3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Squirrel Calling  (Read 494 times)

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
Squirrel Calling
« on: October 12, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
I received my Trad Gang DVD yesterday. One thing I was impressed by was the squirrel calling. What kind of call were they using? Also what works for you? I really like Dean Torges quiver!!

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Squirrel Calling
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 07:12:00 AM »
I was just thinking the same thing!
Also, does the call only work on Fox Skwerls, or does it also bring in Greys?
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »
One word about squirrel calling   :)  .  I have a squirrel honey hole that I have hunted for 20 yrs.  I have used several different calls in the wood all that time.  Last spring I was in the woods not giving a thought to anything but finding squirrel.  I was standing a little in front of a pecan tree in some privet bushes.  I turned around back to the pecan tree to move and there I was standing about 2 feet under a bob cat that was tring to decided just what kinda squirrel that was making all the fuss.

rusty -to big to be cat food- Craine

ps: at least bob cat food..courger is another sotryh i guess  :)

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
Those were Haydel squirrel calls. Like calling all game animals sometimes they work great, sometimes not so great, and sometimes the squirrels ignore you altogether. The squeelers seem to work best in the earlier seasons, probably because there are still younger squirrels in the woods.

I'll be squirrel hunting again with John, Spud, and Dean in Decemebr or early January. We'll be using dogs this time but I will make a point of getting good footage of John using the calls and giving more complete instructions on their use. John uses a very aggressive method different from how these calls are normally used or what you normally hear from squirrels.
Tom Mussatto

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
Thanks Tom, I know that call works on dogs, man my wifes little dog went crazy when the DVD was playing. She went outside, and went on squirrel search and kill,

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Tom

Ask John who turned him onto those calls  :)

He didn't believe me when I told him how they work when you hit it right, but when you do they'll run right up your leg if your not careful.

They are sold as "Mr. Squirrel" squirrel call.  Used to get em at Wally's.  Read the back and follow the instructions, thrash a small tree around, the more noise the better.  A buddy of mine in Northern IN told me about these 7 or 8 years ago and I thought he'd been tipping the jug a little.  I picked one up and couldn't believe the results.

Have had grays bark at me when calling, but never had one come in like the fox squirrels do.

Have called in several hawks and owls, crows all the time, two coyotes and a red fox.  These calls are a blast!

Big fun was having John's older brother Art hold his little rat terrier in his arms while I called, then shooting the squirrel with a blunt and releasing the dog.  If the squirrel was not killed outright the dog would tree the squirrel for follow up shot.  That there is redneck good times!

The only downside is you call a VERY high percentage of female squirrels in.  Be careful early in the season or you can orphan little ones.

R

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
Oh yeah, I havent seen the video, but I assume you're talking about John Hale?

If not strike the part about me showing them the call....but the rest still applies!

R

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
Yep, John Hale. Fun guy to spend time in the woods with, as I'm sure you know. He's taken some dandy bucks over the years too.

I've been using those calls for years and have never seen anyone use them as aggressively as John. Once he starts he don't stop....even after a squirrel is hit. I just hoot'em to sound like what I hear young lost or injured squirrels do with lots of breaks between calling. Both methods seem to work on the days when they are responding.
Tom Mussatto

Offline ejes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
When I was a kid, my Grandpa would make those out of bottle caps.  He would wedge and crimp them together or glue them and then drill a hole through them.  I would get the Haydel's though, 'cause I can't believe I never swallowed one without the lanyard and carrying it in my mouth as we walked the river beds!     :D     Plus the Haydels is much smoother in your mouth.

Sometimes I'll use a hawk call with it too.  Seems to get the rabbits and squirrels to freeze for a shot sometimes.

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
many, many years ago we used a barking call for gray's quite a bit, which is the only brand of squirrel we had in the S fl area.  :)  This thread got me to wondering where the heck that call ended up too. It was a tubular plunger sort thing, just tap the end against your leg or something and wait for a response. Never tried a squeal call, but the barking call always seemed to get some attention as long as it was when they were actively breeding. Some of them little boar's would get right in your face and tell you who's who in the woods too. Good thing they don't get as big as the ones Tom has around or you'd need bear spray for protection. - eric

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
Tom

When y'all going to be down there?  I'll try to stop in and say hey.

R

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
That would be great Ryan. Are you close to the Sullivan area?

They haven't decided on an exact date yet. Told me December or January this time instead of October. Hopefully they'll give me at least a couple weeks notice.
Tom Mussatto

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
"December or January this time instead of October."

Ill.? Sounds snowy. No leaves, by then. Not fair for the squirrels in those little short trees, is it?    :knothead:  

Put snowshoes on the dogs.   :p  

Hope to see some film.

Tell Dean "hey" for me.
Joey Ward

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Joey Ward:
Ill.? Sounds snowy. No leaves, by then. Not fair for the squirrels in those little short trees, is it?     :knothead: [/QB]
They probably won't, but using dogs this time.  

Tell Dean "hey" for me. [/QB]
Will do.

How ya been Joey? Did you count all your fingers and toes after your last hunt?  :bigsmyl:
Tom Mussatto

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Yep. Got all eighteen.   :biglaugh:
Joey Ward

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
18 should be a plenty  :goldtooth:    :biglaugh:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
I called one in yesterday with a doe distress call.  It must have sounded like a doe squirrel in distress, I guess.  Heh.

The deer, on the other hand were not having any of it.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
Tom, you're a man after my own heart. My hunting Pard, Kenny and I are trying to hurry up and bag a deer, so we can get "Roxy"(our squirrel dog) out. It's waaaay too dry to sneak on the little buggers around here. I've managed a dozen or so, but it's been tough.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©