3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toelke: Pika or Whip??  (Read 1585 times)

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Toelke: Pika or Whip??
« on: August 19, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
So with all of the constant praise over Toelke I have finally decided I am going to have to try one..

Now I am hoping for some feedback/suggestions on which one!

I draw 27" and prefer somewhere around #55.

I currently love my 60" TallTines Stickflinger, but am wanting to go a litte more compact on this one.

My thoughts are either 58" whip or 56" Pika.. I will most likely go takedown. I really do not want to sacrifice on forgiveness, so I am a little reluctant to go with the Pika on such a light petite frame. I am used to heavier 3 piece bows so the light weight 1 or 2 piece bow is going to be a little new to me..

Those of you that have experience with one or both, I would really appreciate your feedback!

thank you.

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toelke: Pika or Whip??
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
I have owned and shot Whips for years and was recently at Dan's while on a fly fishing trip and shot an in-stock 56" Pika. I draw 29" and found the bow to be a pleasure, very similar to the Whip. You should contact Dan, his advice will be spot-on and I suspect you can easily shoot a 54" Pika and "forgiveness" is a quality found in every bow Dan crafts.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
I've owned them both and currently have a 56" Pika and a 56" Chinook recurve but have owned several Whips in the past.  Both the Whip and Pika are great shooters and I feel you will be happy with both.  I honestly cannot tell much difference between either, as they both have the same grip and the difference between each would be negligible.  Like Jim said above, speak with Dan, as he is a wealth of information and will work with you to ensure your purchase is exact.

Best of luck and be sure to post pics when it arrives (normally within 3-4 weeks).
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
Ask Dan to put some Micarta in the riser. I have it in my light weight thunderhorn and it makes a big difference in stability when used to heavier three piece bows.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
IMHO if you're talking 58" Whip vs 56" Pika I would do the Pika.  Its only 2" less but has a more forward set pivot point at the handle, which to me is worth more than 2" length, so will actually be more stable than the 2" longer Whip.  If you're gonna go Whip I'd just do 60"+ if anything.  The 2pc option will add the mass of Micarta and the stainless steel Bow-bolt.  If you do a 1pc you'll want the riser solid Micarta for the mass and probably plan on using a bow quiver with what you said about being used to higher mass bows.  

Call Dan.  He's the man.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
Great info so far guys..

I will prob lean towards the Pika but then there are wood choices!

Let's see your Toelke's!

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
I have 27" draw and shot both side by side.  I came home with 58" whip.  Just shot it better and i liked grip better.  I would highly reccomend spending the extra for a 2 piece.  The convenience and especially the added weight is priceless.  Such a quality bow.  I can not say enough good about it.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
Not one of your choice's...but if your talking Toelke's....2 pc. Chinook would be my choice...and I'm a longbow guy...!! I just picked up one and this thing is amazing...!! As quiet as my longbow's and just as quick, and an awesome grip..!!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guss:
Not one of your choice's...but if your talking Toelke's....2 pc. Chinook would be my choice...and I'm a longbow guy...!! I just picked up one and this thing is amazing...!! As quiet as my longbow's and just as quick, and an awesome grip..!!
Chinook is my favorite model as well.  Blindfolded you couldn't tell it's a recurve.  Quiet as a Whip but faster.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
Tough choice! I like that new Pika. If there was a 62" version, id be on it! Or a 62" Chinook for that matter, that id really love to see.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 02:54:00 AM »
Yup, me too. Love the lines of that little Pika, got a 31" draw, Dan advised against it..
Can't help but wonder if a 60" version would do the trick without losing anything??..

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
Thanks guys, great advice so far!

I would still like to see little show and tell if you guys wouldn't mind reaching down into your photobucket!?

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©