.  State regs walk that line all the time.  

Experienced wardens have seen lots of tricks.  Re-labeling bow's specs (especially if poorly done) might invite suspicion even if intent was to clarify rather than mislead.  Why invite potential trouble?  

If it were me I'd use a heavier bow.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
To me this is a mute point as I shoot 53#'s on all my bows.  Certain game has a minimum draw of 50# up here and others have minimum of 45#.

What surprises me, and mind you I have never been check, but I met a Wildlife Trooper here in Alaska that has an unfletched arrow in his truck that is marked from 24" to 32".  In theory he would have you draw the bow back to anchor and take a measurement reading.  Compare that to the specs on your bow and give +/- 2lbs per inch.

Pretty simple to me.  I think it's the most thought out process for determining poundage that I've heard so far.  Granted published weights on bows is a crap shoot in many cases.

Anyway, that's what I got.
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
Here is Illinois' law. The bow must be drawn to 40# at some point within 28." If you draw beyond 28"  to reach 40#,  it is illegal.

"Legal Archery Equipment
• A long, recurve or compound bow with a minimum pull of 40 pounds at some point within a 28-inch draw."

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
Phone a CO and ask, they don't bite. locally it changes, in Saskatchewan min. is 40 lbs.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Jb Phipps

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 01:12:00 AM »
Well, I emailed Dan Toelke and told him my predicament.  By the end of the day he emailed back and said he got my new bow started early so I'll get it in plenty of time to get it dialed in and get some arrows set up for it before my hunt.  I asked him to label it at 28" (should be about 45#) just to be safe.  That's customer service at its best!  Thanks Dan.

I like the Alaska trooper's method of carrying an arrow to measure your draw length best.  The 40# @ 28" reg is so arbitrary.  My 9 year old son can dray my 38# bow to his 19 inch draw length easily so I know he could draw 2 pounds more.  That means he would be legal with a 40@28 bow even though he is only pulling 15-20 pounds at his length.  I wouldn't let him do it but it demonstrates the absurdity of the regulation.  Sorry to whine, I'm sure somebody put a lot of thought into that law.  It is what it is and Dan's got me fixed up so problem solved.  Thanks again for the replies.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
In 10 years of bow hunting in Ohio, I have never had anyone check my bow. Actually, I've never even had a conservation officer talk to me while bow hunting.

Gun season.... I've been checked, but never during bow season. No idea why, but I'm guessing it will never be a problem. My bow is well above legal minimum though, so it isn't a worry.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »
Question. If the law says 40# at 28" draw, does it address the archer's draw length? If the bow has these specs, and the law does not specifically state that it has to be drawn this distance, an argument can be made that any bow that draws 40# at 28" is legal, based on the language of the law, regardless of the archer's draw length. Any lawyers in the crowd who can speculate on this.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©