3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: smart phone map apps-who uses them?  (Read 809 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: smart phone map apps-who uses them?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
It helps to go to airplane mode while using BCN.

PDK, it took me a while to get comfortable using it but I'm kinda slow on the tech thing.  Get everything downloaded before you leave home.  Be on wi fi when you do.

I have maps downloaded for all of my expeditions planned for this fall.  You can download multiple map sources of the same area and easily switch back and forth while using them.  Once you set waypoints and record tracks they will show on whatever map you are using.

The beta route planner is useless in the mountains.  I tried it once to plan a route along the side of a range of hills and ridges over about a two mile distance. It had me getting back in the car, driving about 12 miles around the desired destination and then climbing straight up a very steep mountain.   :biglaugh:    It was hilarious!

Nevertheless, it was very easy to pick a route and use tracking to check it and modify while hiking.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
Airplane mode next time    :thumbsup:   check! Thanks monterey.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
Last week, my mate was using and app called 'GPS kit' on his iPhone. Excellent app and would not bother getting a GPS as this does it all.
When in service you just zoom into the map areas you want to hunt and it saves it all, so when in the field you can just zoom in and to your location is provided by satellites.
Just wish they had it for Android as well.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
I see they have BCN for $11.99 and a free version.  What is the difference?
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
My favorite iphone app is called "leave it home and pay attention".

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
Maybe it's time I catch up with technology.  But I'm wondering about a few things.

So to save battery drain, you download and save the maps ahead of time and then run in airplane mode. Does the GPS still know your specific location even in airplane mode?  No cell signal needed to know where you are?

When downloading maps are you able to zoom in closer while in the field of do you just see as it displayed when you downloaded it?  How large of an area can you see in detail?

Is OnXMaps a one time purchase or an annual subscription?  It looks like I could buy one product and use it on both my phone and my tablet, correct?

Backcountry Navigator would require a separate purchase for each of my devices?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
 So to save battery drain, you download and save the maps ahead of time and then run in airplane mode. Does the GPS still know your specific location even in airplane mode? No cell signal needed to know where you are?
Yes, you can run in airplane mode to save battery.  Might also prevent your phone from ringing as you draw down on an animal.  :biglaugh:  

I experimented with mine last night and also determined that it will work when the battery saver mode is on.

Backcountry Navigator would require a separate purchase for each of my devices?

I don't know the answer to that.  :confused:  

When downloading maps are you able to zoom in closer while in the field of do you just see as it displayed when you downloaded it? How large of an area can you see in detail?

You open a map source and then select the area you want to download.  Once it is downloaded you can zoom in and out and obtain the same resolution you would have if you were online.

The size of an area that you can see in detail seems to depend on the map source.  Some have higher resolution than others.  

Last night I downloaded a small area in the neighborhood and then drove to my grandsons football practice all the while recording a track.  The two screen shots below are of the same downloaded map with one zoomed in.  The red lines are my out and back track.

Today I downloaded a topo map of the same general area.  When it is opened it shows the track also.  If I had recorded any waypoints they would also show up.  Below are screen shots of the topo map,

There are quite a few map sources available for free download.  I have not looked at all of them as of yet.

Below is another screen shot of an area I might hunt this coming weekend.  Here you have aerial photo with topo lines overlayed on it.

Monterey

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
Whip,there is a one week free download of onxmaps for you to play with.

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »
trimbleoutdoors.com also has a free 7 day trial but I am still experimenting with the onxmaps.   comparing the websites tutorial of the two,  trimbleoutdoors is better for my way of thinking.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
I downloaded the free trials for both OnXMaps and Trimble.  Can't seem to get them to work though. I think it might be because where I live I have slow internet service.  I'll probably have to take my tablet somewhere with a high speed WiFi connection and we what it will do.  The disadvantage of living in the sticks!  But I'll trade slow internet for city living any day.
Sure seems like these would be good maps if I can get them.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
I'm with you huntryx, hunting is a zen moment for myself, a special time to get away into the woods, not to simulate a video game.If you can't tell east from west or triangulate with nothing more than what you find around in your environment what happens when your dependent electronic tech malfunctions.Tech may be good to have if you need it but don't let it distract you from seeing whats in front of you.If your gonna use high tech to hunt why handicap yourself with a bow  get a smart missile and sit on the sofa and press a button. If I offended anyone sorry just my oppinion.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
No offense Mark, but there is a big difference between using a smart missle sitting on the couch versus issuing a map and a gps.  That's all these phone apps really are.  

