3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The WW2 Mountain Archer  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
The WW2 Mountain Archer
« on: August 20, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
Howdy folks,

I work with heroes.  Specifically, I belong to a group that supports and assists the veterans of the WW2 10th Mountain Division - the 'Ski Troopers' here in Colorado.  Their story is an amazing one and deserving of retelling but this tale is of one of them in particular, PFC Ralph Hulbert.

Before I even knew his name, I'd heard his story - the legend of the mountain trooper that took a takedown longbow to the front lines in Italy. For a long time it remained a legend, with very few specifics on who this man was or the veracity of the claim.  Fast forward (past months of interviews, reading and research) and we finally have the answers.  Here's a synopsis of the larger, longer and more detailed write-up.

Ralph Hulbert began his archery career at the age of 6, having learned from his father.  He grew up in Massachusetts like many of us did - hunting and fishing and enjoying the outdoors.  He was therefore a top candidate for the Army's new division - a division comprised entirely of expert outdoorsmen, skiers, rangers, horsemen and mountain climbers.  Unlike the rest of the army, a recruit needed three letters of reference to even be considered for the 10th Mountain.  Hulbert easily garnered these letters and was quickly accepted and transported to Camp Hale, Colorado, altitude 9,300' in February of 1943.

Among his other training, PFC Hulbert scored 'Expert' on the rifle range and as a result was made a company sniper.  In WW2 this meant that he was issued an M1903A4 scoped rifle and a .45 pistol as a secondary weapon.  However, because of his reputation as an archer, company brass 'suggested' that a bow might be useful on night patrols...without giving it an official sanction.

Said Ralph, "Being as I was the only archer in the division at the time, the idea was not pleasant."  But, orders are orders, even if unofficial and Hulbert packed his bow and arrows in his duffle and shipped out in late 1944 for the Italian Alps with the 86th Mountain Infantry Regiment.

His bow was a private purchase, takedown longbow with a draw weight of 93#.  (Yes, ninety-three) As you'll see in the pictures below, it has a leather wrapped grip. Top and Bottom limbs are joined at the grip socket and secured with a single screw in the grip. It's 59 1/4" long unstrung.  Appears to be two wood types, dark on the belly and light on the back, laminated together. It's in remarkable condition considering the rough treatment it surely received by the QM department and being drug up and down the mountains of Northern Italy.
Other than Hulbert's name stamped on the leather grip, there are no markings.

Hulbert from a 2001 New York Post article.  The bow and the two remaining 'war arrows' are on the wall to the left.  

That PFC Hulbert had this bow in training is well documented with photos taken in and around Camp Hale.  However, what intrigued me was, did he actually use it in combat - against a hostile enemy - and was it successful?  The answers to all of these questions is an unqualified yes.  Having found no pictures (not surprising) of Hulbert using the bow in action, I uncovered several references to it in his letters home to his mother. In one telling letter Hulbert says "I'm glad to have my archery equipment with me...there's a pretty good chance it'll be used on some rather 'grim hunts'"

Mr. Hulbert himself was rather quiet on his wartime exploits (not uncommon among the men of the Greatest Generation) but I also have confirmation from a number of his comrades in the division that he did indeed use this bow on several occasions to silence an enemy sentry.

I'll share one more anecdote that I uncovered during my research.  At one point, Hulbert was concerned because he'd lost or broken his last arrow and so wrote back to his mother in the States for more.  When his mother took the bundle of arrows to the post office for shipment she was told that wartime restrictions prevented them from shipping anything that large to an APO.  His mother, thinking quickly, showed the postmaster his letter, requesting more arrows for use against the Nazis - allowing the postmaster to grant a waiver for the package, classifying it as 'war materiel, ammunition'.  He got his arrows, two of which you see in these pictures.

PFC Hulbert is no longer with us, having passed on a few years ago, but his story remains as another fascinating chapter of the legendary 10th Mountain Division.

-Jack

Many thanks to the Denver Public Library Archives and History Colorado for their invaluable assistance in piecing together this bit of our National History.

P.S. - If any of you bow historians recognize the make of this bow, I'd appreciate a PM or a post below. Thanks!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The WW2 Mountain Archer
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
Holy crap now THAT is cool. Talk about archery history...if only that bow could talk. Thanks so much for posting this!!
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
Wow!

THANK YOU for that post....IF ONLY we could sit down and talk to that guy....

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
Can you post a close up of those broadheads ? Please

ChuckC

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
I had heard things about this but did not know if it was a fact.......what a piece of history.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
WOW, thats incredible!!! Thanks for posting this.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
Wow!! That is way cool, I'd love to read more about it!

Steve

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
I have read of him in the past and remain in awe.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
Wow. This is seriously one of the coolest things I've seen on here. Thanks so much for posting it.  I couldn't imagine a 60" 93# bow.  And probably in the freezing cold. I hope someone comes up with more info on the bow and arrows.
   :thumbsup:    :archer2:

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
Interesting read.  Thanks for sharing
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
Some cool history, thanks! Looks like an osage bow backed with sinew.

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
Amazing, thanks for posting this,  93# ol' my!! Somebody get me some Bengay LOL

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
I think I have seen that bow. Was it ever on display at the Colorado History Museum?
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
Here's the broadhead on one of the accompanying arrows to the above bow.  Arrows are POC, painted black, self nocks.  No markings.  29" from broadhead tip to nock.  BH is tiny by today's standards.  Bonehead that I am I forgot to measure it but it's probably 1.25" long and maybe 7/8" wide.

And yes, this bow has been on display but is now tucked away in the vault.

-Jack
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
Thank you for all your research, and sharing that great story with us Jack!!! I'd heard of Mr Hulbert, but didn't really know much about him until reading this.

There are very few people that I've said this about in my life, but but after reading his story, I have a new hero.

Thank you again.

Bob

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
That is a really cool story!

RIP, Mr Hulbert!

Bisch

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Thanks for posting the story!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
This is a really cool story!
Sam

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
I'd read nondescript stories about this in the past.  Thank you so much for sharing what you know!  I've read so much about WWII, I'd certainly like to hear more about what this soldier went through.  I'm going to turn the computer off now, and lay down and appreciate all that this generation was forced to experience.

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
Great story. Thanks for sharing the history.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©