3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow tuning question  (Read 232 times)

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow tuning question
« on: August 18, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
So I built some arrows for one of my bows and realize that when I accidentally short draw at all, they are a bit stiff. They are 28.5" gold tip tradional 5575s with wraps on the nock end. The arrows that I find fly perfectly always are 29" of the same arrows. Both are with 300 grains up front. Id like to counteract the stiffness of the arrows that I have made caused by the weight of the wraps and the .5" difference in length.

I want to do this by adding weight to the insert. I know gold tip makes additional insert weights that can be added. Does anyone know if there is a way to calculate how much weight that would be?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Arrow tuning question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
Most inserts come in weight differences of 25 grains, i.e., 50, 75, 100 grains. 10 grains on the back end of the arrow does increase the spine a bit, but shortening the shaft by a half-inch increases it even more.  25 grains would likely handle one or the other, but I'm thinking 50 will be needed to handle both, plus an occasional short draw. Only way to know for sure is to try each.  Of course, working on your form so you don't short draw is also a good idea. Good luck.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
So what are you hunting that you need an arrow of that much weight to have perfect flight to kill...many deer have been killed over the years with arrows that fly less than perfectly

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »
There's no way to calculate it exactly but I'd experiment with a 25 gr heavier field point first.If that is too much weight,try 15 grs.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
I hunt deer, bear, and pigs.  I'm a student of the ashby studies and have loved the penetration I've gotten with heavy weight up front.  Pigs are extremely hard to penetrate and bears are extremely heavy boned.  I also shoot 2" wide tree sharks so I like a lot of umph with my arrows.  

I'd love to get my form worked out but I've suffered from target panic for years and done everything under the sun except try a clicker.  I'm ordering one of those today.  It is really debilitating for me sometimes.  I seem to shoot well in most of hunting situations though and even if I short draw, the arrow goes where I look.  That's not nearly so true on target shooting.  Anyway, I want to make sure my arrows are always perfect no mater if I'm a half inch short or not.  

This particular bow has been very finicky for me to get dialed in but a lot of that might be my TP issues.  My widow and my howatt will shoot darts no matter how I'm shooting on any particular day and I want that from this one too.  

Thanks.  I'll get some screw in insert weights that attach to the back of the insert and dabble.

ps- two years ago I killed a two hundred plus pound bear as it climbed down a tree.  The arrow entered just in front of the flank, passed length wise through the entire body and out the sternum bone.  The tree shark then stuck in the tree so deep that when she dropped, it broke the arrow at the insert.  

That's why I shoot 600 plus grain arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©