3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone wolf assault/ alpha hang on??  (Read 378 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone wolf assault/ alpha hang on??
« on: August 20, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »
I have alpha hand climber.
I want to get lone wolf hang on. I like the lightness of them assaults. But idk how the platform size would be?

I don't have much with the alpha hand climber. Because the seat don't flip up. But the seat does flip up with the assult hang on. So I guess I would have Same amount of room or more correct?

Any advice?
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone wolf assault/ alpha hang on??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
I have one of the older hand climber stands. I don't love it but its lite and folds down flat. For me, I lose at least one hang on stand per season to thieves  so I stick with the cheap stands. Cheap stands have big platforms too.I can't see spending that kind of $$ on something that might be gone when I get to the bottom of the tree and look up. Just my opinion. Tony Z

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
1) If you actually measure the assault vs alpha- they are virtually the actual size of usable platform.  The biggest difference are the back corners of the alpha- which I have not found useful with my trad bows. And YES- folding the seat up gives you more space.

2) Agree with Tony IF I left stands in the woods. But I never leave a stand in the woods.  Up and back down- under 10 minutes.  Never stolen or weather wear.  Move everyday/throughout the day as needed.  Used the same stand the past 20 years.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 11:01:00 PM »
The seat on the hand climber DOES fold out of the way. Guru did a nice tutorial years ago. Copy and paste this:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=079834#000000

And I agree with Dan. You don't give up any useable space with the Assault.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Yes this is for a daily in and out any tree setup. Won't be left out. I hunt public.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
I have a climber and several Alpha hang ons.  Used to have a few Assaults but sold or traded them for the Alphas.  Agreed that the platform size is almost the same, so is the weight almost the same.  I often stay on stand from dark to dark, 11 or more hours.  During that time, I spend sometime standing.  That's where I find the Alpha more comfortable, versatile than the Assault.  Just a little more room for my feet and to move around and get shots toward the back side of the tree. There's not a big difference. You'll probably like either one.  

I don't use straps between the hand climber and platform on my LW climber, so there's no problem tipping up the seat. The climber platform is the same (size) as the Alpha hang on.  It's just an Alpha turned into a climber.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Thanks guys.
I ordered assault. Does the sticks attach to the assault like they do the alpha?

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
I have 6 assaults and really like them, I have done several all day hunts using them, dunno about the sticks, I run mine up past the stand
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
I have 5 Alphas.  I got a pretty good deal on them and after using them I noticed exactly what Dan said, the corners are unusable space and add unnecessary weight.  Mine are the older models that weigh the same amount as the new Assaults are advertised at. I'm not going to change as I wouldn't be gaining much now. If I were buying new I'd save the weight and go with the Assault.  

I also have the hand climber and after reading the post Steve copied above a couple years ago and using Gurus method I've found you actually have more clearance with the hand climber than with the hang on.  With the hang on you fold the seat up so if you have a shot behind you and close to the tree you're lower limb can still hit the folded up seat (I have a beauty mark on my Black Widow to prove it).   With the hand climber the seat lowers when it folds and gives full clearance.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by RedShaft:
Thanks guys.
I ordered assault. Does the sticks attach to the assault like they do the alpha?
Yep.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys!

Have you guys done any mods to yours?
One thing I want to do is figure a way to fabricate a foot rest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©