3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Removing Rust/Discoloration From A Knife Blade  (Read 580 times)

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
Removing Rust/Discoloration From A Knife Blade
« on: August 19, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
I was going to post this in the Hunting Knives and Crafters forum, but after reading what was allowed there, I wasn't sure if I should.

I have an old unmarked hunting knife with a stacked leather handle, and a nice carbon steel blade.

I've had it in a closet for years, and have kept it oiled, but when I got it out the other day, I noticed some rust on the blade.

After cleaning it up the best I could, I'm left with some dark, discoloration on the blade where the rust was. It's not really pitted, but more discolored than anything.

I'd like to make a sheath for it, and get some use out of the old knife. Maybe get some blood on it this fall. It's made with good steel, and really holds an edge.

Not that it really affects anything other than the looks, but I'd like to get rid of the off color, if possible. What would you suggest to accomplish this, and maybe get rid of some scratches on the blade, as well?

Bob

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing Rust/Discoloration From A Knife Blade
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
I just took it out in the sun for a better look, and noticed that the blade is stamped Jean Case Cut Co. I'd never noticed it before.

I shouldn't say stamped, because It's not actually stamped into the blade.

I'm editing this to say that I just looked it up, and it appears to be older than I thought.

I guess from what I've found so far jean was involved more in the sales aspect of the business around 1900. Don't know for sure yet why his name is on it, but it's pretty cool. I'll look into it some more.  

Bob

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
It may be that it is an old carbon steel blade.  They will patina after years of use.  Alot of guys, me included, like that old grey patina.  I search high and low for old carbon steel kitchen knives at antique stores and garage...just to find those old blades.

Bill-
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
Sorry...but I don't know what will get rid of that dark patina.

Bill-
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
I put them on a bench wire wheel and then light sanding with emery cloth. Put on a fresh edge, then oil, then call it good. I also like some of those character marks....

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
I edited my last post to include some info I just found online. Maybe I shouldn't monkey with it, and use it as is. It's got some pretty cool history behind it.

Bob

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
If it is just the patina on the carbon blade Flitz metal polish will get it off with some work but the patina acts as a rust preventor just like the blueing on a gun barrel and helps protect it some if taken care of.Hope this helps
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

The blade does have a nice patina on it, but what I'm referring to, is an almost black color that was under the actual rust spots.

There isn't a lot of it, but I'm mad at myself for letting it happen. I've kept it oiled for years, but haven't thought of it for a while, and it rusted in a few spots.

It's one of my Grandfathers old knives. I usually carry the old Schrade Walden sheath knife that he used, or my Dads old Case knife, but I thought of this one sitting in the closet today. It's still in good shape, so I figured I'd spend some time hunting with it this fall.

I still can, and will, but I should have my butt kicked for letting this happen.

Bob

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
Not sure if you want to clean it now but one thing to try is 0000 steel wool and mineral oil.If that doesn't get it use fine emory cloth wrapped around a file.That should take care of scratches and all but will also remove the patina.Keep it oiled after.I'd suggest mineral oil.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
At this point, I'm not either, lol. If I decide to clean it up, and I may, I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks Jim.

Bob

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »
I would just leave it as is and enjoy it and the memories it holds and build some of your own to add to it.

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
howabout a can of oven cleaner and a scrubby pad, should only remove whats not steel. I have an old knife I might try this on.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
Try Simichrome or flitz. What that doesn't get off , leave. Other abrasives will scratch the blade.
DonD

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
Pencil eraser works well sometimes.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »
Never tried this on a knife blade but I've used it on old military guns. It will take surface rust off without leaving any scratches. I use Kroil as a medium. I'm a big fan and it's 1,000 times better than 0000 steel wool.

http://www.big45.com/
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
Mother's chrome polish works really well on my knives.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice everybody, I appreciate all your help. I still haven't decided whether to clean it up, or not.

I thought I had a piece of leather that would work for a sheath, but I must of used it for something else at some point, and don't remember it. I'm batting a thousand today.  :rolleyes:  

Thanks again.

Bob

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
toothpaste.  Dab some on a paper towel and get your finger wet and get teh grit you needs by moving the paste around. You can use it with a lot of grit or just a little.  I also use pencil erasers to take off rust w/o getting harsh.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
I never would have thought of tooth paste, thanks.
If I do decide to clean her up, I'll post before and after pics.

I've got another question for you, if you don't mind. If I do decide to go that route, is there something you'd put on the stacked leather handle to protect it. I'm sure it originally had some kind of preservative on it.

Bob

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
Bob,I refurbished a leather handled,Estwing hand ax last year that had the same issues.I used emory cloth and probably Scotchbrite pads to remove the rust and then put a coat of paste wax on the steel.

Much of the varnish was gone from the leather handle and what had remained,was yellowed.I block sanded the handle till all the old finish was gone and all the leather looked clean then brushed on a coat or two of Future floor finish.That stuff is water clear,flexible and water clean up.It is often used on holsters,sheaths etc.Thinned 50/50 with water,it is the best sealer I've found for skulls.When done,the handle looked brand new and still had excellent grip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©