3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Most Productive Bowhunting Organizations  (Read 624 times)

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
Most Productive Bowhunting Organizations
« on: August 21, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »
With the recent hunting legislation and lack of democratic process in the state of New York, I wanted to know which organizations are the most productive in fighting for the bowhunter?  I was a member of our state organization for a year but honestly feel as though the DEC has been able to tune them out.  I wanted to know if there was anything else out there with power and influence to stick up for Bowhunting seasons.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most Productive Bowhunting Organizations
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
Usually national organizations don't get involved with the state legislations. That generally is up to your state bowhunting organization. In MD our organization, the Maryland Bowhunting Society, successfully lobbied for Sunday hunting in several counties. It was done by members contacting delegates, showing up in large numbers to testify at hearings, and basically taking on the legislators.

The nationals, PBS, Comptons, and Pope and Young are worthwhile to belong to just to keep your ear to the ground as to what is happening nationwide. I know the three have been involved in promoting bowhunting and standing up for bowhunters but on a national level, most recently in discussions of limiting technology in bowhunting.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
Usually national organizations don't get involved with the state legislations. That generally is up to your state bowhunting organization.
The nationals, PBS, Comptons, and Pope and Young are worthwhile to belong to just to keep your ear to the ground as to what is happening nationwide. I know the three have been involved in promoting bowhunting and standing up for bowhunters but on a national level, most recently in discussions of limiting technology in bowhunting.
agreed, in Arkansas our state bowhunting assn. has become more tournament oriented than hunting, we are kinda left hanging like it sounds you are
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »
your own state bowhunting organization!  first and foremost, join at home and help out!

past that, the ones mentioned by reddogge are great choices.  bowhunting has and will continue to come under fire.  get in there and fight
is it September yet??

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
NYB is the only organization fighting for bowhunters rights in NY. What makes the DEC feel they can do whatever they want in archery season ? It's the 99 percent of bowhunters who do nothing to let them know otherwise . We are all volunteers who donate countless hours and our own money to stand up for all the bowhunters in the state. The list of accomplishments that we have made happen is long and enjoyed by every bowhunter in the state but most have no idea and never lifted a finger to help. If you are interested in joining the fight PM me we need a rep in Region 9 and the reward will outweigh the commitment . I (we) look forward to your help.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
Everyone should belong to their state organization, period.  After that join any other group you believe in.  I belong to PBS and MTBH.
habujohn

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 11:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by habujohn:
Everyone should belong to their state organization, period.  After that join any other group you believe in.  I belong to PBS and MTBH.
I agree with this^^^. Esp if you are not in a position to help out/participate. At least be a member, and make the group a larger number.

Bisch

Offline Sharp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 01:36:00 AM »
State Orgs are the grass roots.  Be a member if you can.
PBS Associate Member
Lone Star Bow Hunters Association

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 07:27:00 AM »
Joining is the first step but don't send your dues in and think you have done everything you can to protect your archery season. You should be attending local meetings and watching what you your game departments are doing. You should be contacting your local and state representive and educating them about archery . You will need to write emails and letters make phone calls and possibly travel to your state capital. If everyone does a little it's easy but when only a few carry everyone it's tough .
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
Michigan is fortunate to have several archery organizations.  The Michigan Bow Hunters seems to take the lead in the state capital.  They stay on top of most legislation that pertains to the DNR in our state and keeps us informed in our news letter as to what is going on.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
I'm a member of the NY Bowhunters and have read what they are trying to accomplish in NY, along with the DEC's actions.

It seems to me that the DEC (New York State Department of Environmental Conservation) has a function which is beyond the specifics of bowhunting.  In certain areas (and one is in the area where I live) the deer are seriously overpopulating.  And, frankly, bowhunters are not going to fix the problem since they only take about 15% of the deer.

I agree with NY Bowhunters that the New DEC rules for our area won't accomplish the task of reducing deer numbers, but, I suspect more serious population control regulations will be in our future.  These regulations will likely involve different types of hunting during those time slots previously allocated exclusively to bowhunters.

For so many years we've been very fortunate to have the rut during our season.  But, there's nothing written in stone saying it has to remain that way.

The solution is to kill more deer before the cars do. And, frankly, that ain't easy!!
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wapiti Chaser:
NYB is the only organization fighting for bowhunters rights in NY. What makes the DEC feel they can do whatever they want in archery season ? It's the 99 percent of bowhunters who do nothing to let them know otherwise . We are all volunteers who donate countless hours and our own money to stand up for all the bowhunters in the state. The list of accomplishments that we have made happen is long and enjoyed by every bowhunter in the state but most have no idea and never lifted a finger to help. I (we) look forward to your help.
You have to support your own States bowhunting organization.  It is well worth the small dues.  There is power in numbers to help support NYB!!  In a state like NY I am sure it is critical to show strength in numbers.   :help:  

Nationally check out Compton, PBS and P&Y
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
Do your best to support your State org.  That may mean stirring up new membership.  The Iowa Bowhunters Assn. is one of the, if not "the" strongest bowhunting, deer hunting and conservation lobbies in our State.  It takes a quality group of members to keep the train on the track. You need good people who are willing to get political and make the contacts when needed.  If any Iowa TG members are interested in joining and have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
I hunt out of state a lot. I try to join the state biwhunting organization of the state I will be hunting each year. Some are definitely better than others. For example, I've hunted in Wyoming enough and am so impressed with what they do, I became a life member of the Bowhunters of Wyoming. It is very important to support the groups that support biwhunting.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
I'm a lifetime member of my state org. Highly recommend it! I like Steve O's strategy!

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 08:06:00 AM »
I have been an officer in one of our state's bowhunting associations for the past seven years and it is very frustrating to personally know dozens of bowhunters who are not members and to have members who do not participate in any club activities. We just lost the crossbow battle and I strongly think that if more bowhunters would have participated in the cause the outcome would have been different.

Darren

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
I joined my state bowhunting assoc in 1983 to help fight the xgun crowd... After exactly 30 years in 2013, they infiltrated and overtook changes in the bylaws for acceptance and conquered the reason I joined to begin 30 some years ago... Left a very bitter taste in my mouth, and doubt I'll ever join another bowhunting organization again... I'm done with organizations...

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
As a guy who spends a lot of time in the capitol building I can tell you that joining your state org is a good move. I don't always win but I cannot ever win without the numbers behind the cause. You will not always see the results you want by just being a member but trust me it helps.

Steve O is a great example of someone who supports Bowhunting around the nation. He follows it and he helps me often see or think in a different view so I can present it to the State orgs more efficiently.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
I'm constantly amazed and appalled by the number of guys who claim to be hard core bowhunters, but won't join or support the organizations who preserve the sport. Lots of excuses out there but none that stand up to scrutiny.
Some say I can't afford it. Huh?  Most state organizations have dues of $25- $35 a year. Most of us piss that much away on stuff like soda at a gas station in a couple weeks. Don't likw what the organization is doing or stands for?  You can't change that unless you join and work it.
Get out there and do something!
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
I for one am not a member of my state's bowhunting organization. Nor will I support them as long as they support the crossbow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©