When I hunt a new area of west I want to have a map of the area.  I also carry a gps with me and use it mostly to mark where camp is in relation to my location or to mark a kill site so that I can find it again easily. I also always have a compass with me and know how to use it if need be.

I like to be able to tell whether the other side of a steep ridge has a deep secluded bowl beyond it or another road full of atv's before I hike up to the top. If you'd rather hike to the top to figure that out more power to you.

These smartphone apps are just a cheaper way to buy the maps that I've been purchasing paper copies of for the past 35 years.  Personally, I don't see why that would be a problem for anyone.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
Double Post
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2015, 08:51:00 PM »
I was able to play around a bit with a couple of apps while visiting my daughter where I could get a decent high speed connection.

The TrimbleOutdoors maps seemed to have what I am looking for.  I like that you could find maps by County, game management unit, or by name for National Parks and wilderness areas.  That made it easy to find and download the maps I needed, and the quality and detail was good while in off line mode.

The OnXMaps were not easy to find for me. I couldn't seem to figure out how to find what I was looking for, but I'll admit I didn't spend a lot of time with it.  I'll have to give it another try before I make a decision and maybe read some tutorials or watch videos to learn how to use the program.  

I'm still not sure that I will like something like this to totally replace a paper map.  It is just so hard to get a big picture view of the whole area, figure out where roads go, etc.  By the time I zoom in close enough to see detail I can't see a very large area.  But for use while in the field I can see where these might work great.

Still lots to learn!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 02:15:00 AM »
I will second Gaia GPS. It's pricy but worth it. One of the neatest features is that you can save the maps you download and the print them for a hard copy back up. I does eat your battery even in airplane mode but, I carry a little charger jic. Really handy for find your spot in the dark. Also I imagine it will really be handy for tracking hit deer if needed as it will track your movements across the map when prompted.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
Mark - one use you may not of thought of is that of boundaries.  Here in NE there are several wildlife management areas.  These are open to the public.  However, many are not clearly marked nor do they have fences in places to know the boundaries.  They do however have gis data you can download.  This can tell you if you are on the WMA land or getting onto private land.  Good Hunting.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
I understand, it does simplify a lot of leg work,especially if you have time limits on the time in the woods,I use mapping and topo tech resources also,but only before I go into the woods, I don't bring them with me. I can see where high tech can get out of hand really fast though, Drones,thermal imaging,night vision,to name a few,and other products and software where you can make the hunt seem like there's no human senses involved.If that is what you like great,but keep it legal and ethical.Myself I go to the woods for more of a  spiritual experience.

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
I still use a compass and a note pad. We don't have good service in my area. The only way I can get a service is from the wifi in my house.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »
Sam, no service required.  Maps are downloaded on WiFi.  Only GPS needed in the field.

I used BCN on an actual hunt yesterday.  It involved descending from 10500 feet to 8600 feet in some very rough country heavily tree'd with lodgepole pines.  Now, I have some physical problems stemming from an accident.  This was the first time in four years that I felt I could handle a Hunt in this kind of country.  BCN made it possible for me to go in and out without getting in a bind.  It also helped keep me off private property that is unmarked on the side that I was approaching from.

This was the first time I've ever used GPS in any form.  Have always been a paper/compass guy.  Still am for that matter, but I'll be using the phone too.
As far as improving my hunting odds, it didn't do so yesterday and never will.
Monterey

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©