3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: minimum legal draw weight  (Read 789 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: minimum legal draw weight
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
That is one side of the problem with this law.  It doesn't specifically call that out.  A 40 # at 28" bow drawn only 26" is apparently technically legal, but a 38# at 28" bow drawn to 30" is not.

Ove time, these can be changed, but only by addressing it with the folks in charge and enlightening them.  

Is there a way to word it so that it works ? AND,

in reality, truthfully, I also have never been checked for this (I have hardly EVER been checked by a warden while bowhunting) in my bowhunting career.  

Is this one of those rules that, for most states and for most CO's is meant to be a guidance and not worth fussing with unless it is obviously abused ?
ChuckC

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hummer3T:
Phone a CO and ask, they don't bite. locally it changes, in Saskatchewan min. is 40 lbs.
As sensible as that sounds what the call might do is remind that CO that they maybe ought to be checking more...my wise old dad taught me long ago "if you might not like the answer do not ask the question"

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
And then. . .  there is the train of thought that says not everybody can do everything.  I wanted to be a brain surgeon, but I am too stupid.

The minimum draw rules are really not all that high.  If you can't physically draw that much for a shot or two, are you really gonna be able to handle the rest of the story ?  Climbing a tree.. putting up a treestand.. climbing a mountain, dressing out that bull, carrying the meat out,dragging that deer etc ?

If you are strong-like-bull, but just can't handle the bow because of shoulder issues, well, maybe this is the time to use technology rather than just see how low you are allowed to go.  

In spite of our teasing, it is not a sin, and in fact I bet the vast majority of us would rather see you do what it takes to do it right, than see how low you can go.

I admit, I am ( so far, knock on wood) not even close to the lower limit and it doesn't usually even enter my mind.  
ChuckC

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
I believe the law should specify the draw weight at your draw length,there's to many variables otherwise.I have a factory produced bow that maybe at the time of testing the draw weight was correct but it certainly is not now,time and weather will do that.Also some bows may not be marked or marking is not readable.A Wardens discretion is key.

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
2bird called the base and the base warden seems to be very understanding, but I fully agree that if there are going to be minimums, there should some reasonable latitude built into it.  The odd part is that numbers on bows are just numbers, I have seen some under forty pound bows that can shoot the same arrow at the same draw as fast as some 50 pound bows.  I suppose they are thinking that putting an absolute into a law is better than nothing, but it quite often is not objective logic.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
Kentucky doesn't have a minimum draw weight.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »
here in Mass as long as it says 40# on the bow they leave it at that and could careless how far you draw it,, if you happen to over draw a bow that says #35 to legally make the 40 you better hope you have an understanding game warden who understands the draw vs poundage factor because most of the game wardens here shoot compounds.
"Us vs Them"

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
Another factor is how the makers mark their bows.  If you read the AMO standard, it allows marking a bow at a nice round number as long as it is within a certain number of pounds.  If you look at the bows by the big factory builders, their bows are mostly marked at nice round numbers in increments of 5#. That means if you take the makers mark for fact, you may be under weight.

OTOH, most of the custom builders seem inclined to mark them at the actual measured weight.

Then there is the question of whether or not the warden knows how to measure bow weight correctly.

The trooper in Alaska seems to be writing citations with an arbitrary assumption that every bow gains two pounds per inch.  NOT!

None of the archery equipment regulations seem to address really.  In the end, the desired outcome is to push a Sharp broadhead through both lungs.  There are too many equipment variables to adequately regulate that unless we require very heavy bows and heavy arrows.  That's unlikely to happen since hunters and manufacturers would resist.

Colorado allows a bow hunter to pursue elk with a 35# bow and a 250 grain arrow.  Or, a 35# compound with an over draw and a 200 grain arrow with a mechanical head!  Wonder how many hunters select marginal equipment simply because the wildlife dept seems to endorse it?  The only ones in CO who seem to be critical of the reg are the bow hunters.

IMO it's better to rely on education by the wildlife dept and bow hunting organizations.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
Virginia here -- this is what's on our books: "Arrows used for hunting big game must have a minimum width head of 7/8 of an inch, and the bow used for such hunting must be capable of casting a broadhead arrow a minimum of 125 yards." No mention of poundage at all
Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
Glad Dan got things worked out so you won't have to worry about it.

There is no minimum draw weight here in Tx.

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©